Bringing MacBook Pro on Cruise

sarleo

You have probably gotten the gist that most who have brought laptops, iPads and other electronics onboard have felt reasonably safe leaving them in their staterooms without being in the safes.  I agree and have more recently had no or much less concerns - so much that I often have left the devices charging and on the desk while out of the stateroom.

I actually am much less trusting in the various hotels we use pre and post cruise and would try to use such safes or keep the devices hidden in our luggage.

But if you prefer some security - there are the cable locks for laptops which can be attached to immovable parts of your stateroom.  I used to carry those as well in the earlier days.  Not much need for them now onboard.

Edited by bmblob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

It may or may not fit, but with 5 days, assuming you have Apple Care and an Apple Store nearby, it’s about an hour and a half to replace an iPad. Unless he isn’t backing it up to the Apple Cloud…

And I also don’t worry about electronics out in the cabin. 

It may or may not fit, but with 5 days, assuming you have Apple Care and an Apple Store nearby, it’s about an hour and a half to replace an iPad. Unless he isn’t backing it up to the Apple Cloud…

My husband called Apple and they told him to bring it to Best Buy. They looked at it and had it working in a few minutes. They said it was a common problem. He’s so happy, as am I. I get to have my iPad all to myself. 

• Like 2

My husband called Apple and they told him to bring it to Best Buy. They looked at it and had it working in a few minutes. They said it was a common problem. He’s so happy, as am I. I get to have my iPad all to myself. 

• Like 1

Just now, sarleo said:

I am so glad to hear that it worked out!  However after all you put us through, you are now required to bring your MacBook Pro.  Have a nice cruise.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sarleo said:

That’s great news! Most iPad problems are reasonably straightforward. 

On 4/16/2023 at 11:30 AM, sarleo said:

My husband and I are leaving on a transatlantic on 4/22 and his new iPad just died. This is big deal. There is nothing he can do at this point, but have him use mine, use his phone or bring his MacBook Pro on board. The best idea for the both of us is to bring his laptop, but I am concerned that it doesn’t fit in the safe. Do I remember that right? And if not does anyone bring their laptop anyway?

Thanks,  Sarah

I have to work so always bring my laptop Mac Pro never had a problem I just put it on the bottom self of the stand by the bed away from the door.  I have done this for about the last 8 cruises. No problems.

On 4/17/2023 at 4:44 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I hear so many talk about putting a iPad or Computer in a safe.    I've been on many many cruises and have never had a problem.  We leave them out in our room and nothing has ever been touched.   Never thought twice about having a problem.

I can tell you -  most crew value your their job more than a $1,000 tablet. 

$1000 retail for a new device. Imagining a cruise staff stealing such an item from a cabin is akin to me working at a car dealership, stealing one of the cars and driving it to work the next day. It's an absurd assumption.

13 hours ago, sarleo said:

Glad that it worked out!

3 hours ago, Longboysfan said:

Question is - Why bring work tools to vacation in the first place.

Unless unlimited WiFi package - your send and receive rates are not good.

They don't recommend you use a big app with streaming content.

OP didn't say they were going to use it for work but some people have to do some work on vacation. That is reality. Others use laptops for hobbies or whatever. Really does not matter why and the cruise lines do sell wifi streaming packages which people use for streaming with different degrees os success. So your question is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longboysfan said:

Question is - Why bring work tools to vacation in the first place.

Unless unlimited WiFi package - your send and receive rates are not good.

They don't recommend you use a big app with streaming content.

Who said anything about work tools? And even if I were working on my computer onboard (been there, done that) who says I would need to be in contact with anybody else via WiFi, Internet, whatever? I take my laptop because it is my one and only computer. At home, it is plugged into an external monitor and bridge with multiple drives, etc. When traveling, with one external SSD drive, I can download, post-process, share and store my photos and when back home, no duplication or steps to fuss with. I also maintain/update my financial files and correspondence on my computer. And my files on lodging/transportation/excursions/cruise/railway information for past, present and future travel. 

In short, computers are useful for and used for other than work.

Stan

• Like 1