Wheelchairs/scooters use on ship

bobolz

To those that have either needed a wheelchair or scooter while on board and during excursions, I’m curious where you parked the scooter while sleeping, how you managed them on excursions or getting on and off ship.

the reason I ask is my father (82) has been struggling with lack of stamina when walking more than 15 minutes without sitting down. (He has been slowing down the last few years, but he was able to get around without assistance) So far the doctors  he has been able to see can’t find any specific cause or  a treatment to alleviate the issue. We thought renting him a scooter for this cruise would  give him some level of independence and comfort in knowing he could take tours and get around the ship on his own. I’m curious where people store their scooters. I feel like I have seen them outside rooms, but unsure.

Welcome any advice or first hand experience especially getting on and off a ship and into tenders. I’m pretty sure the crew  either carry the chair/scooter up and down the stairs and into tenders for you and I’ve seen some disabled folks getting special access while in port at the lower access area normally designated for loading guests into tenders or luggage/supplies

thanks in advance

Generally scooters are not to be left outside cabins.  They clog the hallway in general and especially if there was am emergency.  An accessible suite needs to be booked in order that the scooter fits inside.  On other lines there is sometimes room to park in the lift foyer.

A person has to be able to step onto the tender, albeit with assistance. Rough weather would preclude that.  A folding scooter can be handed in by the seamen. 

The problem with scooters and wheelchairs being left outside the cabin stops other disabled people getting past.  I have not seen them parked outside SS but have come across it on some other lines.  If you use a walker as Ido or a wheelchair you have great difficulty getting past a scooter.

I am a paraplegic and use a manual wheelchair so I am not as knowledgeable about scooters but do have some insight. 
- there are now collapsible scooters you can buy/rent which could be used and then folded up in the cabin while charging. 
- SS suites are big enough for a moderate size scooter however the door width may preclude bringing it into a standard cabin. 
- you can not take a scooter on many tours as the bus will not accommodate them. 
- SS will provide assistance on and off tenders. they will lift me on and off in my wheelchair. However some scooters are too heavy to lifted on and off so take that into consideration When selecting one if you have tender ports. 
- there are also light weight portable electric wheelchairs which maybe able to be rented which maybe more compact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, broker1217 said:

I was just on the Moon and there were many, many scooters, wheelchairs and walkers in the hallways. Electric wheelchairs and scooters were plugged into hallway outlets to recharge.

If this was the case, it is very disappointing. Also presents various kinds of hazard.  If this was an ongoing situation, I would have a conversation with the HD and perhaps the safety officer.  I have some mobility challenges, but I am respectful of the needs of others.

Is this simply another case of Silversea enforcing reasonable expectations, such as guests' following the dress code for the evening and venue in which they are dining or not reserving pool loungers?  

The hallways were wide enough that it did not seem to present a problem.

We were able to walk past easily.

But-obviously the question is what would happen in an emergency situation.

For example, the passenger in the cabin next to us was traveling solo and used an oversize walker due to his size. He fell twice in his cabin, one time screaming for help late at night.

Who would get him down stairs or off the ship in an emergency?

There were at least 5-10 devices on each deck any time we were out.

This was our first SS cruise and it did give us pause. Most of our previous cruises were on Viking and any assistive device must be stored in your cabin.

Edited by broker1217

4 hours ago, JSR said:

I am a paraplegic and use a manual wheelchair so I am not as knowledgeable about scooters but do have some insight. 
- there are now collapsible scooters you can buy/rent which could be used and then folded up in the cabin while charging. 
- SS suites are big enough for a moderate size scooter however the door width may preclude bringing it into a standard cabin. 
- you can not take a scooter on many tours as the bus will not accommodate them. 
- SS will provide assistance on and off tenders. they will lift me on and off in my wheelchair. However some scooters are too heavy to lifted on and off so take that into consideration When selecting one if you have tender ports. 
- there are also light weight portable electric wheelchairs which maybe able to be rented which maybe more compact. 

Thanks JSR for your firsthand knowledge, experience and recommendations and everyone for your observations and concerns. JSR-you say they don’t allow scooters on excursions, I assumed they would stow it under the bus in the luggage section? I guess there is no storage under these buses? I assume your wheelchair collapses and is brought on board and is stored in the seat next to you?

