Muster Drills and guests with disabilities

cascargirl

Hi, Don't worry about having to use the stairway if you are unable. My Mom uses a wheelchair for distances so I always "park" her on the lifeboat deck by our Muster station and then get our life jackets from the cabin. Your muster station is posted in your cabin as well as the time of the drill. We just set up a bit early to beat the crowds.:)

We always get our life jackets and take the elevator before they call muster. That way we are already on the deck we need to be on and then can make our way out on deck. Princess does their lifeboat drill in the theatre and you aren't required to stand out in the sun.

Last year on Carnival, they did recommend taking my mother (in a wheelchair) to the area before they called the drill. We used the time to just walk up and down, looking at the life boats, etc. When they called the drill, we positioned ourselves right beside the door out (just to the side of it, not in front of it) This is where the staff put us, so we would be able to get out first, so we didn't have to try to manuver the w/c around everyone else to get out.

We do the same. My mother (the wheelchair user) goes to the muster area about 20 minutes before the scheduled time (using an elevator) then once I have her settled I walk the stairs to our cabin and pick up all 3 of our life jackets. We also plan to stay on that same deck for at least 30 minutes AFTER the muster when EVERYONE is trying to take the elevators. Take a book, or plan to take a walk (which is what we usually do if we are on the Promanade deck anyway). Some ships have you wait in a certain lounge if you are in a wheelchair...Princess now does this for all their passengers on most ships, which is much more pleasant than sitting out in the hot sun or cold on deck.

We usually try to go a little early too, but getting to the drill has never been a problem even if we go at the signal.

Actually, its getting an elevator after the drill that usually takes a long time. In fact, on the Serenade a few years ago, it took us over 45 minutes because all 6 elevators are on the same control so one would pass our deck while another was loading.

My mother is a non-transfer assist double amputee with advanced MS. She is always polite - but occasionally stubborn. She saves the later for muster drill. She just stays in her cabin and takes the position with the steward, "After the great cruise we're going to have, why live? I'll go down with the ship." They've never bothered her about it yet.

I was on the Explorer last week in a wheelchair. No worries about the muster drill. I put the life jacket on in my room when the drill was starting. Had no problem getting an elavator (at any time during the week). There are lots of elavators on the ship and only a hand full of times all week the it was full before we could get on(1 minute later another was available). 5 minutes into the muster drill we were told we could leave before everyone else. Your going to love the Explorer!! Never once did the ship feel crowded. have fun..

Over the last decade plus I went from able to disabled.

I did learn to carry a cane as it helped even before I became dependent upon it as to have folks not bump me or push me over. I utilzed my wheelchair alot last two cruises (one Norwegian one Royal Carib). Staff was great for the musters.

Sent a staff member to cabin to insure that I was not in any need. But my wife wheeled me up. They let us leave early to avoid the traffic: smart.

Did have my cane taken twice by "kids" but it showed up in lost and found: please label your equipment with a nametag and stateroom!

I am leaving out the cruises when we booked the "Owner's Suite" as we had so many attending crew that I felt I was the Duke of Earl! :D

I id get blocked a few times by cleaning carts and such: once staff knew I was in a chair they avoided placing carts in positions that blocked my access:

I tipped then well at end of cruise. I did get a few shin bruises from folks slamming doors to decks and a couple elevator door hits.

As to the person's mum staying: her right: trust me if the ship had issues as in something like this week, well; I have lead a good life. I would not want some crew going down because of me. Nor my wife as I cannot swim, climb and have no desire as I said to take anyone with me.

The crew seemed to really look after the younger disabled (kids) and last year both cruises had all the "gimps" at the same lifeboat areas. Suspect they lowered the capacity of the boats to ensure that our wheelchairs would be placed inside. I hope so: but who knows.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a cabin that is modified for those with hearing impairments? Some cruise lines equip them with strobe lights that flash when their is a drill or actual emergency. Have you requested an ASL interpreter (assuming you are fluent in ASL)? Some cruise lines provide with prior arrangements (at no cost to you). You should expect either an interpreter or written instructions for the safety muster drill.

The time for the muster drill will also be printed in your daily program. Check this right away when arriving on the ship.

Do you have a cabin that is modified for those with hearing impairments? Some cruise lines equip them with strobe lights that flash when their is a drill or actual emergency. Have you requested an ASL interpreter (assuming you are fluent in ASL)? Some cruise lines provide with prior arrangements (at no cost to you). You should expect either an interpreter or written instructions for the safety muster drill.

The time for the muster drill will also be printed in your daily program. Check this right away when arriving on the ship.

