My thoughts on Iona March / April 2023

daiB

Our Iona Experience.

We sailed on Iona on cruises G307and G308 returning to the UK on Saturday 8th April. The first cruise was to The Canaries and the second a week to Western Europe.

After all the talk about the disaster which would happen with a ship with 5000+ passengers when embarking I have to say this was our easiest embarkation ever. Arrived at 11.50 for our 12.00 check in time and we were sat in the peninsular lunch by 12.15. Magic! 

The ship impressed from the start, I use a mobility scooter and found this to be the best ship I have been on for accessibility. My wife was convinced there were more accessible toilets than ordinary ones. Loved the door locking and opening should help with control of bugs. Dining was excellent although we only used the MDR’s 4 times over the 3 weeks. The other options were so good. Loved the glass house, Keel and Cow, Sindhu, Chefs Table and The quays. Even with my wife saying before the cruise she did not want to go there in the evening. She loved it.

The entertainment was very good although I did not attend any, again my wife’s experience. She loved the Silent Disco, which was jumping. We did get to see Gary Barlow. He was excellent. We also went to the Limelight Club 4 times. Again excellent, especially Chesney Hawkes.

We enjoyed the ports and found getting off and on again to be a breeze. Where were the queues? Even on the shorter 2nd cruise, which was school holidays there were no queues. The only time I was aware of some problems was one the first day of the second cruise when all the bars in the atrium were busy in the afternoon. I had no problem at all although I do sit up at the bar and by then knew all the staff,

Being school hols. There were reportedly 1000+ children on board. The ones I came across were polite and well behaved. 

All in all we had 2 wonderful cruises and we are so glad we will be back on Iona in October to do it all again.

Some further observations on Iona.

1. Even with 5500 passengers it never felt crowded. Busy, yes but never overpowering.
2. There are more seats on this ship than I have ever seen on any ship. Always somewhere to sit.
3. The three tier atrium had seats on all levels unlike Ventura where the middle level is all shops with no seats.
4. Never saw a “jumble sale”
5. Fantastic views from the atrium with the floor to ceiling windows.
6. The ship felt very stable even coming back through the bay with 6/7 metre swell. I never thought about it but someone else commented that there were no “sick bags” out.
7. My wife found it very easy to navigate around and had the hang of the ship within a few days.
8. The range of eating outlets is fantastic. You need more than 2 weeks to try them all
9. Getting on and off at Southampton made much easier by there now being 2 air bridges.
10. More ports have onshore facilities for security scanning and are well manned which helps re boarding the ship.

Gan Canny

Dai

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Brilliant review Dai and I could visualise a lot of your cruise as we were on Iona Feb/Mar. I was a bit wary of trying a bigger ship but we really enjoyed it. So much so we have booked Iona for the Fjords in July and transatlantic next March on Arvia, flying out to Barbados and sailing back to Southampton. We haven’t abandoned the rest of the fleet, we are on Azura at Christmas and will happily sail on Britannia for the right destinations.

Thanks again your review it was a lovely read and it brought back memories of our recent cruise.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Brilliant review Dai and I could visualise a lot of your cruise as we were on Iona Feb/Mar. I was a bit wary of trying a bigger ship but we really enjoyed it. So much so we have booked Iona for the Fjords in July and transatlantic next March on Arvia, flying out to Barbados and sailing back to Southampton. We haven’t abandoned the rest of the fleet, we are on Azura at Christmas and will happily sail on Britannia for the right destinations.

Thanks again your review it was a lovely read and it brought back memories of our recent cruise.

We did the Transatlantic on Arvia this year. Loved it. We were on for 16 nights. Regretted not doing the 22 night cruise. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We did the Transatlantic on Arvia this year. Loved it. We were on for 16 nights. Regretted not doing the 22 night cruise. 

More is better.  🙂

We shared the first half of your cruise. I agree about the total lack of queues. Every other ship we have travelled on has had much longer waiting to get on or off. 

There is so much to do on board. We ate in nine different venues. Apart from Epicurean they were all very efficient.

I was a bit worried when the Captain mentioned the storm. She doesn't really look the right shape for heavy seas. What a doddle sailed through the swell like a knife through butter, and so quiet.

We will be back. I haven't tried everywhere yet

• Like 4

4 hours ago, daiB said:

Our Iona Experience.

We sailed on Iona on cruises G307and G308 returning to the UK on Saturday 8th April. The first cruise was to The Canaries and the second a week to Western Europe.

After all the talk about the disaster which would happen with a ship with 5000+ passengers when embarking I have to say this was our easiest embarkation ever. Arrived at 11.50 for our 12.00 check in time and we were sat in the peninsular lunch by 12.15. Magic! 

The ship impressed from the start, I use a mobility scooter and found this to be the best ship I have been on for accessibility. My wife was convinced there were more accessible toilets than ordinary ones. Loved the door locking and opening should help with control of bugs. Dining was excellent although we only used the MDR’s 4 times over the 3 weeks. The other options were so good. Loved the glass house, Keel and Cow, Sindhu, Chefs Table and The quays. Even with my wife saying before the cruise she did not want to go there in the evening. She loved it.

