Malta (Valletta) 8-5 stop. Anyone do Blue Lagoon??

We'd really love to go to the Blue Lagoon (along w/1000's of others. lol) but I see most tours are around 7 hrs so we wouldn't make it back in time.  Ideally, we'd love a boat with a water slide for the kids.  Has anyone done this by possibly taking a bus to a different port & going out of there?  Please advise.  Thank you!!

The water temperature in the sea around Iceland in the summer is 49F.  Boat ride with slide for kids?  We went to the Vok Baths which is a geothermal area within an inland lake.  The baths were hot but if you jumped into the lake it was in the 50's.  I don't know if any of the geothermal swimming pools or baths have a play area for kids with a slide.  

• 2 months later...

Not sure we would go to the Blue Lagoon on a a cruise day unless our ship was staying in Valetta until very late.    It can take 1 1/2 hours just to get to Cirkewwa via local bus (depending on your timing/schedule).  And than you may have to it for some time (varies depending on your timing) to get the ferry over to Comino Island.  Coming back you must reverse the process and you need to allow extra time to get back to your ship from the bus station. 

If you really have your heart set on the idea, than you can certainly save a lot of time by grabbing a taxi from Valetta to Cirkewwa (not sure how easy it is to find a taxi on the return trip).  A taxi should be able to make the trip (to Cirkewwa) in about a half hour (once it gets away from Valletta traffic).  Our concern would be the return trip, making connections (i.e. ferry, taxi or bus, etc).  

Although we routinely do our own thing in most ports, about fifty years of extensive cruise experience has taught us to err on the side of caution in terms getting back to the ship.  We like to talk about "Plan B" which is always our thinking on how we can catch-up to the ship in the unlikely case that we do not get back on time.  From Malta, a Plan B, can be very expensive depending on your itinerary.  

On the other hand, I like your way of thinking (to do things on your own) so perhaps you take your chances and hope for the best :).  Just make sure to have your Passports and some decent credit cards!

Hank

• Like 1