Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

10 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Is something wrong with NCL? Are they slipping?

I only received 3 email reminders to watch the safety video before boarding!

Just wait. I think I got 5 for each of us - so 20 in total. 

• Haha 3

So the tortoise email didn’t land well.  My dad was sceptical about the truth of its age and asked how they knew it was 188 years old.

I replied that they just counted the candles on his birthday cake.

For fun (because I’m a librarian who can’t let an opportunity for research slide) once a tortoise has died researchers can count the growth rings in the bones to determine age, just like with trees.

I just finished packing.

2 books (there’s a library on board too)

2 dresses

2 pairs of pants

1 hoodie

1 dressy long sleeve top

a bunch of black dressy tops in different styles 

1 dressy scarf 

my favourite toque

3 pairs of stretchy Lululemon leggings for when the almond croissants start to add some bulk

4 pairs of black socks

7 pairs of undies

flip flops for the hot tub

Blundstones

Pumas

Dansko sandals for the ship

and seasick bands

oh, and bubbles! You bet I packed bubbles.  I also packed my word of the year and my sunglasses and sunscreen.

My dad packed earlier today. He was in a great mood when I called him after dinner and I love that he still gets excited for cruising.  He is taking a taxi from his place to my place then I’m getting in the taxi and we are continuing to the port.  It’s about a 13 minute drive from my house to Canada Place. This will be the first time since his stroke that my dad will be taking a taxi alone.  I had him write my address and phone number on a piece of paper just in case.  The concierge at his residence will help him phone for a taxi.  Wish us luck!

On the Bliss for Spring Break the WiFi was a challenge and I had 150 minutes the first week which drained 15 minutes every time I tried to post here.  On this cruise I will have 300 minutes each week (600 minutes total) since my dad doesn’t have a phone or a device so hopefully daily posts will happen.  My dad still pronounces WiFi “whiffy” so you get an idea of his refusal to modernize communication.  One of these days I’m going to have to get those luggage tracker GPS things to put in his jacket pocket. For now, I’ll just use all the free internet minutes and be grateful for the time we have.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

29 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

So the tortoise email didn’t land well.  My dad was sceptical about the truth of its age and asked how they knew it was 188 years old.

I replied that they just counted the candles on his birthday cake.

For fun (because I’m a librarian who can’t let an opportunity for research slide) once a tortoise has died researchers can count the growth rings in the bones to determine age, just like with trees.

I just finished packing.

2 books (there’s a library on board too)

2 dresses

2 pairs of pants

1 hoodie

1 dressy long sleeve top

a bunch of black dressy tops in different styles 

1 dressy scarf 

my favourite toque

3 pairs of stretchy Lululemon leggings for when the almond croissants start to add some bulk

4 pairs of black socks

7 pairs of undies

flip flops for the hot tub

Blundstones

Pumas

Dansko sandals for the ship

and seasick bands

oh, and bubbles! You bet I packed bubbles.  I also packed my word of the year and my sunglasses and sunscreen.

My dad packed earlier today. He was in a great mood when I called him after dinner and I love that he still gets excited for cruising.  He is taking a taxi from his place to my place then I’m getting in the taxi and we are continuing to the port.  It’s about a 13 minute drive from my house to Canada Place. This will be the first time since his stroke that my dad will be taking a taxi alone.  I had him write my address and phone number on a piece of paper just in case.  The concierge at his residence will help him phone for a taxi.  Wish us luck!

On the Bliss for Spring Break the WiFi was a challenge and I had 150 minutes the first week which drained 15 minutes every time I tried to post here.  On this cruise I will have 300 minutes each week (600 minutes total) since my dad doesn’t have a phone or a device so hopefully daily posts will happen.  My dad still pronounces WiFi “whiffy” so you get an idea of his refusal to modernize communication.  One of these days I’m going to have to get those luggage tracker GPS things to put in his jacket pocket. For now, I’ll just use all the free internet minutes and be grateful for the time we have.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS AND LOTS OF PRAYERS HEADING YOUR DIRECTION.

• Like 1

I'm so glad it's Monday (a work day for me, so I can follow along all week)! Have an incredible cruise, filled with moments of laughter, bubble fun, and plenty of stories you can share with us. 

Here on the opposite coast, wishing you a perfect day (after that 11:15 dismissal). 

• Like 1

I'm so excited for you because it's cruise day!!  Love reading your reviews. We will be doing the Vancouver to Seward cruise in May 2024. I love the Jewel. If you eat in Moderno for breakfast or Cagneys for Lunch, please pass on a big hello to Victor Cordoza from Mike & Kim. He is one of the waiters and he was fantastic when we cruised on the Panama Canal cruise in March.

Edited by quillwercruisers
vocabulary
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

I'm so excited for you because it's cruise day!!  Love reading your reviews. We will be doing the Vancouver to Seward cruise in May 2024. I love the Jewel. If you eat in Moderno for breakfast or Cagneys for Lunch, please pass on a big hello to Victor Cordoza from Mike & Kim. He is one of the waiters and he was fantastic when we cruised on the Panama Canal cruise in March.

I will say hi to Victor!  We will be in Cagney’s today for lunch in about 5 hours

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Have I ever told you what a wonderful daughter you are?! Wishing you and Dad a fabulous cruise!

Aw, Niki, thank you.  He is a wonderful dad too!

• Like 3

Just got off the jewel. We had the most amazing eight days. 

The captain was Stefan ???

sorry, I could not find the board with the photos and names. 

The team in the Haven is very special. 

We did have toilet problems all week. Absolutely did not upset us. We had many laughs about out lack of whooshing. 

Sad to be sitting in the airport to go home. 

ncl is definitely missing out by not giving incentives onboard to book your next trip. We are going to bug would have liked to have it done 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nadeki said:

Just got off the jewel. We had the most amazing eight days. 

The captain was Stefan ???

sorry, I could not find the board with the photos and names. 

The team in the Haven is very special. 

We did have toilet problems all week. Absolutely did not upset us. We had many laughs about out lack of whooshing. 

Sad to be sitting in the airport to go home. 

ncl is definitely missing out by not giving incentives onboard to book your next trip. We are going to bug would have liked to have it done 

Glad you had a great cruise!

• Like 1

We are at the port.  Insane line to get in but fine for Haven and other priority groups.

This is the Haven line

IMG_2158.thumb.jpeg.59aa536a3e90a38c44102bc74215f05b.jpeg

and this is the general boarding.

IMG_2155.thumb.jpeg.9fdd662bfdfe22126e1d30b79809d2f0.jpeg

I have asked for wheelchair assistance through security so now we are waiting.  They told us they are short on wheelchairs and we should buy our own.  I ignored that comment.

here is my luggage

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.2ba45d05b7b1484f2c83e4bb8dc23049.jpeg

and here is dad’s

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.54a86f6866adb078670f289cd6ce0ae3.jpeg

most importantly, here is the Jewel

IMG_2153.thumb.jpeg.d9ae334ab2d48840ddb6a5de456397ab.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

• Like 12