Late August vs Early/Mid September?

BeachTunes

Hello! 

We have narrowed down two cruise departure dates for a 7-night sailing from Seward to Vancouver and can't decide which one to choose! If anyone has insights on which one is more ideal, it would be appreciated! 🙂

1. August 25-September 1 (Seward to Vancouver)

2. September 8-15 (Seward to Vancouver)

I'm leaning toward option #2 because our preferred hotel in Anchorage is available pre-cruise (Historic Anchorage Hotel) and also because the Goldstar service on the train to the ship is available. Do those things even matter? I feel like the September date would mean less crowds but I wonder if the August departure date might give us potentially better weather? 

As I always say, these decisions are good problems to have to solve! 

Thanks to all for your input! 

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned here frequently, the later you get into the season, the greater chance of weather issues, and some things will be shutting down.

Thank you! That makes sense. I need to do more research on this forum! 🙂

Basing the entire choice of cruise on weather data over a three-week window is a bit foolish.  It can pour rain in August and/or it can pour rain in September.  Mid-September can be beautiful.  August can also be beautiful.  I would actually go with September.  Advantages of September are great end-of-season sales, fewer crowds after Labor Day, and an increased chance of seeing northern lights.  I'll be there the last week of September btw.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Basing the entire choice of cruise on weather data over a three-week window is a bit foolish.  It can pour rain in August and/or it can pour rain in September.  Mid-September can be beautiful.  August can also be beautiful.  I would actually go with September.  Advantages of September are great end-of-season sales, fewer crowds after Labor Day, and an increased chance of seeing northern lights.  I'll be there the last week of September btw.

Thank you very much for your input. 😊

Of course, a three-week weather window isn't the only deciding factor for this journey's date. There are many other things to consider. Given this is a bucket list trip I thought I'd put the weather question out there.

Being a Canadian, I know weather predictions are rarely reliable. A prime example is that it was 86F in Toronto today while April averages are usually 50F! So indeed I AM a fool for asking a weather question. LOL!

The above said, the September sailing is looking better all the time...  You had me at "fewer crowds" and "Northern Lights"! 

I will be blessed to sail on either itinerary!

Edited by BeachTunes

12 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Thank you very much for your input. 😊

Of course, a three-week weather window isn't the only deciding factor for this journey's date. There are many other things to consider. Given this is a bucket list trip I thought I'd put the weather question out there.

Being a Canadian, I know weather predictions are rarely reliable. A prime example is that it was 86F in Toronto today while April averages are usually 50F! So indeed I AM a fool for asking a weather question. LOL!

The above said, the September sailing is looking better all the time...  You had me at "fewer crowds" and "Northern Lights"! 

I will be blessed to sail on either itinerary!

Did I mention that we have some nice fall colors in September in SE Alaska?  I hope you will have an amazing journey whenever you decide to come.  One of my favorite September pix.

image.thumb.jpeg.c138bf550118e5cd9611846278ed917a.jpeg

• Like 1