best deals for solo cabins

bobby_c

The economy is stronger this year so solo cabin prices are

higher, but deals still are out there.

1. Carnival the valor, liberty, conquest and glory have inside

cabins designed for singles (called upper/lowers)

off peak trips are great values (the legend and

spirit do also)

2. RCCL happy hour specials (last minute bookings)

can be located at several locations (but i dont

think I can post them here)

3. Celebrity happy hours specials--but only a few per week

4. NCL search their data base--especially repo cruises

5. This forum ELBOW GREASE and hunting pay off on

individual under-booked sailings

post them here!!!!!!!!!!!!

moderator: can we post links to happy hour sailings and

cruise discounts?

• Administrators

cruise discounts?

If they are on a cruise line website, yes.

Laura

I notice that Holland America Line was not on your list. I find that I get some pretty good deals with them ... single supplements of no more than 50%. For a non-luxury line, that's pretty good. And, if you really can't afford (or don't want to) pay any single supplement at all, there is always the guaranteed share program ... guaranteed to be matched up with a roommate of your same gender, and you pay the normal double occupancy price for the cabin. If they can't match you, then you get the cabin to yourself at the aforementioned double occupancy rate.

Personally, though, I can't understand why we have to pay a single supplement of any amount on ANY line. I can't understand why some of these cruise lines can't just take a couple of cabins and literally chop them in half ... making them single occupancy cabins. They would be exactly half of what a regular cabin would be ... enough room for just a single bed, a small closet ... perhaps even a shared bathroom with the matching single occupancy cabin. There really is no excuse, in my opinion, for any single supplements to be charged ... not in this day and age when there are lots and lots of solo cruisers who would gladly jump at those cabins.

For example, on my recent Amsterdam cruise, a 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific itinerary, we had something like 100 solos onboard. The cruise staff even had special activities for us ... something just about every day ... such as cocktail parties, a group dinner at the Pinnacle, breakfast get-together in the dining room, lemonade party, dances up in the Crow's Nest at night, etc. Some of those singles took advantage of the guaranteed share program, while others, like myself, opted for their own cabin. The single supplement, at least in my case, was less than 50%. But, I can't understand why it had to be anything. Why can't there be some single cabins that people can book? Wouldn't cost the cruise line anything if they split up a couple of the larger inside and outside cabins. They would earn the same revenue for the space as they are getting now. And, honestly, even if I had to share a bath with another single cabin, I'd rather do that than share a cabin with a stranger.

I hope the cruise lines read these posts and maybe take such a suggestion under advisement.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't understand either why newer cruise ships don't have single cabins. I travel solo and it wouldn't bother me to have a smaller cabin as I rarely stay in the cabin. Also, I would imagine that cruise lines make more money from solo cruises on things such as ship excursions as most solo travellers buy ship excursions. I also find HAL to be quite reasonable with their single prices, especially if you don't go during high peak seasons. I have wanted to try Princess and Celebrity but every time I found a good itinerary, the solo price was almost double. It's their loss because I spend a lot of money on excursions, drinks, and I tend buy all my gifts for home on the ship.

Dot,

I agree with you. On my recent HAL cruise, I booked over $200 in shore excursions thru the ship, bought a block of internet time, drank a few martinis and pina coladas, played too much bingo, purchased cruise raffle tickets, and bought Christmas gifts in the ship's shops. My total tab for 10 days, including tips on the shipboard account, was $600.

I met couples who spent far less than I did. Because I cruise solo, I book the ship's excursions for safety and security. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of time by myself in the cabin, so I tend to get out and do things to mingle and occupy myself.

Roz

I agree with you. On my recent HAL cruise, I booked over $200 in shore excursions thru the ship, bought a block of internet time, drank a few martinis and pina coladas, played too much bingo, purchased cruise raffle tickets, and bought Christmas gifts in the ship's shops. My total tab for 10 days, including tips on the shipboard account, was $600.

