24 hours in Southampton?

We are on the NCL Prima ending in Southampton on 8/6. Planning one overnight to see Stonehenge and fly home on 8/7. I've never been to Southampton and am overwhelmed. Does anyone know if there is a rental car terminal at the port? I've found a couple hotels nearly, some drivable and some walkable from port. Just debating a car rental or an alternate way to explore, we are a party of 4.

NCL normally use the new Horizon cruise terminal. There is no car rental depot right there but Hertz and Enterprise both have locations nearby and I believe Enterprise - and who knows, maybe Hertz too - will collect you from the terminal and take you to your car. They certainly used to.

Look for posts in this forum from "John Bull" listing some of the available options. [lodging choices, nearby attractions, transport options to London airports]. A frequent suggestion is taking a train to Salisbury, and using a hop on hop off bus there to visit Stonehenge, the town and the cathedral as a day trip. [ideally without luggage]

There are no rental car desks at the terminals [at least not at the 'Ocean' or 'Mayflower' terminals]. We have always been an 'in transit' passenger for Southampton, so our luggage stayed  on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Did someone call my name ? 

So this is friday 9th June, right?

Rental agencies in the port/city centre area include Hertz & Europcar in a spur off West Quay Road (and confusingly also called West Quay Road) and Alamo, Enterprise & National opposite the train station in Western Esplanade. There are also a couple of cheap local operators

Avis & Sixt are out at Southampton airport, a 20 minute / £20 taxi ride or a £4 pp train ride. I don't think they offer delivery.

Road-legal third-party insurance is always included, cover against vehicle damage is often included but with a high excess (£1200 to £2000), the premium for zero excess can be as much as the basic rental fee.

Stonehenge is a 32 mile drive via Salisbury, or further but easier using divided highways past Winchester. Either takes about 50 minutes excluding delays.

One problem with driving is that visitor numbers at Stonehenge are limited, and in order to guarantee entry on busy days you need to buy your Stonehenge tickets on-line & quote your arrival time (a 30-minute window). Miss that slot and you may have a long wait for numbers to drop. This refers to your entry time only - once in you can stay as long as you like. If you choose to drive, I suggest you allow yourselves 90 minutes in Salisbury first (laid-back historic city with magnificent cathedral). Stonehenge is about 15 - 20 minutes from Salisbury, so if you set off later than planned or are delayed en-route you can just cut your time in Salisbury to suit.

Whether you buy Stonehenge tickets on-line and rent a car, or take the train to  Salisbury then the Stonehenge ho-ho & buy your Stonehenge tickets with the ho-ho tickets, the total cost for four adults will be about £200.

Apart from being a simpler day, buying your Stonehenge tickets with your ho-ho tickets gives you entry at any time, no need to specify an arrival slot.

Fuller details & links in my reply to this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2909775-southhampton-to-stonehenge/#comment-64696260

JB 🙂

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

So this is friday 9th June, right?

Just realised - this is the American way of writing a date.🙄

So it's sunday 6th August.

Right this time?

Which brings a few side issues.....

Stonehenge will be busy - if driving you need to pre-book Stonehenge on-line and make doubly-sure you arrive in your booked 30-minute window.

Or buy the "any time" tickets with your ho-ho tickets

Some car rental agencies aren't open on a sunday, some are on shorter hours.

Normally you can return a car out-of-hours by putting the key thro a box at the premises, but better to return in next morning if the hours suit your departure for the airport.

There will be sunday services at Salisbury cathedral, so they'll impact on visitor hours 

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/worship-and-music/services/

JB 🙂

7 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Hi JB,  Other recommendations for our day in Southampton?

What you can achieve in or around Southampton depends on whether you have a full day (or longer) or it's just a port-of-call visit or you're on back-to-back cruises.

For instance travel to places like Roman / Georgian Bath or maritime Portsmouth or the Isle of Wight or Victorian seaside resort of Weymouth need a very full day (no sailing away that day). 

Salisbury + Stonehenge or Beaulieu can be done on a rushed port-of-call visit, but it'd be more relaxing to visit nearby Winchester. Or Southampton has enough of interst to the cruiser for a day

I'm not sure you could do much on a b2b turnaround day involving two ships because of the time needed to shift or stash your luggage and the registration time for your second cruise. But the sights in Southampton city centre are only a five-minute taxi ride from the cruise terminals. They include the old-town sights like the Bargate and city wall, the Tudor House and Gardens, the Medieval Merchant's House (weekends only), and God's Tower (houses archaeology museum). Plus the SeaCity museum and Solent Sky aviation museum

Google those places, see what you think -  search  "visit Bath (or wherever) UK".

