Queens Grille Menu

Joe33472

I’m probably way over thinking this, but I’ve been scouring the internet for sample menus for the Queens Grille restaurant and from what I’ve seen, our lunch and dinner options are fairly limited.  The main reason is us, and not Cunard.  My SO and I don’t eat any seafood or shellfish.  We also don’t like lamb, beef Wellington, pattee, foie gras, cavier, lobster, etc.  It’s not that we’re unexposed to these food items or that we’ve haven’t been to a nice restaurant, it’s just our preferences.  We eat a lot of things….. Steak, chicken, most Italian food, pasta, etc.    I like mushrooms, but my SO doesn’t eat those either.    We like salads, soups, appetizers (as long as these don’t involve fish or anything from the ocean)…. We like desserts too, which all of those look great.   Breakfast is also good for us and plenty for us to eat.  

From the posts that I’ve read, many order off menu items like chateau briand or lobster, but that’s not going to cut it for 7 nights.   Do you think it’s possible to order chicken anything (e.g. Marsala, Madeira, piccata)?    How about some pasta like carbonara, Alfredo?  Lasagna?   For lunch, I really don’t want a hamburger for 7 days, but if that’s what it takes.   I know we should try to be a little adventurous, but if we have to order off menu, what are some more choices that wouldn’t put the kitchen staff too out..  We definitely don’t want to be “high maintenance”.    I understand that we’ll see the lunch and dinner menus early in the day, should we mention to the waiter at breakfast or lunch that the dinner menu isn’t going to work if we can’t find something?   

8 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I’m probably way over thinking this, but I’ve been scouring the internet for sample menus for the Queens Grille restaurant and from what I’ve seen, our lunch and dinner options are fairly limited.  The main reason is us, and not Cunard.  My SO and I don’t eat any seafood or shellfish.  We also don’t like lamb, beef Wellington, pattee, foie gras, cavier, lobster, etc.  It’s not that we’re unexposed to these food items or that we’ve haven’t been to a nice restaurant, it’s just our preferences.  We eat a lot of things….. Steak, chicken, most Italian food, pasta, etc.    I like mushrooms, but my SO doesn’t eat those either.    We like salads, soups, appetizers (as long as these don’t involve fish or anything from the ocean)…. We like desserts too, which all of those look great.   Breakfast is also good for us and plenty for us to eat.  

From the posts that I’ve read, many order off menu items like chateau briand or lobster, but that’s not going to cut it for 7 nights.   Do you think it’s possible to order chicken anything (e.g. Marsala, Madeira, piccata)?    How about some pasta like carbonara, Alfredo?  Lasagna?   For lunch, I really don’t want a hamburger for 7 days, but if that’s what it takes.   I know we should try to be a little adventurous, but if we have to order off menu, what are some more choices that wouldn’t put the kitchen staff too out..  We definitely don’t want to be “high maintenance”.    I understand that we’ll see the lunch and dinner menus early in the day, should we mention to the waiter at breakfast or lunch that the dinner menu isn’t going to work if we can’t find something?   

Joe33472 order what you like. If the ingredients are on the chip [and the chef knows the recipe ] then you can order it.,

The Maître d’ usually comes round at lunch and asks if the dinner menu is OK, and I’m sure they’ll be happy to do various forms of chicken. There is usually a pasta dish on the lunch menu, and I have seen them prepared to order at people’s tables. In addition, there is a separate veggie menu, which might provide you with more choice. There are always salads on both menus, and also the lunch menu says a choice of cold meat is always available. I’m sure sure you’ll manage to find enough without having to repeat your choice too much. They will do more or less anything you want, given sufficient notice. A word the first night about your requirements might save some trouble.

• Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Joe33472 order what you like. If the ingredients are on the ship [and the chef knows the recipe ] then you can order it and believe me, you will most definitely NOT be putting anyone out when you order off menu, lunch or dinner, or both, one day or every day.

ship, not chip!

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Freudian slip, obviously. Not had chips for yonks. Brain must be telling me chips are required! 😄

In fact, I don’t think chips are Cunard’s best thing. Or not the version they serve with the sandwich of the day.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

In fact, I don’t think chips are Cunard’s best thing. Or not the version they serve with the sandwich of the day.

Have to disagree.

Skinny or chunky, they're a real treat.

Fillet mignon, sauce on the side,  plus fries and a great side salad to my specification is my go to when I want something simple. Just order at lunch time.

Peking Duck  requires ordering three days in advance and  some dishes I'd order the night before but most requests can be facilitated by a lunchtime order for that evening's dinner.

Many of the pasta dishes are table-side finished and it's all done with a bit of a show/panache by either your Head Waiter or the Maitre'd.

If anything from the pop ups in the Lido catch your eye, then put your order in for dinner one evening in QG. If Bamboo is scheduled, I always ask for the Mandarin Crispy Chilli  Beef one night.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Have to disagree.

Skinny or chunky, they're a real treat.

Fillet mignon, sauce on the side,  plus fries and a great side salad to my specification is my go to when I want something simple. Just order at lunch time.

Peking Duck  requires ordering three days in advance and  some dishes I'd order the night before but most requests can be facilitated by a lunchtime order for that evening's dinner.