I agree leaving it out in the hallway is a potential safety hazard as well as inconsiderate to those who utilize wheelchairs or walkers who have to navigate around them . I’m shocked to hear there were that many on broker’s last cruise. I can imagine that was very inconvenient for not only passengers with disabilities , but also the crew. 

unfortunately we had not booked a handicapped room since it was not and still not needed. So finding a collapsible scooter or wheelchair may be our only option .

I’ll see what this company offers for rentals. 

thanks again everyone 

Edited by bobolz

@bobolz some buses have the ability to store a scooter others do not. You would have to work with the shore excursion desk to sort that out. You can also do this in advance though not all the information I received prior to our last cruise was accurate. 
I do not take bus tours. I can not walk or stand so I can’t get in and out of the buses. I mostly book my own excursions. They are accessible and a bit more of the beaten track. Where is your cruise to? 

We were on the Lisbon to Barcelona on the Moon. Lots of scooters and wheelchairs but we did not see any parking in the hallway. We at different times saw most decks.

The only problem we had was one woman with a scooter thought that it meant she could push in anywhere. On excursions she didn’t seem to need her scooter.

In restaurants a waiter usually parked the scooter out of the way.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

We were on the Lisbon to Barcelona on the Moon. Lots of scooters and wheelchairs but we did not see any parking in the hallway. We at different times saw most decks.

The only problem we had was one woman with a scooter thought that it meant she could push in anywhere. On excursions she didn’t seem to need her scooter.

In restaurants a waiter usually parked the scooter out of the way.

Shame they couldn't park the woman out of the way. 

• Haha 2

We have traveled with a rollator on Silversea, it was collapsible but when not collapsed just barely made it into the suite thru the door. We did not leave it in the corridors!

If there had been other scooters in the suite hallways we would never have been able to navigate the rollator past them.

Its also a challenge in the restaurants due to the table locations but the crew are most helpful in finding a table that has enough room for the rollator to permit a transfer and then finding a place to stow it.

As for excursions, we did not even attempt them. 

In rough weather, we stayed in the suite. 

Getting on and off the ship was in a wheelchair, and no small feat as Dr. Spins is 6 ‘3 tall and a couple of hundred pounds. The crew were able to push and pull him and even carry him a short distance. While I was able to push the chair, I do not think I could have pushed it up the ramps to embark.

The crew are just amazing. We are indebted to them for their help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobolz said:

JSR thanks so much for the info. We are doing northern Europe.

I have accessible port information for Reykjavik, some ports in Norway and Denmark, and Amsterdam, Southampton. If any of this overlaps let me know and I’ll post links or the actual info. 

On 4/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, broker1217 said:

I was just on the Moon and there were many, many scooters, wheelchairs and walkers in the hallways. Electric wheelchairs and scooters were plugged into hallway outlets to recharge.

Several mobility aids parked in the corridors on the Dawn on Barbados to Lisbon.   Still sufficient room for other mobility challenged individuals to get past.   Very disability friendly.

Recently on the Shadow and there were a few small scooters and walkers in the hallway on my deck, but they weren't a problem because the doorways are recessed enough that it creates an out-of-the-way space for parking. This wouldn't work for one of the large models that took the place of an electric wheelchair for one patient. She traveled with an attendant and they managed everything nicely, always booking private tours instead of taking the bus excursions. 

I think it's manageable @bobolz  I've seen many people use a walker that has a flip down seat to allow rest when needed. Maybe that's worth trying out before the cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 7:23 AM, drron29 said:

South Florida is infamous for the "miracle flights" that we have of people coming down from the north.  When boarding, a large number of wheelchairs are lined up for early boarding (especially on Southwest Airlines where it is first-aboard, first choice of seats).  When the flight arrives in South Florida, a large number of these "disabled" people get up and exit the plane on their suddenly-healed legs, rather than wait for the wheelchair crews to take them off the plane after everyone exits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Silver Spirit three times last year and never once saw a scooter or wheelchair parked in the corridor.  Perhaps they do not allow it.   

