Coronation celebrations

Sue-B

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I certainly hope they sell oodles and oodles, to make up for the money they must have lost.

If we hadn't been Cunarding soon, I'd have dragged him on it, subject to us getting a cabin we liked. I can stomach Mary for that length of time and I think this will be a fabulous cruise, and why not boozy, elegantly so of course!😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

If we hadn't been Cunarding soon, I'd have dragged him on it, subject to us getting a cabin we liked. I can stomach Mary for that length of time and I think this will be a fabulous cruise, and why not boozy, elegantly so of course!😁

Lots of champagne.

Well we were expecting our first Cunard Cruise to be next year on Queen Anne (Britannia Club). Thanks to our excellent TA, by 1305 U.K. today, all of a sudden it’s going to be next week in Princess Grill on QM2 at the princely sum of £99.80 pppn. Newbie question - do gents have to wear jackets (and/or ties) in the Princess Grill restaurant on casual nights?

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Well we were expecting our first Cunard Cruise to be next year on Queen Anne (Britannia Club). Thanks to our excellent TA, by 1305 U.K. today, all of a sudden it’s going to be next week in Princess Grill on QM2 at the princely sum of £99.80 pppn. Newbie question - do gents have to wear jackets (and/or ties) in the Princess Grill restaurant on casual nights?

No, but with the weather as it is at the moment you might need a sheepskin overcoat. 😀

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No, but with the weather as it is at the moment you might need a sheepskin overcoat. 😀

😂 Thanks. As luck would have it, the forecast for next week actually looks pretty good - even in Liverpool (sunny and 15 degrees C)

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

15. Good? For May??

Only just May, so yes - especially after the weather we’ve been having lately! Plus, in the sunshine that’s quite pleasant. I’ll take that over the wind and rain of this week. Didn’t really book the cruise for the weather though, in all honesty 😉 

You will all have an amazing time in Liverpool - what is not to love - it is a hive of activity at the moment with the build up to the Eurovision, and of course you will enjoy the coronation celebrations on board! Very jealous but hoping for some great blogs along the way!

1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

You will all have an amazing time in Liverpool - what is not to love - it is a hive of activity at the moment with the build up to the Eurovision, and of course you will enjoy the coronation celebrations on board! Very jealous but hoping for some great blogs along the way!

Eurovisition!  Yay!!!!

47 minutes ago, tring said:

Enjoy while you can, formality is constantly being watered down.

We are over in Liverpool which is getting quite busy as the weekend approaches.  Signs of Eurovision appearing, so city will be buzzing when you arrive.  Not sure of events, but I do know there is a light installation in The Albert Dock, 10 pm until midnight, which could be a pleasant evening stroll after dinner and perhaps a drink there if you can find a seat, though seats may be difficult to find.

I was hoping for an overnight in Liverpool (to see the historic waterfront illuminated) which I believe was the original intention (arrive 1130 Wed 3rd, depart evening of Thu 4th), but the schedule shows that we arrive and depart on 4th, so we will only be there in daylight now. 

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I was hoping for an overnight in Liverpool (to see the historic waterfront illuminated) which I believe was the original intention (arrive 1130 Wed 3rd, depart evening of Thu 4th), but the schedule shows that we arrive and depart on 4th, so we will only be there in daylight now. 

The letter delivered to guests on QV/QM2 refers to an 11.30pm arrival on 3rd  with an 11.00pm departure on 4th.  Is that incorrect now?

IMG_20230426_072238.thumb.jpg.9b3348067e2ac8823861950298d553da.jpg

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The letter delivered to guests on QV/QM2 refers to an 11.30pm arrival on 3rd  with an 11.00pm departure on 4th.  Is that incorrect now?

IMG_20230426_072238.thumb.jpg.9b3348067e2ac8823861950298d553da.jpg

My booking confirmation shows Wednesday 3rd as being a Sea Day and then Liverpool on Thursday 4th only (arrive early morning, depart evening). I hope that the timings on the letter you have posted are accurate and my booking confirmation isn’t, as I quite fancy an overnight in Liverpool. 

My booking confirmation shows Wednesday 3rd as being a Sea Day and then Liverpool on Thursday 4th only (arrive early morning, depart evening). I hope that the timings on the letter you have posted are accurate and my booking confirmation isn’t, as I quite fancy an overnight in Liverpool. 

I was assuming it was a seaday as we don't get there until 11.30pm.  As to when we can get off I'm not sure but if we aren't leaving until 11.00pm on 4th assumedly we can enjoy the light display etc. before sailing.  I've had late night arrivals with Cunard before and you can generally go ashore in a short while once secured. All onboard on 4th will assumedly be 10.30 or thereabouts - I'm notorious for being last back on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I was assuming it was a seaday as we don't get there until 11.30pm.  As to when we can get off I'm not sure but if we aren't leaving until 11.00pm on 4th assumedly we can enjoy the light display etc. before sailing.  I've had late night arrivals with Cunard before and you can generally go ashore in a short while once secured. All onboard on 4th will assumedly be 10.30 or thereabouts - I'm notorious for being last back on!