I hate to say it ... but on my Amsterdam 30 day cruise, I purchased $903 worth of Holland America shore excursions. Single folks often feel far more comfortable taking their excursions through the ship's program. In fact, it is often financially to their benefit to do so since most independently-arranged excursions depend on a certain number of people to make them financially preferable over the cost of the ship's excursions.

While I don't play Bingo or drink that much, I too spent far too much money in the ship's stores, not to mention a fortune for film developing in the photo gallery ... yes, I still use film. :)

I think a lot of cruise lines are losing out by not having single cabins ... especially when the cost of filling those cabins doesn't really have to be any higher for the cruise line than booking a double. Just take a few staterooms in the standard classes ... outside and inside ... literally chop them in half ... and offer them as single cabins with a shared bath (with the matching single cabin). The cruise line would get the exact same amount of dollars for the same amount of space, and more single passengers would probably be enticed to cruise if they didn't have to pay a single supplement ... especially a hefty one.

I know that I won't pay large single supplements. I'll stay home first. That's why I generally cruise HAL ... because they have the most attractive single supplements among the mass market lines. I had looked into an NCL cruise ... a really good deal for a five-day sailing leaving right out of my home city ... but when I found out that the really good deal would be almost double for me, I dropped that idea real quick. NCL's loss.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think I have just been fortunate. I was looking for a solo cruise as I normally cruise with my Sister. She has had surgery so is unable to travel. I had a look in the net at cruises with Princess and Celebrity and 2 options were with Princess in the Med 12n or 16n T/A with Celebrity Galaxy. I have booked the Galaxy based on price. I have done T/A previously with Princess and I do enjoy the long sea days. I was able to book a single fare for an addition of just £200 which made it very affordable. I saved £700 by doing the T/A for 16n or rather 17n as I have one night in a hotel in Galvaston plus flights compared to the higher price for 12n. the itinary does not matter to me as I have visited all the Med. Ports on several occasions. The only new port on the T/A is Nassuu.

I have taken 2 cruises previously alone and each time I found a very good deal all be it late in the day. I am not working so am flexible.

Sue

1. Carnival the valor, liberty, conquest and glory have inside

cabins designed for singles (called upper/lowers)

off peak trips are great values (the legend and

spirit do also)

2. RCCL happy hour specials (last minute bookings)

can be located at several locations (but i dont

think I can post them here)

3. Celebrity happy hours specials--but only a few per week

4. NCL search their data base--especially repo cruises

5. This forum ELBOW GREASE and hunting pay off on

individual under-booked sailings

post them here!!!!!!!!!!!!

cruise discounts?

Do Celebrity post their specials on their website or by e-mail (if you sign for their listing?). I wanted to take a cruise on Celebrity, but their rates for solo are very high!! I found that HAL offers better solo rates.

Do Celebrity post their specials on their website or by e-mail (if you sign for their listing?). I wanted to take a cruise on Celebrity, but their rates for solo are very high!! I found that HAL offers better solo rates.

I understand what you are saying but whenever I go to HAL website and try to book a cruise as a single, the rates are much more than Carnival. I have cruised HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa when I was going with my GF, but as a single the rates seem much higher than I am used to with Carnival. I know other cruise lines offer more than Carnival does and some other things that they don't. I have enjoyed all my cruises no matter what line they are on, so not saying any line is better or worse. I do try the off season times to travel but to no avail. Any helpful imput???

HAL cruises cost more than Carnival, regardless of whether you're booked as a double or as a single.

I've gotten better single rates on HAL by booking thru a TA.

Roz

HAL cruises cost more than Carnival, regardless of whether you're booked as a double or as a single.

I've gotten better single rates on HAL by booking thru a TA.

Roz

Thanks Roz, Now I know to check thru a TA for better prices since the web site does not price singles at a good rate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're trying to book a HAL cruise during a peak time (school vacations, holidays, etc.), there may be little, if any, discount on the single supplement. I've gotten my best solo prices on HAL during the first 2 wks. of December.

Roz

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're trying to book a HAL cruise during a peak time (school vacations, holidays, etc.), there may be little, if any, discount on the single supplement. I've gotten my best solo prices on HAL during the first 2 wks. of December.

