Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

3 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I hope you and Dad have a wonderful cruise despite your disappointment.

I also hope we meet on a cruise one day! I appreciate the respect and gratitude you have for the officers and crew!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Alaska is our next bucket list!  So I am excited to follow along on your cruise with your dad!  I wanted to be a librarian who traveled the world when I was growing up.  I ended up in HR, who has only made it to the Caribbean, Panama Canal and Mexico (so far), so you are inspiring to me!

I hope you get to Alaska one day!  Being a teacher librarian is a dream job and I go to work happy and leave work happy.  Most of my students are from Syria and have experienced significant trauma so our school has incredible challenges. 

Have you read The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes? This novel is based on the real pack horse traveling librarians.

1443B05D-A94E-4465-AEB9-A4BC56DAF77A.jpeg.2a1c40ba1e72603ea5c6f74cac3af03c.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, sansroof said:

Your planner is amazing! I want to do the same for my house but I don’t think I have your organization skills. So happy to follow along on your live WITH your dad! I have read prior threads after the fact and found them delightful. 

Oh, I can organize the heck out of anything. On the executive functioning survey, I score 100% in organization.  In contrast, I score 2% in flexibility!

Thank you for your kind words!

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

Love your spreadsheet! I think I'm definitely an over organizer as I have a six-page excel spreadsheet with tabs for itinerary, packing lists, to-do before we cruise, etc., but I think I'll copy your format for DH and make him his very own. I love organizing the heck out of stuff!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Have you read The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes? This novel is based on the real pack horse traveling librarians.

It's funny you recommended this!  I bought it a few years back, but it's in my TBR pile.  So I grabbed it this morning and am starting it today.  Thanks!

I do love a good book recommendation.  Makes me crave a good trip to my local library.  Oh the memories of hunting through the stacks.  And with a cruise for us in 30 days, I need a few new reads for sea days!

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, Jed12345 said:

We've done this twice and it was a great time!

IMG_0176.JPG

Hi! This might be a stupid question, but did passengers who love octopuses get to hold the octopus or did only the crew hold the octopus?

38 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Please let me what ones you take on your upcoming cruise.  Thanks to a friend’s inspiration, I’ve started matching my books to the places I’’m cruising.

This retired librarian loves reading books set in my destination. I drive my DH crazy saying things like “oh that street corner was in my book.” Of course, I felt like I’d been in Skagway before remembering that Sandra Bullock movie, The Engagement.

• Like 1

10 days to go!

This week’s adventure with dad took us to Central Park. It was drizzly and misty then sunny and cold.  My dad said it felt like winter.

F272E2B4-0055-4119-A4BE-F8C190504A0E.thumb.jpeg.401a464b05a5a2aa5ebf986692301c05.jpeg

He also said, “aaaaah, aaahhhh, it got me!”

i looked around in panic and asked, “what got you?” He said a raindrop landed on his nose.

Later when some drops of precipitation fell off a cedar tree he looked up and said, “stupid tree.”

00F78FBF-6288-41C7-B30A-0CEDB10ADB86.thumb.jpeg.7a6957e0a29244f37265782be854e0f8.jpeg

We enjoyed a gorgeous, fresh walk and at the end he said, “we didn’t see much wildlife, did we?”

Me: “we saw 17 squirrels, a chipmunk, an itchy goose, lots of ducks and crows, two woodpeckers, chickadees and a dead mole.  What more could you want?”

Then we went for Japanese food.

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi! This might be a stupid question, but did passengers who love octopuses get to hold the octopus or did only the crew hold the octopus?

Only the crew when we were there. We did hold the crab.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:58 PM, YVRteacher said:

In my job I spend a lot of time learning about and implementing universal design for learning, inclusions and adaptations. 
To support my dad, here is our cruise planner.  It’s like the large print version of a spreadsheet.

86C09DB3-BC69-4304-B2B1-C42E07FEF128.thumb.jpeg.5044803ddd5d0656ec1333b66173906a.jpeg

This is brilliant!  Making one for my dad and sister today 😉

I got excited that your thermal spa was in CAD (which with the exchange is cheaper)…but sadly on mine it has been $199 USD the whole time. Next cruise with the hubby I want to try the thermal spa! (Or if they have day passes might check it out). 
      Working on a packing list for my dad today- he is notorious for not packing enough clothes on every trip we have ever taken. 

• Like 2

I’m going to help my dad pack for this cruise too.  A couple weeks ago we went to Parksville for the long weekend and he didn’t bring warm clothes. Two years ago for the Christmas trip he didn’t pack underwear.  Last year for Alaska he packed one pair of pants. One!  A packing intervention is in order!

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

I always pack for DH now, too (while checking the packing list I made for him). A couple of years ago, on a Mississippi River cruise, he packed FIVE  black t-shirts so, while it made dressing easy for him, it looked like he was wearing the same t-shirt everyday! 😁

• Haha 9

Aw, look!

NCL missed me!

040DFC44-84E6-413D-9B0A-74E3506B6909.thumb.jpeg.116cc7828863effd81c55823385db1ca.jpeg

Dear NCL

Thank you for missing me but this will be my 11th cruise since the restart.  Perhaps it is time to update this letter.

Also, thank you for the 12 luggage tags.  They will be very useful for the carry-on only luggage. May I suggest that you cut costs by eliminating these letters and luggage tags? This way crepes can be available every night on every ship.

Kind regards,

Your loyal passenger who loves crepes (and trivia.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

I'm really looking forward to another one of your entertaining, humourous reviews. Thanks in advance.

While not related to your cruise destination, I just finished "Someone Else's Shoes", the latest by Jojo Moyes and it was a very enjoyable read with lots of female friendships, revenge, humour and a good pair of shoes. 😃

• Like 2