Here are a couple of links and a couple of Cruise Critic threads

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/southampton-eng-hmp-so.htm

https://visitsouthampton.co.uk/business-directory/see-do-southampton

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840370-southampton/#comment-62889265

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2921033-southampton/#comment-64958303

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks JB.  We arrive in Southampton the day before our cruise departs.  We will probably stop at Windsor on the way there.  We will probably arrive mid afternoon and our cruise does not leave until afternoon the next day.

For a decent day / afternoon out I'd jump on the train down to Portsmouth Harbour, 45 minute ride ,  £10.50 return,  direct and trains every 15 minutes or so. 

You are then within walking distance of some real UK / English history. Namely  the Portsmouth historic dockyard with HMS Victory ( Nelsons flagship) which you can board and the Mary Rose museum. On the same site is the National museum of the Royal Navy. You also have the Spinnaker Tower for excellent views of the harbour, plenty of pubs a large shopping centre (Gunwharf Quay) with several food outlets on your doorstep.

You're also adjacent to an operating Royal Navy base, often they have some impressive warships on view.

A decent, quite simple, good value DIY trip that will leave you with some excellent memories and a real flavour of English history if that's your thing.  

Edited by doog442

19 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Thanks JB.  We arrive in Southampton the day before our cruise departs.  We will probably stop at Windsor on the way there.  We will probably arrive mid afternoon and our cruise does not leave until afternoon the next day.

Your time in Southampton is split between two days - some places outside Southampton eg Bath, Isle of Wight, Weymouth won't fit your schedule, for others like Winchester or Portsmouth consider a hotel there.

But probably better to stick to Southampton sights in your limited time

JB 🙂 

8 hours ago, mskaufman said:

That's our plan.  Any recommendations for what to see in Southampton.

Google the Southampton places near the bottom of in my last post - add Southampton UK to your search line

Top of any list would be the Tudor House & Gardens.

SeaCity and Solent Sky would figure near the top of most folks' list.

In the city entre you're bound to see the Bargate, mebbe walk the city wall (metal staircase in the street to the side of the Bargate behind Burger King).

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 2:45 AM, John Bull said:

Google the Southampton places near the bottom of in my last post - add Southampton UK to your search line

Top of any list would be the Tudor House & Gardens.

SeaCity and Solent Sky would figure near the top of most folks' list.

In the city entre you're bound to see the Bargate, mebbe walk the city wall (metal staircase in the street to the side of the Bargate behind Burger King).

JB 🙂

John Bull, need advice on NE, you have helped me previously. An 11am arrival into LHR without checked bag & am wondering if noon or 13;45 bus is best to book. I will do the 5 pound change so I have options if flight is delayed. How does it work if bus fare is more? Do they chatge the difference? I'm sure they don't refund if fare is cheaper!

36 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

John Bull, need advice on NE, you have helped me previously. An 11am arrival into LHR without checked bag & am wondering if noon or 13;45 bus is best to book. I will do the 5 pound change so I have options if flight is delayed. How does it work if bus fare is more? Do they chatge the difference? I'm sure they don't refund if fare is cheaper!

Noon is a bit risky but very possible, especially since you won't be hanging around in baggage reclaim (the route still takes you thro the baggage hall to customs and the arrival hall) .

Change & Go only works for buses that aren't fully-booked, and that's pretty impossible to predict.

So I'd be inclined to book the 13.45 as a banker, and hope both that I make the 11.45 in time and that it's not fully booked.

You might fall foul of my advice, but at least you're guaranteed to make the 13.45 and that your seat on it is guaranteed.  

BUT...........but but but but but

Are you flying in on sailing day?

The 13.45 gets to Southampton coach station at 16.00(4pm), so you're not likely to get to your cruise terminal until about 4.15pm, later than many cruise registrations close . Do you know the latest registration time for your cruise ?

JB 🙂

Edited to add. On random dates that I checked the fare is the same for all bus times except the late-nite and diabolically early buses

Edited by John Bull

55 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Noon is a bit risky but very possible, especially since you won't be hanging around in baggage reclaim (the route still takes you thro the baggage hall to customs and the arrival hall) .

Change & Go only works for buses that aren't fully-booked, and that's pretty impossible to predict.

So I'd be inclined to book the 13.45 as a banker, and hope both that I make the 11.45 in time and that it's not fully booked.

You might fall foul of my advice, but at least you're guaranteed to make the 13.45 and that your seat on it is guaranteed.  

BUT...........but but but but but

Are you flying in on sailing day?

The 13.45 gets to Southampton coach station at 16.00(4pm), so you're not likely to get to your cruise terminal until about 4.15pm, later than many cruise registrations close . Do you know the latest registration time for your cruise ?

