what to do in Cape Liberty if not flying until 6pm

cruisingsfun

We are ending a transatlantic cruise early in the morning, but our flight does not leave until 6pm. There is a ship tour with airport drop off, but it is just a 4 hour tour. We are flying from EWR so would like to find something a bit longer. Thanks for any advice or ideas. Cruisingsfun

44 minutes ago, cruisingsfun said:

We are ending a transatlantic cruise early in the morning, but our flight does not leave until 6pm. 

There is nothing to do at the cruise terminal & you will not be allowed to stay indoors. Assuming storing luggage will be an issue, you can rent a car from the one rental agency in Bayonne, using the trunk as storage. Driving to Jersey City for the official Statue of Liberty ferry is an option as is the Liberty Science Center both in Liberty State Park. You could use public transit into New York City via PATH, leaving the rental at the 34th Street light rail station in Bayonne.

The only other use of a rental I can think of would be to drive to East Rutherford, NJ where the football stadium is to spend the day at American Dream mall, though the mall's attractions are aimed at young people.

You could use car service to a hotel in Jersey City leaving bags at a hotel then spend the day in Jersey City along the waterfront with spectacular views of lower Manhattan or use PATH into NYC.

Options are limited, someone should open a luggage storage facility near the port.

Edited by meadowlander

I assume you are disembarking at Port Liberty,

This is a problem. Meadowlander has just about every idea that is possible, but they would be expensive and although something to do, not really worth it.

The port in NJ is totally isolated from any walkable places. And except for NYC which needs a bit of thought out public transportation choices there is nothing of interest around it.

If I were you, I would either take the ship excursion and accept the time waiting at the airport, or find a later flight!

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

What day will you be in Bayonne? There's a mall near the airport you might be able to hang out at for a bit. However, it will be closed on Sundays.

The mall nearest the airport, The Mills at Jersey Gardens, is open on Sundays.

18 hours ago, cruisingsfun said:

Thank you both for all your well thought out responses. I think we will opt to take the ships excursion and just have extra time at the airport. Sounds like anything else would be too much of an effort.

Good choice! Anything else would require unnecessary  effort and money not well spent.
Bring a book, and relax at  the airport. At least the excursion might be interesting.

• Like 1