Leaving in 2 weeks. I have pneumonia.

spleenstomper

On 4/17/2023 at 10:18 AM, spleenstomper said:

Dang it, I overshared lol. It’s too late to edit. I’m sure you all don’t want to hear about gut biome 🤪

Hey, I'm a retired cancer researcher.  I love to hear about the gut biome! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things went really sideways with my gut today but luckily all of the rapid tests came back negative tonight, so that is a hurdle cleared. I’m off antibiotics and prednisone now. Pushing/sipping fluids and electrolytes and probiotics. 

I just emailed DH the trip insurance document so he can read through all 61 pages in case we cancel. I cancelled my hair appointment tomorrow and pushed it to Tuesday just in case. 

This is a mess; I am a mess.

Dh doesn’t want to go now if I don’t go. Things are very much up in the air including wondering if I can board in Quebec City, which would give me more days as a buffer…

going to bed…..

if you are reading this and don’t have trip insurance, go buy it now 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

spleenstomper - I am hoping that everything works out for you and you can board in Quebec City. Last August my stepfather and I were on the Niew Statendam and we had a great time. Before the trip, I ordered electrolyte powder packets from Amazon. 

We took them on the cruise. You mix packet with water. It was convenient. I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you are sick and hope you feel better soon. Luckily you are young so you've got that going for you. I'm sure you and your doctors will make the right decision when the time comes.

As an aside, my mom caught pneumonia on our Koningsdam cruise to Mexico last December and she spent a night in the clinic onboard (which cost $6400 USD in case anyone is wondering!! Charged directly to my credit card which they had on file.) And then when we docked on San Diego we were met by firefighters and an ambulance and she was taken to Sharp Coronado Hospital where she received excellent care for the next 19 days. The bill was $300,000. We are Canadian. It was hell. But she is alive and it's all behind us now.  We are very grateful for the care she received in San Diego. Absolute angels. People were so kind everywhere I went. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BeachBum47 said:

I'm so sorry you are sick and hope you feel better soon. Luckily you are young so you've got that going for you. I'm sure you and your doctors will make the right decision when the time comes.

As an aside, my mom caught pneumonia on our Koningsdam cruise to Mexico last December and she spent a night in the clinic onboard (which cost $6400 USD in case anyone is wondering!! Charged directly to my credit card which they had on file.) And then when we docked on San Diego we were met by firefighters and an ambulance and she was taken to Sharp Coronado Hospital where she received excellent care for the next 19 days. The bill was $300,000. We are Canadian. It was hell. But she is alive and it's all behind us now.  We are very grateful for the care she received in San Diego. Absolute angels. People were so kind everywhere I went. 

Did you have travel insurance?

Thanks, everyone. I’m not getting any worse. So that is good. I’m trying to sleep and rest so I can recover. We haven’t cancelled yet but it’s not looking good. I think by Sunday we will know how it’s going to go. 

I’m still having occasional pain from the gut issues, but I find an (legal) edible helps with that. I’m also sore again from the coughing. Going back to bed….

I think if we have to cancel, I might look into renting a beach house somewhere. But IDK.

Edited by spleenstomper

27 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I think if we have to cancel, I might look into renting a beach house somewhere. But IDK.

I've been following  this thread and am so sorry you are ill. However, I think your idea of renting a beach house somewhere is a good one.  Keeps you isolated from others and still gives your husband the break he needs.  I hope you recover quickly.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I've been following  this thread and am so sorry you are ill. However, I think your idea of renting a beach house somewhere is a good one.  Keeps you isolated from others and still gives your husband the break he needs.  I hope you recover quickly.

I agree that this is a good solution. If your husband needs a break--and it sure sounds like he does--cruising with you in questionable health may not be the break he needs. Staying on land in a quiet place will give both of you peace of mind. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

Pick one of our port stops and we can wave at one another.

• Like 1

Ok, as of right now I’m going. We don’t board until Saturday but we do fly out mid morning Thursday. So I’m starting to pack and all of that but we really have until Wednesday to change course. 

The pneumonia is gone— I’m still clearing debris in the morning— that is to be expected. I’m tired and I nap. Obviously I’m going to mask in the airports and on the plane. We have a 2 hour layover in ATL, so once I’m in that plane, I’ll be happy.

DH can run around Montréal and I can stay and nap in the hotel etc. my expectations for my part of the trip are low. I’m just going to play it by ear and spend a lot of time on our balcony.

I’m not on the ship until I’m on the ship though…. We can pull it up to the limits of the insurance policy (I have seen cancel for any reason on some policies needs to happen 3 days before the cruise, so I do need to double check at what point I need to cancel if we do). 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 7

Glad to hear you are going. My husband traveled and cruised all through his cancer treatments and as close as 4 months before he died. We were cautious, he rested when needed and he never got sick on a trip. He got sick in other places so go figure. The beauty of the cruise is you can do as much or as little as you want and your partner go and do things without you. Life is full of curve balls and we need to go with the flow. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Glad to hear you are going. My husband traveled and cruised all through his cancer treatments and as close as 4 months before he died. We were cautious, he rested when needed and he never got sick on a trip. He got sick in other places so go figure. The beauty of the cruise is you can do as much or as little as you want and your partner go and do things without you. Life is full of curve balls and we need to go with the flow. 

My husband is a cancer survivor (dx our late 20s when we had a 6 month old), so we have sort of BTDT (but poor residents lol). I’m sorry your husband died. 

I feel like I can do this and by 7 more days I’ll surely be feeling a lot better. It was just bad timing in the run up to the cruise. 

Thanks, everyone, for your support. It’s Canada and New England so that is also a large reason why we are going to do it. Not far from home and good health care in case and once we are back in the US, DH can prescribe me anything I might need. 

Also though, if I have a sudden down turn before Wednesday or Thursday, we will cancel. We have options. 

ETA: each flight leg is short too so I think it’s very doable 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Thanks, everyone, for your support. It’s Canada and New England so that is also a large reason why we are going to do it. Not far from home and good health care in case and once we are back in the US

Yes and if by chance anyone gets seriously sick on your cruise or any of the other cruises that sail this Boston-Montreal-Boston route you can rest assured that some of the best medical care around is available on either end point.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I sure will. Thus is a dream cruise! 

Hi, spleenstomper,

I have been reading this post with great interest. I am not a doctor but the comments about a weakened immune system due to pneumonia would concern me a lot. My wife and I are relatively healthy (octogenarians both) and mask up whenever we go out except while eating. No Covid yet and we do test. Good luck with whatever decision you make. There is always another cruise.

Jim

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

Be prepared for some very cool weather.

I have a pair of boots getting delivered today to my Nola house. Yeah, it’s going to be a lot cooler than we expected but ok. 

@jeh10641 thank you for your point of view and concern: I’m paying attention. There is some risk to me going, yes. Probably if I was 63 I would err on the side of caution. I still have to make it through a few more days before I get on the plane…. Things could still change. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I have a pair of boots getting delivered today to my Nola house. Yeah, it’s going to be a lot cooler than we expected but ok. 

@jeh10641 thank you for your point of view and concern: I’m paying attention. There is some risk to me going, yes. Probably if I was 63 I would err on the side of caution. I still have to make it through a few more days before I get on the plane…. Things could still change. 

Fingers crossed for you and your husband. Happy cruising.

• Like 1