Bringing MacBook Pro on Cruise

sarleo

My husband and I are leaving on a transatlantic on 4/22 and his new iPad just died. This is big deal. There is nothing he can do at this point, but have him use mine, use his phone or bring his MacBook Pro on board. The best idea for the both of us is to bring his laptop, but I am concerned that it doesn’t fit in the safe. Do I remember that right? And if not does anyone bring their laptop anyway?

Thanks,  Sarah

Just now, sarleo said:

My husband and I are leaving on a transatlantic on 4/22 and his new iPad just died. This is big deal. There is nothing he can do at this point, but have him use mine, use his phone or bring his MacBook Pro on board. The best idea for the both of us is to bring his laptop, but I am concerned that it doesn’t fit in the safe. Do I remember that right? And if not does anyone bring their laptop anyway?

Thanks,  Sarah

Without knowing which ship and cabin you are on it is hard to say whether or not a laptop will fit in the safe.  I would error on the side that it will not fit.  That being said, I have never put my laptop, iPad, Android table, and or iPhone in the safe and they go with me on every cruise.  I don't think I have heard or read about anyone having their computer stolen from their room. 

• Like 11

We take a laptop on every cruise.  Most of the time it stays on the desk in the cabin.  Occasionally, (if I'm feeling paranoid), I'll hide it somewhere.

I'm not overly concerned about crew but depending on where we are on the ship, I may take a few more precautions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sarleo said:

Thanks,  Sarah

It won’t fit in the safe but many bring their laptops. A new iPad should not die. IPads are practically bulletproof. Either call Apple or go to an Apple Store. It might just be a matter of a reset. Some resets require multiple button combinations. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sarleo said:

Thanks,  Sarah

An iPad will fit in the safe but not your Mac.  I bring my MacBook all the time and never a problem.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sarleo said:

Thanks,  Sarah

I have a 14" MBP and it does not fit in the room safe.  It does not deter me from bringing it on board and leaving it out on the desk.  If it's missing, it can be located with the Find My iPhone app.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

I hear so many talk about putting a iPad or Computer in a safe.    I've been on many many cruises and have never had a problem.  We leave them out in our room and nothing has ever been touched.   Never thought twice about having a problem.

I can tell you -  most crew value your their job more than a $1,000 tablet. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, sarleo said:

Thanks,  Sarah

It will not fit. It does fit into the top of one of the drawers. When the cabin is being cleaned the door is always blocked, very unlikely anyone could get in, search, find, grab the MBP. I take mine, reasonable precautions ok but no need for excessive worry. BTW, I also take my iPad and often leave it in the cabin and have never locked it in the safe. My only incident was when I left it on the table out by the pool bar. It was over an hour before i could reclaim it in lost and found.

Stan

• Like 1

I take my laptop on every vacation and cruise and don't put them in the safe. They never fit. I think some of the suites have safes where they fit. I saw that on some video reviews. But for the most part, they don't fit. I do put them in a drawer so they're not out in the open, but I don't feel they're at risk of being stolen since they're so easy to track. 

• Like 1

We travel with a MacBook Pro, iPad and 2 iPhones. We leave the laptop and iPad out in the cabin and have never had any problems with them disappearing. I don’t think your husband has anything to worry about. We don’t leave our iPhones out as we have these with us most of the time. Occasionally I may forget mine and leave it out in the cabin and it’s always there when I return.

• Like 1

My husband and I have brought our 2 MacBook Pros and our 2 iPhones on more than a dozen Celebrity cruises and we have NEVER even put them in a drawer.  They just sit on the counter space below the TV so we can easily keep things plugged in.  

As others have said, there's no way that the 15" laptops could fit into the regular safes. 

Edited by gardengalaz
typo
  • Like 1

I have left laptops, iPads, phones, etc.. out in our cabin many, many times and never had an issue.  The crew wouldn't have their jobs very long if they started stealing things, and the ship has cameras in all public areas so anyone who somehow managed to get into your cabin (highly doubtful to begin with) would be caught on camera.  

• Like 1

It may or may not fit, but with 5 days, assuming you have Apple Care and an Apple Store nearby, it’s about an hour and a half to replace an iPad. Unless he isn’t backing it up to the Apple Cloud…

And I also don’t worry about electronics out in the cabin. 

• Like 1