How much time do I need from Barcelona cruise port to airport to catch international flight.

Btcutter

Really would appreciate inputs from experienced cruisers.

MSC Fantasia schedule says arrival at Barcelona at 8 am.  I am looking at International flight out of Barcelona at 11:30 am.

Is 3:30 enough time?  I understand Taxi from Barcelona cruise port to airport is about 20 min.

We do have priority disembarkation if that helps with your answer.

Are cruises usually late to disembark?

Thanks in advance!

A couple of weeks ago we disembarked at 8:30 for a noon flight out of BCN.  We used the ship transfer which was very well organized.  It was a very leisurely check in and we were in the terminal well before boarding.   However our ship docked much earlier and passengers started disembarking as early as 7 or 7:30 am, if memory serves.     I would be very comfortable with 3.5 hours.  Unfortunately, if your ship literally docs at 8, you won't have 3.5 hours.   You might still be OK, but I will defer to others with more knowledge of MSC and/or Barcelona airport lead times.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

A couple of weeks ago we disembarked at 8:30 for a noon flight out of BCN.  We used the ship transfer which was very well organized.  It was a very leisurely check in and we were in the terminal well before boarding.   However our ship docked much earlier and passengers started disembarking as early as 7 or 7:30 am, if memory serves.     I would be very comfortable with 3.5 hours.  Unfortunately, if your ship literally docs at 8, you won't have 3.5 hours.   You might still be OK, but I will defer to others with more knowledge of MSC and/or Barcelona airport lead times.   

Much appreciate your input.  Love to hear other's experiences.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Btcutter said:

Much appreciate your input.  Love to hear other's experiences.

I should have mentioned we were on a Princess cruise, not MSC.   But I don't know that it would matter much.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Btcutter said:

Really would appreciate inputs from experienced cruisers.

MSC Fantasia schedule says arrival at Barcelona at 8 am.  I am looking at International flight out of Barcelona at 11:30 am.

Is 3:30 enough time?  I understand Taxi from Barcelona cruise port to airport is about 20 min.

We do have priority disembarkation if that helps with your answer.

Are cruises usually late to disembark?

Thanks in advance!

I have been on multiple cruises from BCN.  All have arrived earlier than advertised, we have never been delayed at customs.  All our cruises have been within the Schengen area so that is probably a factor.    We were once delayed because the ship stopped to pick up some people from a dinghy, crossing from Africa to Europe.  Fortunately we were leaving on a pm train.  

Whilst you probably do have plenty of time to get to the airport on time - on most days, there are always going to be days when arrival is late or the taxi line is long.   Certainly the taxi line builds up through the morning I think.  We are always away by 7.30 am so it is hard for me to be sure.

Personally I would get a later flight.  I had the same dilemma leaving from Venice airport in a month’s time.  I have taken the later flight.  I know that I could easily have gone for the earlier one but I cannot bear spending a whole cruise wondering if we will miss the flight. 

So my question is - if you miss the flight what is the worst that will happen? - If the answer is just that you catch the next flight anyway, then it is a no brainer.  If you would be seriously troubled by having to buy new tickets and perhaps looking for an overnight hotel, then you might consider taking a later flight.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I have been on multiple cruises from BCN.  All have arrived earlier than advertised, we have never been delayed at customs.  All our cruises have been within the Schengen area so that is probably a factor.    We were once delayed because the ship stopped to pick up some people from a dinghy, crossing from Africa to Europe.  Fortunately we were leaving on a pm train.  

Whilst you probably do have plenty of time to get to the airport on time - on most days, there are always going to be days when arrival is late or the taxi line is long.   Certainly the taxi line builds up through the morning I think.  We are always away by 7.30 am so it is hard for me to be sure.

Personally I would get a later flight.  I had the same dilemma leaving from Venice airport in a month’s time.  I have taken the later flight.  I know that I could easily have gone for the earlier one but I cannot bear spending a whole cruise wondering if we will miss the flight. 

So my question is - if you miss the flight what is the worst that will happen? - If the answer is just that you catch the next flight anyway, then it is a no brainer.  If you would be seriously troubled by having to buy new tickets and perhaps looking for an overnight hotel, then you might consider taking a later flight.  

Appreciate such useful information. Problem is if I don’t leave by 11:20 AM then the next flight really is next day.  Then issue is catching another flight in the state to follow.  Sequence of undesirable events.

13 hours ago, Btcutter said:

Appreciate such useful information. Problem is if I don’t leave by 11:20 AM then the next flight really is next day.  Then issue is catching another flight in the state to follow.  Sequence of undesirable events.

I really do get the dilemma.  If you get off as soon as you can, you are 95% certain to catch the flight - if you are cruising from Schengen area.    I just think you need to think through the “what is the worst that could happen?” question.  

Can you go via Madrid??   

On 4/12/2023 at 5:25 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I really do get the dilemma.  If you get off as soon as you can, you are 95% certain to catch the flight - if you are cruising from Schengen area.    I just think you need to think through the “what is the worst that could happen?” question.  

Can you go via Madrid??   

Does this apply to non-EU passport holders?  I'm departing Symphony of the Seas, that docks at 6:00am and was hoping to make an 11:15am flight, from BCN to London Gatwick.  But are there long lines for non-EU citizens at the airport that could delay things?

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Does this apply to non-EU passport holders?  I'm departing Symphony of the Seas, that docks at 6:00am and was hoping to make an 11:15am flight, from BCN to London Gatwick.  But are there long lines for non-EU citizens at the airport that could delay things?

it is about where the ship has been.  So if it has stayed in the Schengen area then you should be ok (but I am willing to accept someone who has more current info due to Brexit as you are flying to Uk) .  However, you are only going to Gatwick.  You are not rushing for a transatlantic flight.  Back to my question - what is the worst that can happen?  Have you enough on your credit card to cover a short flight if your insurance will not cover ????

The last time I flew from BCN, Schengen exit took more than an hour for non-EU passports. If it's MSC, it's likely to be only hundreds of other cruise passengers trying to catch non-Schengen flights, rather than thousands. Low-risk, but a lot more than zero-risk.

Where the ship has been is almost certainly irrelevant, Barcelona is not likely to be the first Schengen port.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, Dancer Bob said:

Where the ship has been is almost certainly irrelevant, Barcelona is not likely to be the first Schengen port.

Aah, so it would have to be the first Schengen port, not them coming from a cruise that has been non-Schengen.  I find it so confusing even though I cross into and out of a Schengen area multiple times a year.