Bear spray?

RUSTYANDCARRIE

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Do not even consider trying to board an aircraft or ship with bear spray!

But I just wanted to comment that visitors to our state over estimate the chances of bear attacks while they also minimize the danger and chance of moose attacks.

where I live, we have moose in the neighborhood.  Yes, they are cute and they do look dumb.  But, do NOT underestimate them!  They can move FAST.   We have a neighborhood moose watch - will let people know where our moose are hanging out.  We'll let new people know how to behave with our moose.  

Every year, there are reports of people getting hurt/killed by moose and buffalo up in the National Parks because they got too close and disturbed them.  

Photo of one of our neighborhood moose relaxing in the front yard.

IMG_0923.JPG

• Like 2

Make noise on any trails; just talk.  Spend a few minutes learning what to do if you encounter a bear.  If the bear spray makes you feel better then buy it but you can't bring it with you in your luggage.  If you do buy it; please, know how to use it.  Otherwise, like most people, it's just a false sense of security.  I've hiked all over this state for decades and only encountered one bear than bolted when it caught our scent.  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:40 AM, slidergirl said:

where I live, we have moose in the neighborhood.  Yes, they are cute and they do look dumb.  But, do NOT underestimate them!  They can move FAST.   We have a neighborhood moose watch - will let people know where our moose are hanging out.  We'll let new people know how to behave with our moose.  

Every year, there are reports of people getting hurt/killed by moose and buffalo up in the National Parks because they got too close and disturbed them.  

Photo of one of our neighborhood moose relaxing in the front yard.

IMG_0923.JPG

I was researching a hotel in Anchorage last year and one of the pictures on the website was of a moose outside the guest rooms....I was like "there is NO WAY that picture makes me want to stay there, that scares me!" As I would prefer not to be confronted outside the exit to my hotel room with a moose that wouldn't move haha

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

I was researching a hotel in Anchorage last year and one of the pictures on the website was of a moose outside the guest rooms....I was like "there is NO WAY that picture makes me want to stay there, that scares me!" As I would prefer not to be confronted outside the exit to my hotel room with a moose that wouldn't move haha

In the 20 years that our neighborhood has been around, there has been no accidents between people, pets and the local wildlife.  We've learned to peacefully coexist!

Back to the bear spray -  Quite a few of us use "Bear Bells" when we hike.  it's just a bell that attaches to your pole, pack, or belt.  It makes a consistent noise when you walk.  I have a few friends who actually carry a gun - not for me!

I wonder if my She Birdie personal alarm would work - it puts out one nasty hi pitch noise and has a bright flasher...  I do NOT want to find out, though. 

• Like 1