Also, on HAL the information on the muster drill is presented on the TV in your cabin ... there are subtitles, as I recall, when they do the demos, and probably close-caption if you need it.

How do those with a hearing disability know when it's time for the muster drill? And also, how do we know the instructions that are being given to us?

I mentioned this to DH, who writes a column on disability issues.

He called HAL [because that is the line we cruise on] and was told that they do not provide an interpreter.

However, a person with a hearing disability can make arrangements to take his/her own interpreter on a cruise, and HAL will provide the interpreter with a free inside cabin and the interpreter does not have to pay gratuities.

My mom does not look so disabled but has had quadruple bypass, cancer surgery, and really needs a knee replacement which they cannot do because of where they took the veins for the bypass. So we were told when we were going on the Fantasy, to get to the muster station a half hour early. We were going at least a half hour earlier then it said and the crew absolutely refused to let us use an elevator. We had to climb up 3 flights of stairs. It was horrible. I don't know what we will do this next time. But hopefully, we will be earlier! And there was no place to sit either. It was one of those situations where one of the younger people could have offered a 75 year old their seat, but no one did. That is probably my worst memory of the trip! So Good luck!

After several HAl cruises on the S Class ships..the only ones I will now cruise on..They said my DH could attend muster staton drill and I could remain in the cabin....

So he goes down...knows where to take me if needed and I remain in Suite.

My mom does not look so disabled but has had quadruple bypass, cancer surgery, and really needs a knee replacement which they cannot do because of where they took the veins for the bypass. So we were told when we were going on the Fantasy, to get to the muster station a half hour early. We were going at least a half hour earlier then it said and the crew absolutely refused to let us use an elevator. We had to climb up 3 flights of stairs. It was horrible. I don't know what we will do this next time. But hopefully, we will be earlier! And there was no place to sit either. It was one of those situations where one of the younger people could have offered a 75 year old their seat, but no one did. That is probably my worst memory of the trip! So Good luck!

You should try Princess next time as they muster inside the ship. We always go about 30 minutes before muster on the elevator, holding our life jackets.

Your mother might enjoy traveling with a folding rollator with a seat. I too have knee and heart problems and could not travel without it. Since it has a seat she could use it on the Carnival ship when she is at muster. I got my second one at Egan Medical on Ebay for $148. (It was $60 more at the local medical equipment store)

We had a HC room (i am in a wheelchair) on Deck 10 and we had to go to Deck 7 for the drill

I went when they called for the drill I went down in the elevator and went out on deck

No problems

They told me they new I was in a chair and if there was a need to Muster They would help me down the stairs

I told them If there was a fire or we were sinking I would have no problem going down stairs...in the chair...sliding down on my butt....down is easier than up

I mentioned this to DH, who writes a column on disability issues.

He called HAL [because that is the line we cruise on] and was told that they do not provide an interpreter.

However, a person with a hearing disability can make arrangements to take his/her own interpreter on a cruise, and HAL will provide the interpreter with a free inside cabin and the interpreter does not have to pay gratuities.

Thank you so much for this very interesting and valuable information! I would very much like to read your DH's column on disability issues and wonder if it is posted somewhere on the internet after publication?

Also, I am assuming that HAL stands for "Holland America....something". Am I right about that?

Thanks again for your reply.

If you are interested in having a sign language interpreter on the cruise with you, another option would be Royal Caribbean International, who apparently will supply them on their Royal Caribbean cruise line cruises and Celebrity cruises, according to this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=113732&highlight=intepreter

You would have to request this service in advance, along with the hearing assistance device package for your stateroom.

So this might be an option for someone who does not have an interpreter who can go with them on the cruise.

My son has autism. He is 9. This will be his first cruise. I am wondering about getting on the ship. I have not cruised since I was single and did not pay attention to such issues at the time. We are taking the cruise out of NY for 5 days to see how he does. We can drive there from our home so the plane is not an issue. Do they board children/people with disabilities first? I am concerned about long waits for him and am trying to gather as much information as I can. He is usually able to walk but when things get tough he uses a wheel chair so that he can concentrate on keeping himself together. Walking is sometimes too much to ask. RC say that they will have a wheelchair available but I am wondering if I should rent one and take it with us. Normally at the mall...Disney...etc we just use one of theirs and I has worked fine. Any thoughts or experience?

If he sometimes needs a wheelchair, take one with you (why don't you buy one???). You cannot depend on being about to get one once you are on the ship, and there are times when there is a lot of standing around in crowds while aboard. While you can probably get one for embarkation and disembarkation, you will be competing with a lot of frail elderly for the limited wheelchairs. The crew will assist just as well if you have your own.

Archived