Flight Guidance on RSSC Cruise Bangkok to Bali - Nov 23 to Dec 8th

TheShag

Newbie here.

My wife and I are taking the above cruise departing and returning CYYZ. Regent offers J class for this cruise. Not sure what to expect as I am sure that they want to do it as cheaply as possible. As we are prepared to pay the deviation fee, the air will open for 'negotiation' on Apr 25 so I want to get my ducks in line and tried to decipher the 'matrix' website.

Would like to arrive In Bangkok in the morning of the 24 to enjoy the pre-cruise stay before boarding on the 25th. Similarly, looking forward to enjoying post cruise in Bali with check out in the afternoon of the 8th. Given the new 'back and forth' charge of $75/pp, others have suggested going in with the 'best 3' itineraries. I am at a loss as to what is reasonable as far as layovers, # of stops, departure/arrival times. We are sure experienced RSSC cruisers could hopefully help me out how best to present some schedules that are reasonable for both 'sides'!

Sincere thanks to all for suggestions!

"What is reasonable" is whatever YOU think is reasonable.  Look at the options on a variety of airlines.  As Regent says, look for a discounted price i.e. non-refundable as well as refundable.  That is more likely to have contract seats available.  But pick AT LEAST your 3 best options and present them.  They will either offer one with no upcharge, offer one with an upcharge, or not offer any of them but come back with a different option.  So the more you research your flights the better.  

Then if they offer one with an upcharge you can decide if it's worth it or not.  We are going to Athens in Oct.  I requested the non stop and it was offered for an upcharge.  One with a stop at JFK was the same upcharge.  I decided it was worth the cost.  As for our requested flight home from Rome, we were given that flight with NO upcharge so they had contract rates.  

On another cruise (we ended up cancelling for other reasons) we requested Delta from ATL-LAX-SYD then Delta non stop home from Tokyo.  They would give us the non stop home, but nothing to Sydney on Delta even with an upcharge.  They offered  first an unacceptable routing, then a complicated routing (ATL-Doha on Qatar then Doha- SYD).  That would have been 28 hours airborne but probably our best option.  So you never know.  Just give them as many options as they will take.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I would never travel as far as you are just one day before a cruise. At a minimum, I would arrive in Bangkok three nights before boarding. I would plan to do nothing the first day. Anything you wind up doing is gravy. Then I would engage a private guide to see a magnificent city at your pace. There are many places to visit both in and outside of Bangkok. Ayutthaya is one example as is the summer palace. Suggest you not underestimate the effects of jet lag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TheShag, I recommend you visit the Cruise Critic Cruise Air forum. The people there are experts in flight information. If you post the dates you want to arrive and depart, the City of departure at both ends of the cruise and if you have any airline preferences, they generally give you very detailed information. Make sure to mention that you want flights where non-refundable or lowest Business class fares are available.  I have found them to be very helpful and if you provide them with all the pertinent details you will be surprised how much info you get. 

Though most of them are very helpful they can have a bite with their responses so read them with a thick skin. It may not happen if you give all the important info upfront. Some tend to get frustrated with people who ask for help but don't give them enough to work with. 

Once you have the information to approach Regent make sure you have your airline loyalty #'s, if applicable and what seat assignments you want.  Some airlines let you control your seat selection as soon as you agree to the deviation and others don't. You don't want to potentially pay $75pp to pick your seats if you find out the airline won't let you do it online and then have to contact Regent. AC is notorious for this.  My experience with Regent is we never get assigned our seats of choice automatically. 

As far as what is reasonable, only you can answer that. Are you willing to accept mutiple stopovers or do you want the most direct route and willing to pay for it.   We have never paid an upcharge and if we don't get what we originally request then we have found something that works for us. 

I have never flown that routing so can't be helpful with your specific request but think a visit to CC Cruise Air forum maybe invaluable. Good luck. 

• Like 1

theShag. I see you already posted on CC Cruise Air.  Though the responses have been not as detailed as i have seen in the past you may yet get some detailed answers. RSSC doesn't necessarily book the cheapest itinerary, they do book the routing on airlines they have contracts with have availability at the lowest BC fare. 

• Like 1

look at google flights to give you an idea.  what month are you going.  EVA has a one stop each way in TPE for 4900 might be cheaper than air credit.  EVA is on Air Canada program i believe.  the may not fly every day but if you have time stay in Bali and extra day if needed as hotels are relatively cheap as are tours.  I wouldn't even worry about the transfer as it is cheap to airport.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 10:09 PM, TheShag said:

Newbie here.

My wife and I are taking the above cruise departing and returning CYYZ. Regent offers J class for this cruise. Not sure what to expect as I am sure that they want to do it as cheaply as possible. As we are prepared to pay the deviation fee, the air will open for 'negotiation' on Apr 25 so I want to get my ducks in line and tried to decipher the 'matrix' website.

Would like to arrive In Bangkok in the morning of the 24 to enjoy the pre-cruise stay before boarding on the 25th. Similarly, looking forward to enjoying post cruise in Bali with check out in the afternoon of the 8th. Given the new 'back and forth' charge of $75/pp, others have suggested going in with the 'best 3' itineraries. I am at a loss as to what is reasonable as far as layovers, # of stops, departure/arrival times. We are sure experienced RSSC cruisers could hopefully help me out how best to present some schedules that are reasonable for both 'sides'!

Sincere thanks to all for suggestions!

Make it easy on yourself. You, or your TA, goes to a flight website and selects departing airport and your arrival airport. Then sort by least number of flights. Then pick your airline. Pick 2 more choices you can live with. Submit to Air Desk.

• Thanks 1

Don’t go to “any” flight website. Many are limited as to info and also missing airlines you want to search for 

Best is matrix.its matrix.com. This is a consumer version of the software many airlines and TAs use so it has all the choices and airlines you need. Only missing discount carriers which cruise travelers rarely use and gives you the options you actually need for your search. 

Simply using least number of stops may cause you not get initial approval because if regent doesn’t have a contract the most direct flight may include a significant upcharge   Happy searching and travel. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Don’t go to “any” flight website. Many are limited as to info and also missing airlines you want to search for 

Best is matrix.its matrix.com. This is a consumer version of the software many airlines and TAs use so it has all the choices and airlines you need. Only missing discount carriers which cruise travelers rarely use and gives you the options you actually need for your search. 

Simply using least number of stops may cause you not get initial approval because if regent doesn’t have a contract the most direct flight may include a significant upcharge   Happy searching and travel. 

I've booked over $4 million through Regent recently using my method...it works fine. I always get the flights I want and very rarely do I ever get an upcharge. The reason you ask for pricing on multiple options is to avoid the high-cost ones. You always want a direct flight if possible....it is easier on the body. Like I said, find multiple options that you would accept and submit them all. Nothing worse than taking 3 flights instead of a single flight (even with a small upcharge). You are spending, on average, $2000 a day for your cabin....a few bucks to get ideal flights is the best money you will spend on the entire vacation.

• Thanks 2