Millennium Alaska Stateroom Advice!

BeachTunes

Hello!

First of all, I am long overdue to share our trip report from our March 25th to April 1st Southern Caribbean ABC Islands cruise on The Millennium! Spoiler Alert: I'm asking about ANOTHER Millennium cruise in this post so we obviously loved it! 🙂  I promise to share our March trip report over the weekend! 

SO... WE ARE NOW LOOKING TO POTENTIALLY BOOK A SOUTHBOUND ALASKA CRUISE ON THE MILLENIUM IN AUGUST OR SEPTMBER! YAY!

We're watching a few dates and while we adore Aqua Class it's looking like a Concierge or Veranda stateroom will be in the cards for this Southbound Alaska trip. That said, we're interested in feedback on the following staterooms. Note: Pricing is VERY similar for each option and dates are within two weeks of each other.

Please feel welcome to share your feedback on:

1. Concierge Class 8046 (On the forward bumpout with a larger balcony).

2. Deck 10 Veranda Staterooms: These look interesting for Alaska as we could pop up to the Sky Lounge while at sea but are they noisy being underneath the lounge? We're eyeing 1014 or 1016.

3. Aft Veranda 7200 - A Veranda Stateroom on the aft starboard side.

Thank you all in advance for your input. I am sorry to come off as so neurotic but I have benefited from everyone's insights here so much! Cheers! 

Edited by BeachTunes

We did an August inside passage cruise many years ago on Infinity and had an aft cabin.  We were excited to have the big balcony, but the rainy weather kept us indoors for much of the cruise.  One amazing thing was when we went into Glacier Bay.  Our view was unbelievable and we were happy to have it.  We had a storm blow through near Skagway, and nearly got bounced out of our bed as the side thrusters turned the ship when they realized it would be too dangerous to attempt docking in the high seas.  IMO there’s more motion in the aft cabins on M-class ships than E-class, and there were times on Infinity we could feel the vibration of the engines while underway, on deck 8.

Also note that even when the sun is out, the veranda can be fairly cold from the wind of the ship while underway.  This is where an aft cabin can be an advantage.

August and September tend to be very rainy in Alaska, so you’ll want to plan for that strong possibility.

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 1

On the room review sticky, there is a review of a similar room under the lounge on Summit that complains about noise from above as well as crew carts wheeling things out to the deck through or near that hallway. 

I'd probably go with 8046 forward room because of the larger balcony.  Also near the forward elevators/stairs.  Should be quiet with rooms above and below.

• Like 1

I'd do Concierge with the bump out.  The cabin itself is slightly larger than a regular veranda.  There's also a good view from that balcony because you can easily look forward as well as just straight out.  On actual glacier viewing day you will likely be on the helipad or top decks or Skylounge to get the best views either way.  

• Like 1

Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate everyone's input! 💙

We're leaning towards the Concierge Class room with the extra space but a couple other interesting/well located staterooms have opened up for another sailing. 

With that said... 

Between these two dates, is one more ideal than the other for Alaska? 

1. August 25 - September 1

2. September 8 - 15

I'm thinking August weather *might* be better? I also thought the September date may be less busy but this particular sailing looks quite booked. So who knows?

I know, I know, I know... I'm overthinking everthing! This will be a very special trip for me as Alaska will check the box off for having visited all 50 United States! 🙂

We did this trip 10 years ago but it was the last week of August and it was pretty perfect.  Lots of salmon running in Ketchikan.  I think it was sunny most days - very hot the day we were in Juneau.  Some glimpses of bears and whales in the distance (we didn't go on specific tours to see them).  I've heard it can be more rainy in September and gets dark earlier.  

• Like 1

A couple thoughts.

Concierge has slightly larger staterooms but little other value to me.  Would pay a little extra for them.  Very little.

When we were entering or leaving a port or cruising in an interesting locale we were almost never in our cabin.  On deck particularly at the Sunset Bar or the running tract where visibility was far better.

September weather is likely to be clearer.  A bit of rain to put out forest fires.  September is also usually drier from all the time I spent in Sitka.  You also will see some color as leaves start changing by September. 

Last, absolutely positively spend a night or two in Seward.  Exit Glacier great.  Then shuttle to Anchorage Airport.  Take a car rental to at least Denali and back.  Spend a couple nights out.  Healy and Talkeetna.   Much clearer skies as smoke mostly gone and no crowds.

• Like 1

My vote would be for the Sunset Verandah.  I know not one of the choices.  Hee hee.  We were on deck 7 on Connie last year and loved the deeper, larger, partially shaded sunset verandah.  We probably spend way less time on our verandah than some, but I am a sucker for that wake view and sound.  Enjoyed the verandah more on sea days.  8046 will be cool being able to look forward and back.  Larger verandah is a  plus.  I overthink these things too.  Now where is that trip report??  I have been waiting for the blow by blow on your adventures as well as the photo journal on Slim’s cruise wardrobe.😀

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 2