Fujairah

Joystick

We will be in Fujairah for a few hours in December on a cruise. Does anyone know whether there is a shuttle into town and where is the drop off. Is it possible to walk around by ourselves and visit the attractions ( such as Sheikh Zayed Mosque) on foot. Any suggestions as to what to see in town? Thanks!

I've been to Fujairah but never on a cruise, so I have no input on shuttles/ground transportation to/from the port other than taxis. 

You can definitely walk around yourself once you get in to the city, but...Fujairah kind of sucks, and it's not very pedestrian friendly. Even the best sites are out of town, because even the sites want to get out of town. Fujairah Fort is pretty cool, but that's about it. 

Fujairah has plenty to see regionally, but in the city itself there just isn't much at all, and it's not a very enjoyable place to just walk around. 

Been a few years, but I recall a port bus that dropped us at the port entrance near the fish market. Nothing nearby, not at all like Muscat close to the souk. Not sure where the dock is in relation to the centre or what shuttles the ship might offer, but nothing I recall contradicts Zach.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Having done some online research before leaving home, we knew this wasn't an ideal port for DIYers, so  took a shorex on our first visit.  There really wasn't much to see there.  Finding ourselves back there a few years later we stayed onboard instead of venturing out..

Joystick.  You need to check if you can actually visit the mosque as not every mosque everywhere allows non-muslims entry even outside prayer times. Eg in Muscat Oman only one mosque allows visitor entry.

And Fujairah is ultra conservative so dress codes could be very strict, more so than in ohers.  By that I mean for ladies, full coverage from head to toe.  theee is no alcohol at all, and sharia law applies.You need to research all of that.

By contrast, the similarly named Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi is breathtakingly beautiful and we got there by taxi, sharing with another couple off the ship who were also heading there from the cruise terminal.  We had all four pre-booked  (online) one of the earlier free morning tours which take you to indoor areas other members of the public cannot enter, including the main prayer hall.  if you have Abu Dhabi on your itinerary I suggest you go, but it does get extremely busy so go early.

Edinburgher,  Thank you for the good advice.  One of our stops is Abu Dhabi, for sure we will visit the beautiful mosque there.  As for Fujairah, maybe we will just take the shuttle to town and see what's there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

And Fujairah is ultra conservative so dress codes could be very strict, more so than in ohers.  By that I mean for ladies, full coverage from head to toe.

that comment referred to POSSIBLE dress code for  mosque entry if allowed although I don't actually know as we didn't enter one there.  We did visit one in Muscat(very strict dress code), the only one which allowed non muslim visitors, and the beautiful one in Abu Dhabi.  They will organise appopriate dress at the entrance for anyone who needs it.  And men should really wear long trousers which cover their legs, not just their knees.  Dress code guidance is usually found on the websites of individual mosques.