NCL Epic in June 2023?

The Epic allows embarkation at both Barcelona and Rome, so people can start their cruises at either.

Usually the cruises are the same length, as they are doing loops, but in this case I assume there is a change in itinerary that causes the difference in length.

Barcelona always used to be the main embarkation port, so people boarding in Rome would have freestyle dailies starting at around day 4, for example, but I think it has evened out a bit more in recent years, so it may not seem as much like you are boarding mid cruise.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 6:42 AM, Twocoasts said:

We did this cruise out of Rome last year. Having two embarkation ports was great because it reduces the number of people boarding. I think it took us less than 30 minutes from security to being on board.

I was watching videos online of people on that sailing last year. I'm used to shorter sailings in Alaska and Mexico and the Caribbean and have never done one in Europe. I love how everyday you are at a port except for 1 but did it feel like taking the cruise was just really a place to sleep, get breakfast, and get the occasional dinner? I mean would the food and entertainment really matter if you are rarely even on the ship?

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just take a shorter cheaper cruise in the Med. (although I think the NCL price was reasonable for me traveling alone...looks like with tax in a studio cabin it would be  $129.50 with the 150min wifi package but if I got the full package it would be $152.30 a night.  I've always met singles around my age (30s) at  the solo events and it was nice to go out with them and to share meals with but it seems like on Med sailings it's not really your typical cruise as far as the cruise experience goes if that makes sense. 

I'm  just not sure if it makes sense for me to take this cruise (I was planning on being in Europe anyway in the summer regardless of cruise or no cruise) or if I should just pick a couple of the stops I would have liked to have gone to and spend a few nights in each at a hotel. 

On 4/21/2023 at 5:40 AM, dexddd said:

Ncl even had three embarkation ports on a seven day before with BCN being the main one.  The off ports didn't offer all the rooms. 

On our first Epic cruise of the Mediterranean, embarkation was at Barcelona, Civitavecchia (Rome), and Marseilles.  More than 3000 passengers boarded at Barcelona, a few hundred at Civitavecchia, and perhaps a few dozen at Marseilles.

21 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

On our first Epic cruise of the Mediterranean, embarkation was at Barcelona, Civitavecchia (Rome), and Marseilles.  More than 3000 passengers boarded at Barcelona, a few hundred at Civitavecchia, and perhaps a few dozen at Marseilles.

Right.  At one point they also had Malta with Gem.  Looked like six people at check in.

22 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm  just not sure if it makes sense for me to take this cruise (I was planning on being in Europe anyway in the summer regardless of cruise or no cruise) or if I should just pick a couple of the stops I would have liked to have gone to and spend a few nights in each at a hotel. 

I can't comment on the singles scene on a cruise vs land, but I as for exploring via floating hotel vs land based one, a port heavy cruise makes a good compromise between hubby and I.  He wants to pack as many different places into one vacation as possible and I really dislike transferring between hotels in the middle of a vacation.  So, a port heavy European cruise is a good compromise.  I minimize the packing and unpacking, he gets to see multiple countries.  

It is only a quick taste of each place, for sure.  So, one bite each of 8 desserts? Or four bites each of two desserts? or just savor one decadent slice of New York cheesecake? 😆

What a wonderful thing to have options!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

I can't comment on the singles scene on a cruise vs land, but I as for exploring via floating hotel vs land based one, a port heavy cruise makes a good compromise between hubby and I.  He wants to pack as many different places into one vacation as possible and I really dislike transferring between hotels in the middle of a vacation.  So, a port heavy European cruise is a good compromise.  I minimize the packing and unpacking, he gets to see multiple countries.  

It is only a quick taste of each place, for sure.  So, one bite each of 8 desserts? Or four bites each of two desserts? or just savor one decadent slice of New York cheesecake? 😆

What a wonderful thing to have options!

Great post! I am a solo female traveler and have done both land and cruise vacations (and combinations) in Europe multiple times. I will typically travel to another country prior to embarking on the cruise portion but do love to unpack once and see multiple countries after that. And then I sometimes travel to another country after getting off the ship (example: prior to my Baltic cruise I spent time in London and 4 days in Germany, then got on the ship for 9 days, disembarking in CPH, where I spent a full day before flying to Norway).

Last night I found a 4 day cruise on the Escape for next year that I think is perfect for me...I will spend a day or two in Barcelona pre-cruise, then board the ship (it has an overnight in Florence, where I will get a hotel rather than head back to port) and ends in Rome, where I will stay another few days. The price of the cruise is less than what I would pay for 4 nights hotel in Europe, plus I will have meals included and my transportation from Spain to Italy. I feel like I am getting the best of both worlds.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:37 AM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

or if I should just pick a couple of the stops I would have liked to have gone to and spend a few nights in each at a hotel. 

Personal preference. 

Do you want to spend quality time in 2 cities to see them in depth, OR, visit 9 cities to check them out with the idea you may return to explore further?

Or in my case, I wanted to see several ports that I wouldnt make time for on a land tour but the cruise gave me the opportunity to say 'been there, done that". 

p.s. the itinerary can be exhausting.  We weren't able to take advantage of all the entertainment options.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

Personal preference. 

Do you want to spend quality time in 2 cities to see them in depth, OR, visit 9 cities to check them out with the idea you may return to explore further?

Or in my case, I wanted to see several ports that I wouldnt make time for on a land tour but the cruise gave me the opportunity to say 'been there, done that". 

p.s. the itinerary can be exhausting.  We weren't able to take advantage of all the entertainment options.

I'm on the fence about it. I ruled out going on the Epic even though the price was right. I realized the only places I really wanted to go to were Mallorca and Ibiza. The only one at this point I have my eye on is one of the Greek Isles since I've never been to Greece. Even though the price seems fair to me right now at $145 a night (does not include wifi, gratuity or anything else), I think I'm going to wait it out. I'll be in Europe on vacation anyway at the time. I realize that food isn't that much of a factor since lunch, most breakfasts, and some dinners I wouldn't even have on the ship.