Stairs on Epic

Looking at the deck plans ...if we were to book a midships cabin would we have to walk to the front or aft for stairs ? ...seems crazy ???

Also on other NCL ships there has been a "promenade" deck where we could walk around the whole ship ...is this missing on the Epic ?

Any favourite B6 cabins with the bed by the balcony ? decks 11 or  12  and are any of these cabins dark because of an "overhang" ?

Thanks for any help .

The Epic, much like the Breakaway (+) class ships only has 2 elevator lobbies / stairwells. More elevators in each but only 2 of them. The walk is not that bad, figure out which one gets you closest to where you want to be and follow the fishes 🙂

The promenade (deck 7) is the life boat deck...you have to go through the interior of the ship to get to the other side on both ends, no way to just go around the whole ship out doors. Nothing like the Waterfront on the Breakaway (+) class ships 😞

Can't comment on the cabins, we were in a standard balcony on deck 10.

Edited by Brian V

We stayed in Epic cabin 12242 (B6 Balcony) back in 2019 and we liked it.  I would probably go with cabin 12241 if I were to do it again as its bed is closer to the balcony.  The large balcony was pretty large, fitting two loungers plus two chairs and a small table.  The balcony is mostly covered by the balconies above, but I wouldn't say that the room is "dark" as a result.

These cabins are just midship from the aft elevators and stairs.  (Only about 4 doors down.) IMO, the aft stairs / elevator were closer to areas of interest on decks 6,7,&15.

Unfortunately, Epic doesn't have the waterfront that they have on the Away(+) class ships.   There is a lot of open deck space, but its all on decks 15, 16, 17,18.

Hope you have a great time!

On 4/14/2023 at 3:27 AM, Ixtoras said:

We stayed in Epic cabin 12242 (B6 Balcony) back in 2019 and we liked it.  I would probably go with cabin 12241 if I were to do it again as its bed is closer to the balcony.  The large balcony was pretty large, fitting two loungers plus two chairs and a small table.  The balcony is mostly covered by the balconies above, but I wouldn't say that the room is "dark" as a result.

These cabins are just midship from the aft elevators and stairs.  (Only about 4 doors down.) IMO, the aft stairs / elevator were closer to areas of interest on decks 6,7,&15.

Unfortunately, Epic doesn't have the waterfront that they have on the Away(+) class ships.   There is a lot of open deck space, but its all on decks 15, 16, 17,18.

Hope you have a great time!

Past Epic cruisers ....is there any advantage of a balcony cabin on deck 12 ...over deck 11 . Other than it being one deck higher ? ...thanks .

21 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Past Epic cruisers ....is there any advantage of a balcony cabin on deck 12 ...over deck 11 . Other than it being one deck higher ? ...thanks .

Have been in balconies on Epic deck 11 and deck 13, both roughly midship. No appreciable difference, really. Never minded the stairs--we were usually going up to buffet or pool deck areas anyway. Hated the lack of a continuous walking path, though...they really made a mistake with that poor ship's design. 🙁 Great cruises, otherwise.

On 4/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, room with a view said:

Looking at the deck plans ...if we were to book a midships cabin would we have to walk to the front or aft for stairs ? ...seems crazy ???

Also on other NCL ships there has been a "promenade" deck where we could walk around the whole ship ...is this missing on the Epic ?

Any favourite B6 cabins with the bed by the balcony ? decks 11 or  12  and are any of these cabins dark because of an "overhang" ?

Thanks for any help .

For efficiency on large ships, there are only stairs and lifts forward and aft. That includes the NCL new builds. It is not unique to the Epic. Royal is the same for their biggest ships. 

10 hours ago, room with a view said:

Nothing really significant.  In our case, we had spa passes and liked that the aft stairs on 12 were only two floors down from the Mandara Spa reception area.

We also had family travelling in the solo cabins and I think they were on 12 as well.  The studio lounge (accessible only to the solo cruisers) is near the forward elevators and has a private stair between decks 11 and 12. 

2 hours ago, room with a view said:

Thanks, everyone .....we are now booked ...on deck 12 !!!

Enjoy the cruise.  It's a unique ship, for sure.  You'll probably either love it or hate it.  Most people seem to fall in one camp or the other. I've sailed on the EPIC twice and have enjoyed myself both times.  I won't say it's my favorite ship.  But, Any negatives about the ship certainly did not impact my vacation in the slightest. As you say in earlier post, it beats staying home.  Have fun!

Edited by MeHeartCruising

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Enjoy the cruise.  It's a unique ship, for sure.  You'll probably either love it or hate it.  Most people seem to fall in one camp or the other. I've sailed on the EPIC twice and have enjoyed myself both times.  I won't say it's my favorite ship.  But, Any negatives about the ship certainly did not impact my vacation in the slightest. As you say in earlier post, it beats staying home.  Have fun!

Thanks, MeHeartCruising.

It was a difficult decision ..after sailing on the Spirit (many times) and the Jade (loved the Jade) and last Christmas /New Year on the Sun.

We were looking to book this Christmas/ New Year in the Canaries .The only NCL ship sailing Europe was the Epic . 

In the UK we have a food product called Marmite ... you either love it or hate it . It's going to be like the Epic.

As I said ...better than being at home !!!

• Like 1