Saving Money on Cruise Insurance

mcrcruiser

As we all age(we are 83 & 84) insurance premiums keep rising. I don't want to pay 10 to 11 % of my cruise  price  especially when the price is $6500  for the cruise .By doing  my own research & phoning Squaremouth.com .We find we can get excellent levels of medical & medical evacuation & luggage coverage for $185 in stead of over $600  .We will self insure the cruise itself 

Hopefully this helps all older cruisers. For just medical  evacuation I seen a price as low as $99  for MedJetAssist

Edited by mcrcruiser

We carry an annual policy that provides coverage for all trips over 150 miles from home.  For anything beyond the limits of the policy we self insure.  We've saved a lot of money over the years by not taking the cruise line insurance and have been covered  while traveling on land in the US and worldwide.

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

As we all age(we are 83 & 84) insurance premiums keep rising. I don't want to pay 10 to 11 % of my cruise  price  especially when the price is $6500  for the cruise .By doing  my own research & phoning Squaremouth.com .We find we can get excellent levels of medical & medical evacuation & luggage coverage for $185 in stead of over $600  .We will self insure the cruise itself 

Hopefully this helps all older cruisers. For just medical  evacuation I seen a price as low as $99  for MedJetAssist

Thanks for those tips. I pay for an AmEx platinum card, which gives a good amount of both cancellation and medical insurance. For $64 a trip I take out an additional large amount of coverage. For me, it's worth the price of the card, since it pays for some other stuff, also. And yet, I get irritated about some stuff they do that's not up to previous service. 

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

we do this exact same thing.  We put the cost of the trip as zero and it cut our premiums to less than half….

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

By doing  my own research & phoning Squaremouth.com…

I had never used Squaremouth until I started looking for an insurance policy with CFAR for a special cruise that I have planned for 2024. 

I had always used Insure My Trip but the premiums were insanely high for this trip. So I started googling policies and I came across Squaremouth.

The policy that I found through them was literally 1/3 the price compared to the cheapest policy through Insure My Trip. I double and triple checked the fine print to ensure that everything that I wanted covered is indeed covered. 

Interestingly, from what I've read from people, old people and people traveling with other old people are supposed to be getting more value out of travel insurance as they are more likely to die or have medical issues that prevent them from traveling.

Getting medical is a good thing though.  I've stated many times people should get that because the costs are high.  Anything else (air, hotel, cruise) costs are limited to the non-refundable portions of those.

Several people here don't agree with that philosophy. 

As long as you read the limitations on the policy - some travel insurance companies require, in the policy, that you insure ALL non-refundable trip costs - in that case, how would you explain a $500.00 trip cost that spans a month, 60 days, 70+ days...?

What the total is is another thing, dependent on the cruiseline - cruise costs are refundable to a certain date and are non-refundable by a certain percentage at varying intervals...and most insurance wants you to insure immediately - so what is your actual, nonrefundable cost at that time? 

Are you then required by the policy 'gotcha' to increase the coverage cost as you make additional payments - or do you insure the entire cost immediately?   

Edited by ljones
add