Celebrity cruise insurance

laughingas

After looking into cruise insurance self paid, I was wondering which insurance is adequate? Should we continue to purchase outside Celebrity or go with Celebrity’s cruise insurance. We are getting older and costs of insurance on outside is getting prohibitive.

3 minutes ago, laughingas said:

After looking into cruise insurance self paid, I was wondering which insurance is adequate? Should we continue to purchase outside Celebrity or go with Celebrity’s cruise insurance. We are getting older and costs of insurance on outside is getting prohibitive.

Celebrity coverage is very limited.  We call Steve at the Insurance Store.  Lots of discussion at the insurance Forum.  Suggest you will get info there.

• Like 3

Check prices at insuremytrip.com. They give you a price and benefit comparison for many insurance companies. You don't have to buy from them but I've been happy doing so. Price would be the same through them or direct from the company you choose.

I always recommend buying third party insurance.

Edited by cruisinfly
Correct spelling errors
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, laughingas said:

Hopefully, you never need to use the insurance coverage , but in the event you do , the coverage limits on the X cruise care are very low compared to the actual costs you may incur.

Medicare does not help in most countries outside of the USA.

The trip insurance store folks can advise you about the details.

I was recently surprised to find out that my Medicare Advantage policy with United does cover emergency medical and evacuation expenses outside the US.  In the past I have purchased a policy with minimum cruise cost coverage.  Since my concern is for medical expenses, the policy provides 100% medical coverage with very high limits at a very reasonable cost.

• Like 1

I would never buy insurance from Celebrity.  Its to their benefit to deny you, and from what I'm reading here the coverage is minimal.  We always buy ours from a company on Insuremytrip.com.  They cover the entire vacation-cruise, air, days spent before and after the trip, ect.  Not just during the cruise itself.

Edited by GeorgiaRetiredCruisers

20 hours ago, laughingas said:

Check InsureMyTrip; have contracted with them since 2003, lots of options to choose from.  [thank God we never had to use the insurance]. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeorgiaRetiredCruisers said:

I would never buy insurance from Celebrity.  Its to their benefit to deny you, and from what I'm reading here the coverage is minimal.  We always buy ours from a company on Insuremytrip.com.  They cover the entire vacation-cruise, air, days spent before and after the trip, ect.  Not just during the cruise itself.

Remember Celebrity does not sell insurance.   They offer a very minimal policy from an outside insurance company.

There are excellent insurance agents that specialize in trip insurance.

FWIW it actually is to the benefit of insurance companies to fairly settle claims because not doing so creates a very bad reputation and eventually falling sales and profits.  The issue today is a huge lack of agents to handle claims.

You are correct the company you mention is excellent as is the insurance store.

Last,, someone suggested Medicare will cover accidents/care outside the US.  It ONLY covers if you are indirect transit from the US to Alaska or in a couple locations where a Canadian facility is closer than one in the US.  Point Roberts WA is one of these as it has only a visiting doctor once or twice a week and Canada a hospital 5 miles away.

Medicare Advantage plans ofen DO COVER outside the US.  The only issue is you pay first and they reimburse.  Thus could be difficult if bills were substantial. 

• Thanks 1