The entertainment was very good although I did not attend any, again my wife’s experience. She loved the Silent Disco, which was jumping. We did get to see Gary Barlow. He was excellent. We also went to the Limelight Club 4 times. Again excellent, especially Chesney Hawkes.

We enjoyed the ports and found getting off and on again to be a breeze. Where were the queues? Even on the shorter 2nd cruise, which was school holidays there were no queues. The only time I was aware of some problems was one the first day of the second cruise when all the bars in the atrium were busy in the afternoon. I had no problem at all although I do sit up at the bar and by then knew all the staff,

Being school hols. There were reportedly 1000+ children on board. The ones I came across were polite and well behaved. 

All in all we had 2 wonderful cruises and we are so glad we will be back on Iona in October to do it all again.

1. Even with 5500 passengers it never felt crowded. Busy, yes but never overpowering.
2. There are more seats on this ship than I have ever seen on any ship. Always somewhere to sit.
3. The three tier atrium had seats on all levels unlike Ventura where the middle level is all shops with no seats.
6. The ship felt very stable even coming back through the bay with 6/7 metre swell. I never thought about it but someone else commented that there were no “sick bags” out.
7. My wife found it very easy to navigate around and had the hang of the ship within a few days.
8. The range of eating outlets is fantastic. You need more than 2 weeks to try them all
9. Getting on and off at Southampton made much easier by there now being 2 air bridges.
10. More ports have onshore facilities for security scanning and are well manned which helps re boarding the ship.

Gan Canny

Dai

Jumble sales or "tat" tables that used to be around the atrium on other ships are there on Iona, or they were on G306, but strategically placed on tables in sale area across the width from port to starboard on the level were shops were. 

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Jumble sales or "tat" tables that used to be around the atrium on other ships are there on Iona, or they were on G306, but strategically placed on tables in sale area across the width from port to starboard on the level were shops were. 

I thought this was an excellent idea. You only need to visit if you want to. There is no impact on the rest of the ship 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, happy v said:

I thought this was an excellent idea. You only need to visit if you want to. There is no impact on the rest of the ship 

I agree thought it was very well designed shopping area. Was just replying to daiB who seems to think they are not there and for those that enjoy browsing them which seemed to be popular whenever we passed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happy v said:

Must be good as we did not see them. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio41 said:

Did you get to put your hand luggage in the cabin before the peninsular lunch?

Thank you for the positive review.

No just took it with us, as we always do

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I agree thought it was very well designed shopping area. Was just replying to daiB who seems to think they are not there and for those that enjoy browsing them which seemed to be popular whenever we passed.

I liked the fact that you had to go to the shops as you did not usually pass that way unless going to one of the MDR’s, which we did not do very often. explains why we missed the “Jumble Sale”

5 hours ago, daiB said:

Our Iona Experience.

Gan Canny

Dai

Brilliant

And here's the thing. Not one negative comment really above. Yet I'm sure you could have picked fault in some things.

But why pick fault when P and O have got so many things right with Iona and equally imo Arvia

Looking forward to comparing Iona to Arvia next month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Brilliant

And here's the thing. Not one negative comment really above. Yet I'm sure you could have picked fault in some things.

But why pick fault when P and O have got so many things right with Iona and equally imo Arvia

We had a very quick embarkation on Iona but I am positive that with the questions at the desks and the walk to the ship and then to the peninsular lunch it took more than 15mins....an impossible figure unless an Olympic sprinter.

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It takes 15 minutes to get through security and get undressed and dressed again 🤣

It certainly did take forever via the priority channel, which was at the furthest end of the terminal, and involved a trek both from the main entrance to security, and from the security scanners all the way back to the exit to the gangway, and then same again to the start of the air bridge and then several layers of swichback to the actual entry to the ship. Or at least it did pushing a wheelchair.

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It certainly did take forever via the priority channel, which was at the furthest end of the terminal, and involved a trek both from the main entrance to security, and from the security scanners all the way back to the exit to the gangway, and then same again to the start of the air bridge and then several layers of swichback to the actual entry to the ship. Or at least it did pushing a wheelchair.

My scooter has go faster stripes. From checking in at the top of the lift, very quick as we had dome most on line, we were directed straight to the far end entrance. The one which was used for suites. Straight through and to the nearest air bridge. Then to lunch

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Brilliant

On another popular social media site, on most cruise groups, as soon as any body dares to mention something that didn't go right, or wasn't as good as  anticipated, the accusations of 'moaning' start flying. It's not pleasant sometimes, and if it goes on, we'd end up with sanitised reports where everything is wonderful.  

Some people might like this sanitised approach, but, personally, I enjoy reading balanced reports, giving pros and cons.

