Royal Caribbean app. with Verizon

43 minutes ago, suzeecruise said:

How does the app. work, do we put our phones in airplane mode once we are on board? If so will we get charged $10 a day Travel Pass session from Verizon? This will be my first time using the app. 

I've had Verizon for decades and never heard of that "Travel Pass" thing.  No, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't heard of it.  But, my point that I'm trying to get to is that I have never been charged extra for any cell phone usage by Verizon while cruising.  Just do the "Airplane Mode" thing and you are covered.   

I do have the International plan so I turn off the "Airplane Mode" when we get off the ship in ports of call in Mexico and other covered countries and call home if need be, and then turn on "Airplane Mode" as we are getting back on the ship.

Just turn on "Airplane Mode" and enjoy!

52 minutes ago, suzeecruise said:

How does the app. work, do we put our phones in airplane mode once we are on board? If so will we get charged $10 a day Travel Pass session from Verizon? This will be my first time using the app. 

We have Verizon phone service.  Put phone in airplane mode, wifi and no problem using Royal's app.  You don't need to buy wifi pkg if you're only using the app.  I have the $10 daily plan (or $5 in Canada) if I'm only going to need my phone a few times but when we were in Australia and New Zealand for 7 weeks I used the monthly international pass.  There are other options.  Check with Verizon.   

1 hour ago, suzeecruise said:

Travel Passes work in port, not on the ship.  We have used them for years when we cruise.

The app will work on the ship by just connecting to Royal wifi.  Put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to wifi.  You will then be able to use the free chat function in the app, though it isn't very good, and also access the compass and make reservations etc.

If you need internet access or want to call or message off the ship, you will need to buy a Voom package.  Verizon does have a cruise plan again but it has very minimal data, like 50mb, and isn't worth the money in my opinion.

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

We have Verizon phone service.  Put phone in airplane mode, wifi and no problem using Royal's app.  You don't need to buy wifi pkg if you're only using the app.  I have the $10 daily plan (or $5 in Canada) if I'm only going to need my phone a few times but when we were in Australia and New Zealand for 7 weeks I used the monthly international pass.  There are other options.  Check with Verizon.   

Thank you!