Celebrity Apex - StarLink speed

Jim_Iain

Decided I would post speeds on our Caribbean a TransAtlantic Cruises.  All tests are using the Premium WiFi. 

First up I will post T-Mobile speed using 5G

IMG_1950.thumb.jpeg.e88938119b9fa9548e490c8b912e6408.jpeg

4/15/2923.   5:00 PM.   Departing Port. Everglades. 

IMG_1971.thumb.jpeg.7426a095ea05afa13f43de6508fc0ce1.jpeg

I’m running Express VPN on a mini router for my Roku and really slows things down. 

IMG_1972.thumb.jpeg.559d98c1700f09f2f18d49f174956e48.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let us know what it looks like if you are more than about 250 miles from land so no direct Starlink access.  Can you get a speed test on the internet speed for both services?  The difference will be interesting.

My new Samsung had similar speeds about 30 miles offshore in Cabo.  Gotta love TMobile for travel.

22 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Let us know what it looks like if you are more than about 250 miles from land so no direct Starlink access.  Can you get a speed test on the internet speed for both services?  The difference will be interesting.

My new Samsung had similar speeds about 30 miles offshore in Cabo.  Gotta love TMobile for travel.

We are at sea all day tomorrow on way to Belize. 

it should be a good test day. 

While it doesn’t look that fast I am able to stream YouTube TV without any buffering. 

I have a Zoom call later so will be a fun test. 

I knew you said you would be posting the speeds but I kept looking for them in your live review.  Glad I found this. 

Wondering which way, separate thread or combined with live review, is preferable as I was planning to do something similar for on our upcoming cruise, Panama Canal East to West.

22 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I knew you said you would be posting the speeds but I kept looking for them in your live review.  Glad I found this. 

Wondering which way, separate thread or combined with live review, is preferable as I was planning to do something similar for on our upcoming cruise, Panama Canal East to West.

I thought I would do a separate so it isn't all mixed together in post.   That way people only interested in Internet speed can have a single source.   Fell free to post you speeds here also. 

When I was on Solstice in December  right after they fired it up I was getting some incredible good speeds.  

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I thought I would do a separate so it isn't all mixed together in post.   That way people only interested in Internet speed can have a single source.   Fell free to post you speeds here also. 

Thank you.  

As you may recall we will be on Millie going the East to West Panama Canal transit starting this Friday.   I will try and remember to do at least one test daily, when we are at sea. 

13 hours ago, bnurick said:

Great information. Will post the Silhouette speeds on the transatlantic later this week.  Thanks!

Great.  Could be an interesting resource

Belize 4:30 am. So probably not many on the internet. 

Speeds are pretty much the same. 

IMG_2164.png

4 hours ago, haynesra said:

Looks like they are capping speed at 5 Mbps given likely hardly anyone online at 4:30. Considering I never got above 1 Mbps on Solstice pre-starlink, not bad overall. 

I agree has to be capped. This was on Solstice the day the went live in December

I was optimistic we would see the same speed

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.de3b5b38043fff28968087164498171f.jpeg

Cancun, Mx

speeds in port are slower but lots if ships side by side.  Possibly blocking signal. 

Even with this speed am easily able to send pictures.    Downloading of files, even a small Apple app can take five minute. 

IMG_2299.thumb.png.03f1fefc92402231f09ded3dd531523a.png

5:39 out of Cozumel 

Pretty sure it’s not users - the details often help understand slow internet

Specifically 26% packet loss is terrible.

latency 72-240 not good

Jitter is wide also really wide

IMG_2368.thumb.png.e900b912d10fcf9219d427bb3cd007b6.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

4/20/2023

Grand Cayman

We are tendered in Grand Cayman today.  There is no ship WiFi connection at all.   Possibly a country requirement. 

Can’t even get the Celebrity Logo screen

IMG_2418.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

4/20/2023

Grand Cayman

We are tendered in Grand Cayman today.  There is no ship WiFi connection at all.   Possibly a country requirement. 

Can’t even get the Celebrity Logo screen

But are the bars all open onboard, lol!