JB 🙂

Edited to add. On random dates that I checked the fare is the same for all bus times except the late-nite and diabolically early buses

Thank you! Am not flying in the same day & I tend to think the same way you do as to booking the 13:45. The bus trip back to LHR was the one that had fare difference between 9:45 & 11.I ended up booking flight to Amsterdam out of LHR for a couple reasons - I could get KLM that leaves at 2:45pm & they have a later flight if that is missed or cancelled. The flight out of Southampton was much later & I didn't want to risk 9:20 as some people from MSC said their debarkation has been delayed. 

Thank you for all of your help

Edited by victory2020

@John Bull

I've months ago reserved a Hertz car, but it's for a Saturday in June.   My understanding is that the Hertz location, West Quay Industrial Estate, on West Quay Road is somehow open for cruise passengers on Saturday & Sunday, but closed to anyone else.

I'm still a bit nervous about how to pick up the car.... don't want to get off our cruise ship and find the agency locked up & us with no car.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mary

14 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

@John Bull

I've months ago reserved a Hertz car, but it's for a Saturday in June.   My understanding is that the Hertz location, West Quay Industrial Estate, on West Quay Road is somehow open for cruise passengers on Saturday & Sunday, but closed to anyone else.

I'm still a bit nervous about how to pick up the car.... don't want to get off our cruise ship and find the agency locked up & us with no car.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I've tried several times thismorning to  phone the West Quay branch, but they're not picking up. And their head office's phone menus are driving me round the houses. I'll try again later but then I'm incommunicado for up to 24 hours.

You could try their live-chat

The website https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/location/unitedkingdom/southampton/SOUC60 does say ***Cruise Line passengers arriving on Sunday must book the Southampton Airport. Only Cruise Line passengers arriving Mon-Fri 0800-1800 and Sat 0900-1300 can book on this location****Calls to 0843 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.

Good luck

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, John Bull said:

Did someone call my name ? 

Fuller details & links in my reply to this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2909775-southhampton-to-stonehenge/#comment-64696260

JB 🙂

JB-

Just wanted to pop in and thank you for your postings. Our family of 3 will be traveling from the states to visit the UK on June 22nd and board the Prima in Southampton on June 25. I have been trying to figure out the best way to see Stonehenge on 6/24, and was looking at a lot of different tours, but your train / Ho-Ho bus seems to be the best idea yet. 

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to outline and detail the plan to follow for the trip, while it's simple for you, for people visiting for the first time it's extremely valuable information!!

I'd really like to proceed with the idea, but my wife has some limitations to consider from a car accident (brain injury) a couple years back and just need a couple contingency plans for her in case fatigue sets in. In a pinch, is it easy enough to take a Taxi from Salisbury to Southampton (I'm sure it's pricy)? Are there any "quiet" areas in Salisbury in which my wife could rest, for example a peaceful park or other area without many crowds on a Saturday? Sorry for the odd questions, just takes a little more creativity with proceeding with the plans than it used to!

Again, thank you for spending your time helping others visit your neck of the woods! Cheers!

48 minutes ago, tcrandal said:

JB-

Just wanted to pop in and thank you for your postings. Our family of 3 will be traveling from the states to visit the UK on June 22nd and board the Prima in Southampton on June 25. I have been trying to figure out the best way to see Stonehenge on 6/24, and was looking at a lot of different tours, but your train / Ho-Ho bus seems to be the best idea yet. 

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to outline and detail the plan to follow for the trip, while it's simple for you, for people visiting for the first time it's extremely valuable information!!

I'd really like to proceed with the idea, but my wife has some limitations to consider from a car accident (brain injury) a couple years back and just need a couple contingency plans for her in case fatigue sets in. In a pinch, is it easy enough to take a Taxi from Salisbury to Southampton (I'm sure it's pricy)? Are there any "quiet" areas in Salisbury in which my wife could rest, for example a peaceful park or other area without many crowds on a Saturday? Sorry for the odd questions, just takes a little more creativity with proceeding with the plans than it used to!

Again, thank you for spending your time helping others visit your neck of the woods! Cheers!

Yes, you could take a taxi from Salisbury to Southampton.

But it's about 24 miles, just under an hour by road.

So it'd be expensive - especially since you won't know so won't be able to pre-book.

Perfect situation to get an Uber,- a fixed price and cheaper than hailing a metered taxi.

But still expensive.

And don't buy a one-way train ticket just in case - a return ticket is only a couple of £ more than a one-way.

Where to take a rest depends where you are in Salisbury.

The Cathedral Close is very pleasant & big enough to be quiet.

Or there are some riverside towpaths (tho I don't know about seats) and a number of small parks in the city centre.

But it's a saturday, so don't expect too much peace & quiet. And do pre-book.

JB 🙂