Many of the pasta dishes are table-side finished and it's all done with a bit of a show/panache by either your Head Waiter or the Maitre'd.

If anything from the pop ups in the Lido catch your eye, then put your order in for dinner one evening in QG. If Bamboo is scheduled, I always ask for the Mandarin Crispy Chilli  Beef one night.

I much prefer the chunky ones.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Unfortunately our Chips were kettle style and very well accompanied the Club Sandwich we had in PG.. we even asked for more...

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Joe33472 order what you like. If the ingredients are on the chip [and the chef knows the recipe ] then you can order it.,

Thank you!  This is great to know.  We will definitely try to order of the regular menu if we can, but this is good to know if things don't work out.    

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The Maître d’ usually comes round at lunch and asks if the dinner menu is OK, and I’m sure they’ll be happy to do various forms of chicken. There is usually a pasta dish on the lunch menu, and I have seen them prepared to order at people’s tables. In addition, there is a separate veggie menu, which might provide you with more choice. There are always salads on both menus, and also the lunch menu says a choice of cold meat is always available. I’m sure sure you’ll manage to find enough without having to repeat your choice too much. They will do more or less anything you want, given sufficient notice. A word the first night about your requirements might save some trouble.

Salads are great.  Throw some steak or chicken on top and I'm in heaven.   I would love a charcuterie board for lunch with a small salad.   

I wasn't sure if it would be helpful to mention the preferences, but that makes sense.   I also see that some dishes have seafood as an accompaniment.   Like grilled t-bone with langoustine.  I'm sure they can hold the langoustine.    Clearly, the lobster thermidor (while sounding delicious) is off the table, but the gruyere cheese crust, breadcrumbs, and wine sauce sounds great, maybe they can make it with chicken (just kidding) 🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Thank you!  This is great to know.  We will definitely try to order of the regular menu if we can, but this is good to know if things don't work out.    

We are usually asked every day if we want to order anything, possibly because we're known for going off menu but if no one asks you that particular day, be  proactive and ask. It's expected at any time  and you will not be putting anyone out.

My lunch order  for instance varies from sushi to a salad of my own fixings; caprese [large plate] or carpaccio [beef or tuna] etc etc.  🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Salads are great.  Throw some steak or chicken on top and I'm in heaven.   I would love a charcuterie board for lunch with a small salad.   

I wasn't sure if it would be helpful to mention the preferences, but that makes sense.   I also see that some dishes have seafood as an accompaniment.   Like grilled t-bone with langoustine.  I'm sure they can hold the langoustine.    Clearly, the lobster thermidor (while sounding delicious) is off the table, but the gruyere cheese crust, breadcrumbs, and wine sauce sounds great, maybe they can make it with chicken (just kidding) 🤣🤣

When they have the Italian pop-up, La Piazza, they have a splendid plate of antipasti. My husband and I have to share it to have any hope of reaching pudding. I’m sure you could ask the QG to do you one (or two). They have lots of steaks that don’t involve shellfish, a combination I can never see the point of anyway. But just ask, and it will be brought. (Very probably.)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately our Chips were kettle style and very well accompanied the Club Sandwich we had in PG.. we even asked for more...

Unfortunately, Kettle Chips as opposed to UK chips [think fries 🙂] are one of the regular snacks provided  [and replenished when necessary] on a daily basis each morning in our cabin.

I have yet to have the backbone to say 'NO, Take Them Away'! 😕

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Unfortunately, Kettle Chips as opposed to UK chips [think fries 🙂] are one of the regular snacks provided  [and replenished when necessary] on a daily basis each morning in our cabin.

All this talk of chips and fries is making me hungry!   I haven't meet too many chips or fries that I didn't like.... 🤣🤣   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Are kettle chips a form of what I would call a crisp?

Just now, NE John said:

@Joe33472, are you on PG or QG for your QM2 TA? I believe you said you were on the 10th Floor. 

Is ordering off menu in PG as free-flowing as in QG? I know this subject has been brought up with various responses. 

PG off menu choices are supposed to be more restricted.

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Kettles are more crispy but hold the salt more. Also can retain a bit of oil which is taste.

6 minutes ago, NE John said:

@Joe33472, are you on PG or QG for your QM2 TA? I believe you said you were on the 10th Floor. 

Is ordering off menu in PG as free-flowing as in QG? I know this subject has been brought up with various responses. 

We had no problem last sailing.

Out of 14 days our PG Headwaiter and MaitreD accomplished our special requests about at dinner 6 times.

It's your approach and develop repor with them.

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

QG was mentioned i the opening post, hence my replies.

I can't help if it's PG.

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes, I actually booked PG for about a week, and then called up and had the room switched to a QG suite.  It's a little more room, but I think that the off menu ordering in the QG restaurant was what really pushed it over the top in my decision.   

From my research here, it sounds like there is a little more discretion in QG than PG with off menu requests.   We're really not that fussy, perhaps our palates are just not that refined and we need to broaden our selections and perspectives!  Perhaps we need to be a little more adventurous.    

One of my original post asked should we do BC or PG?  Decided on PG and thought it was a good decision.  And now we end up in a QG.  If we ever do a TA again, I think we would probably do BC, save the money and spend it in Europe.  But for this trip, we're not watching the budget too much. 

• Like 1