Day in ISP and Hoonah

tlw

We will be docking at 9:00AM in ISP. Our current plan is to get off the ship and walk to Hoonah for an 11:00 lunch at Fisherman's Daughter, walk around town to look for the totem pole carver, and return to ISP for a 2:15pm whale watching tour. Is this doable? Do we have enough time for the hike to Hoonah and return by 2:00?

The town is about a mile away, but I believe you can pay for a ride on their shuttle.  The shops at the Cannery are fun to walk thru, and there are some cool things to buy.  I think you will have more than enough time, especially if you plan to be back early at the dock for your whale watching excursion.  

I have done the whale watching trip from ISP, and it was amazing!

I wouldn't count on Fisherman's Daughter serving lunch that early, I know when we went around 11 they were still serving breakfast and told us to come back in 30 min......I think their menu said lunch is served 30 min after they told us, so I think it said 12 and they started at 11:30....

we did that and were able to get back to the port for a 1pm (or 1:15 maybe?) tribal dance presentation.....we didn't dawdle anywhere though....

• 3 weeks later...

There's some great food at the Icy Strait Point cruise port. I was going to go to town for dinner and the people selling the tickets for the shuttle actually recommended staying at the port and having the halibut pizza. I did and it was great. If you go to the tribal dance don't be late. They won't let you in after they start. There's also a free cannery museum at the port.

I'm going back this year and I won't leave the port. There's a bald eagle that hangs out where the ship docks. There's a whale that hangs out near one of the bars. I did Whale watching last year. It was convenient because it leaves from the ship pier. This year I think I'll get the tram ticket up to the top of the mountain. And I'll be on time for the tribal dance!

• Like 2

If you're on a private whale watching trip (Glacier Wind, etc), you might be able to stay in Hoonah and just head to the Hoonah fishing port at the appointed time.  If it's a ship excursion, you probably do leave from ISP.