I use a rollator and have found SS to be great with disabled people.  In the case of emergency you have two crew members assigned to you and your first day onboard they come to your cabin and introduce themselves and take you to the boat drill and remain with you.

At home I use either my rollator or mobility scooter.  I have only taken the rollator on cruises and that is fine around the ship and in the luggage hold on coaches but I am limited which excursions I can do.  Apart from one coach doing an excursion from Fort Lauderdale I have never seen a scooter on a bus and think they would need a ramp to the boot for most models.  Mine takes apart into seven pieces when we go out in the car but definitely too heavy to lift assembled.  In a corridor in theory you could put the parts together but feel that that and going on a flight would be a nuisance and not something we will consider.

We are actually going on a cruise with Saga in a fortnight - no flight and car to port so we are for the first time taking the scooter but we are in an accessible cabin of which they have 10.  If you do not get one of these you cannot take scooter or wheelchair. I. am however uncertain if I  have done the right thing as I think going ashore will be difficult and wishing now I had just opted for my rollator which just limits distance.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:54 AM, JSR said:

I have accessible port information for Reykjavik, some ports in Norway and Denmark, and Amsterdam, Southampton. If any of this overlaps let me know and I’ll post links or the actual info. 

Thanks JSR , we already got a link from Silversea for this Scootaround company for wheelchair rentals. Southampton is on of the ports they deliver directly to the room. If you have other information for that port  that would be great, but think we are ok .

thanks again ! 

I would not recomend anyone reliant on scooter or wheelchair thinks about Silver Muse or any of the others built the same ,,,while occasionaly you might be able to get off on the flat on Deck 3 the majority of time its a very steep climb up a gangway to deck 5 

Seriously cannot believe who designed that ship because even able bodied struggle up it and certainly not buggy or wheelchair accesible ...

Edited by phillipahain
Spelling

1 minute ago, phillipahain said:

I would not recome d anyone reliant on scooter ir wheelchair thinks about Silver Muse or any of the others built the same ,,,while occasionaly you might be able to get off on the fkat on Deck 3 the majority of time its a very steep climb up a gangway to deck 5 

Seriously cannot believe who designed that ship because even able bodied struggle up it and certainly not buggy or wheelchair accesible ...

The staff is wonderful at helping those of us that use a wheelchair on and off the ship. Didn’t miss any ports on our last cruise even two tender ports and I do not walk or stand. This is not true of all cruise lines. I can say SS excels. 

• Like 1

Well, I am doing a cruise on Silver Muse this year, from Singapore to Cairns,  and sometimes use a rollator which I intended to use on this 14-night cruise. I have previously used it on a Princess cruise with no trouble at all.

I was concerned when I read phillipahain's summmary but much happier after JSR's response.

9 hours ago, JSR said:

The staff is wonderful at helping those of us that use a wheelchair on and off the ship. Didn’t miss any ports on our last cruise even two tender ports and I do not walk or stand. This is not true of all cruise lines. I can say SS excels. 

Not what we observed on recent cruise in Japan ,,,,,but fact remains the very steep gangway is a real challenge for the able bodied 

17 hours ago, phillipahain said:

I would not recomend anyone reliant on scooter or wheelchair thinks about Silver Muse or any of the others built the same ,,,while occasionaly you might be able to get off on the flat on Deck 3 the majority of time its a very steep climb up a gangway to deck 5 

We are on our third segment of the Moon around the Mediterranean at the moment. Most times when docked the exit has been straight off on Deck 3. On the 2 occasions deck 5 was used the wheelchair passengers on excursions were taken off from deck 3. Deck 5 was used as the ship was being provisioned. Obviously OK for a few wheelchair pax to be catered for but obviously if everyone was using deck 3 the provisioning would be hampered.

Also have noticed some wheel chair pax and a couple using rollators being taken ashore on the tenders. Out of the wheelchair on the ship and wheelchairs available where the tender docked.

As I have noted before there have been many passengers using wheelchairs and rollators on the cruise and on one segment at least 5 people on scooters around the ship. They were taken by wheelchair on excursions.