We have an advantage on this board, as we have got to know each other. Therefore, I tend to discount reports that I know are going to be always 99.9 % 'positive' and the ones that I know will be ''negative'.  That leaves the ones in the middle, from people who I perceive to give balanced reports, and I take note of their contribution.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

On another popular social media site, on most cruise groups, as soon as any body dares to mention something that didn't go right, or wasn't as good as  anticipated, the accusations of 'moaning' start flying. It's not pleasant sometimes, and if it goes on, we'd end up with sanitised reports where everything is wonderful.  

Some people might like this sanitised approach, but, personally, I enjoy reading balanced reports, giving pros and cons.

We have an advantage on this board, as we have got to know each other. Therefore, I tend to discount reports that I know are going to be always 99.9 % 'positive' and the ones that I know will be ''negative'.  That leaves the ones in the middle, from people who I perceive to give balanced reports, and I take note of their contribution.  

I feel exactly the same way. I take reviews that are 100% positive with the same huge pinch of salt that I do those that are 100% negative. That’s not to say that I don’t believe the persons experiences to be true, but nothing beats a good balanced review. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I feel exactly the same way. I take reviews that are 100% positive with the same huge pinch of salt that I do those that are 100% negative. That’s not to say that I don’t believe the persons experiences to be true, but nothing beats a good balanced review. 

Would you be happier if I added some made up negatives??

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I hope views of my recent cruise on Iona are seen as balanced. Think there are some on here, which every cruise line has, will not ever say a bad word and IMO look through those tinted glasses. My views like everyone are my own opinion and many might disagree. Never felt the ship was crowded or held 5000+, certainly didn't feel like it, always able at anytime of day could find somewhere to sit either indoors or outdoors. Facilities and choices were excellent especially 4 screen cinema an excellent addition. Speciality restaurants Epicurean, Sindhu, Olive Grove and Keel & Cow were first class but not so much Beach House for some reason service was poor and very disappointed with the meal. The Quays was excellent but busy area at lunch with fish and chips  a definite plus but my overall disappointment of cruise was food in MDR. We had no problem getting a table  at any time and no wait of great length using virtual queue system. The food was the let down as no great problem with quality but very repetitive menu, poor choice and poor portions size and made the evening meal nothing special. Would I cruise on Iona again yes if it was right time of year, not during school holidays, and the price was right.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, daiB said:

I very much enjoyed reading your review Dai, and it has reassured me about some of my concerns about our forthcoming August cruise on Iona. In fact, I believe that I was the first to respond with a ‘trophy’ thanking you for it! 

It’s great that you have always found everything about P&O to be perfect. As I say, I don’t take issue with anything that you have said, because that was your experience. It’s just that I personally like reviews that give due credit to all the positives, whilst also acknowledging the areas where improvements can be made, as there are always some. We have enjoyed all our cruises, but none has been 100% perfect in all respects, nor do we expect them to be. I have often found the critical observations of others to be invaluable in helping plan our cruises in order to avoid experiencing the same problems or challenges, and I know from feedback that by doing the same we have also helped others. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I hope views of my recent cruise on Iona are seen as balanced. Think there are some on here, which every cruise line has, will not ever say a bad word and IMO look through those tinted glasses. My views like everyone arey own opinion and many might disagree. Never felt the ship was crowded or held 5000+, certainly didn't feel like it, always able at anytime of day could find somewhere to sit either indoors or outdoors. Facilities and choices were excellent, speciality restaurants Epicurean, Sindhu, Olive Grove and Keel & Cow were first class but not so much Beach House for some reason service was poor and very disappointed with the meal. 4 screen cinema an excellent addition. The Quays was excellent busy area at lunch with fish and chips  a definite plus but my overall disappointment of cruise was food in MDR. We had no problem getting a table  at any time and no wait of great length using virtual queue system. The food was the let down as no great problem with quality but very repetitive menu and poor portions size and made the evening meal nothing special. Would I cruise on Iona again yes if it was right time of year, not during school holidays, and the price was right.

I was extremely interested to read your review majortom10, as I know that you have had similar concerns to me about P&Os direction of travel. I also know that you prefer Cunard, which we are trying for the first time next year. Your positive comments also helped to reassure me about our forthcoming Iona cruise. The areas where you made constructive criticism are entirely consistent with quite a few other reviews that I have now read and, as a result, we have revised our plans for our Iona cruise. We usually use the MDR quite a bit but will probably restrict it to breakfast and the  one formal night (we don’t like the idea of Chefs Table). Lunches and other dinners will now most likely be in the speciality restaurants. One of those was likely to be the Beach House but, again, based on the feedback of yourself and others, we may give that a miss now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Cost of Wi-Fi was my negative on Arvia

Some of the music shows trying to be too clever - but for the right reasons

After that I couldn't criticise. Ive had to manage lots of staff and logistics in my businesses

When you have to do that you understand more some of the difficulties that brings and so you have to admire a well oiled machine at work. And that's what Arvia was.