I thought the letter said 1130 am arrival but you are quite right it says 1130 pm, so the Wednesday would indeed be a sea day. I thought that was quick from Southampton to Liverpool 😂 

• Like 1

I thought the letter said 1130 am arrival but you are quite right it says 1130 pm, so the Wednesday would indeed be a sea day. I thought that was quick from Southampton to Liverpool 😂 

Great, that's one less thing to worry about, now just the Roaring Twenties v the Black & White night. I was all excited about my favourite dress and gloves, now I might be taking my flapper gear as well just in case.  

Next stop back to P&O to sort out my entertainment and dining for Arvia which open tomorrow. I'm trying to guess at what time. It's all getting very muddled, thank goodness Cunard don't have all this booking rigmarole onboard, getting a ticket for the planetarium will be a breeze compared with Arvia and Iona!

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Great, that's one less thing to worry about, now just the Roaring Twenties v the Black & White night. I was all excited about my favourite dress and gloves, now I might be taking my flapper gear as well just in case.  

Next stop back to P&O to sort out my entertainment and dining for Arvia which open tomorrow. I'm trying to guess at what time. It's all getting very muddled, thank goodness Cunard don't have all this booking rigmarole onboard, getting a ticket for the planetarium will be a breeze compared with Arvia and Iona!

The booking confirmation says just one formal night (the Coronation event on Friday evening). I was wondering if there might a formal night on the first sea day as well, but I guess not if we are arriving into Liverpool late that evening?

This will be our first Cunard cruise having only cruised P&O before. A couple of questions please;

Priority Boarding - We are Princess Grill and therefore have priority boarding. Do priority boarders have a dedicated place to go for lunch when they board (as happens on P&O) or is it just the buffet? Are any other places open for lunch on embarkation? Presume not the Princess Grill but what about the Golden Lion?

Entertainment - Do you have to pre-book theatre shows or planetarium (or anything else for that matter) or is it just a case of first come first served? If booking is required, is it via an app or equivalent? 

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The booking confirmation says just one formal night (the Coronation event on Friday evening). I was wondering if there might a formal night on the first sea day as well, but I guess not if we are arriving into Liverpool late that evening?

No, just the one formal from my itinerary.  We get the street party on Coronation Day, that will be interesting.  I assume the events will take place in the Queens Room.  It's supposed to be a Black & White Ball for the formal night.  Someone said the Roaring Twenties is left over from the cancelled T/A which makes sense as its normally very popular on those.

My booking confirmation says subject to change on a couple of days.  

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That is a shame, must admit we like overnights in all cities and have had some very enjoyable ones.  Particularly Amsterdam, Antwerp, Lisbon, Hamburg and Mumbai and Cochin, which we really enjoyed.  We have been overnight in each of those European ports at least twice and quite a few times in Amsterdam and Lisbon - mainly on Fred ships.  We have often realized though that we were about the only people spending any amount of time ashore at night, apart from the crew of course once their duties were finished and it was great to see them have the chance of a night off the ship.

Hope you enjoy the cruise though, especially my home city.

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Selbourne  As you are in Princess Grill you can head straight there for your lunch. Enjoy !! 🥂

Gosh. Thanks. I’m impressed that you can lunch in Princess Grill as soon as you board. What a nice start to the cruise. We have been told to arrive for check in at 1230pm. As there is no disembarkation from an incoming cruise the day we embark, do you think it’s worth us arriving earlier? I’m guessing that they are likely to commence boarding earlier than usual so as to avoid a build up of queues?

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Gosh. Thanks. I’m impressed that you can lunch in Princess Grill as soon as you board. What a nice start to the cruise. We have been told to arrive for check in at 1230pm. As there is no disembarkation from an incoming cruise the day we embark, do you think it’s worth us arriving earlier? I’m guessing that they are likely to commence boarding earlier than usual so as to avoid a build up of queues?

The Grills don’t usually open till 1, occasionally 1.30, on embarkation days, so you should have time to inspect your cabin first.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The Grills don’t usually open till 1, occasionally 1.30, on embarkation days, so you should have time to inspect your cabin first.

That’s useful to know. Many thanks. Two daft questions about Grills. Do they keep unfinished bottles of wine for you for the next day? P&O always used to do this but stopped it for some daft reason (although that may have just been during Covid). Secondly, I assume that tap water is plentifully supplied in the grills and they don’t try to fleece you for bottled water? 😂 

54 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

You'll be pleasantly surprised that unlike P&O your room will be ready immediately on boarding so you can go there first.  I will be arriving earlier too as that's the only time I can be dropped off at such short notice, so about noon for my 12.30 boarding.  Very rarely are their queues like we experience on the other side, unless of course the newbies decide not to follow their instructions.

• Thanks 1