Roz

That is so true Roz, I got great rates on my upcoming cruises for December and January, with December being the best solo price yet. I also stay away from school vacations and holidays knowing that there will be a premium to pay.

Thanks for your information

Besides the lower rates, that time of year also works for me because there are few children, plus it's a break from the onset of winter. I live in the South and have never understand Southerners who flock to Florida or the Caribbean in the summertime.

If I want to be hot and sweaty, I can just stay at home...no need to pay extra for it! Loved my 2 Alaskan cruises because they were welcome breaks from the heat and humidity.

Roz

I got my best rate on HAL Noordam for Nov 25th. Less than $100/day.

I only wish I could find a good deal to RCCL Explorer to Bermuda on May 28th. If anyone sees anything please let me know.

Thanks!

There are limited sailings that Royal Caribbean offers with reduced supplements... often for seniors or resident specials. They can be tough to find, though they are listed on certain agent web sites. In addition, their weekly "Happy Hour" specials are often at a reduced supplement as well.

BurBunny,

Are the happy hour specials listed on the cruise lines' websites? Are they "last minute" deals. I usually can't take advantage of last minute deals. Have to get advance approval to take off from work, plus airfare becomes a consideration. You can end up paying more for the airfare than the cruise itself.

Roz

Roz, the Happy Hours aren't posted on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean's sites, though they are sent out by email by many agents. Generally not permitted to be posted online by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity policy.

They tend to be more last minute, usually within about 6 weeks of sailing, though occasionally you'll get some several months in advance.

Besides the lower rates, that time of year also works for me because there are few children, plus it's a break from the onset of winter. I live in the South and have never understand Southerners who flock to Florida or the Caribbean in the summertime.

If I want to be hot and sweaty, I can just stay at home...no need to pay extra for it! Loved my 2 Alaskan cruises because they were welcome breaks from the heat and humidity.

Roz

Roz, Did you do cruise only for Alaska or did you do the land portion also ? I was thinking when I do Alaska, the best thing to do would be a cruise-tour package. What cruise line did you do Alaska on and type of cabin did you have ? When I do Alaska, was thinking that a balcony cabin would be the best to do, but then that would probably be 200%, since the balconies always go first.

I know about humidity since it is usually 90 to 100% down here in Florida.

HI Beaches! I have been meaning to reply to you sooner but have not been on computer much the past few days. I am your neighbor.......Coconut Creek!!! I have been on over 30 cruises but only one as a solo. Maybe we can talk and possibly get together and compare notes. You can e-mail me directly at nancbcruisin@aol.com.

Beaches,

On my first cruise to Alaska, I went with friends on HAL's Statendam. My roommate and I had an inside cabin, and we spent very little time there.

My second cruise to Alaska was as a solo on HAL's Maasdam. I booked an inside and was upgraded to an outside on the Lower Prom deck that has a continuous outside teakwood deck. Spent very little time in the cabin.

Have never done a landtour in Alaska. Balconies are very expensive, and if you have a week of bad weather like we did on our first cruise, you can't use it.

On HAL's ships, you can see lots of scenery from the Crow's Nest bar and the Lower Prom.

Roz

• 1 month later...
BurBunny,

Are the happy hour specials listed on the cruise lines' websites? Are they "last minute" deals. I usually can't take advantage of last minute deals. Have to get advance approval to take off from work, plus airfare becomes a consideration. You can end up paying more for the airfare than the cruise itself.

Roz

Roz, this is the link to the Happy Hour specials for RCI (I've seen this posted on the RCI Main Board, so I don't think I'm violating CC policy; but if I'm wrong, Laura, I'm sorry):

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/HappyHour_rci_tues.pdf

It's only available on Tuesdays, as you'll find out if you click on it any other day. I just bookmarked it, as well as the Promowave site, that gives Resident and Senior discounts.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf

I usually travel w/ DH, but will be on the Monarch alone, in August. I thought I'd just have room service for dinner, but reading this forum is making me think that doing dinner in the DR may be fine. Thanks for all your suggestions. ~ Lorna

Archived