Marella Dubrovnik luggage transfer

Hi - going on explorer 2 flying to Dubrovnik from Gatwick - does the luggage go straight to the ship from the plane and vice versa or do we have to collect it at Dubrovnik airport ?

I think this has been asked before but I can’t find the thread.

The standard email says the following:

CHECKING-IN YOUR LUGGAGE
To check in your bags in the UK you'll need to have printed and attached your Marella Cruises luggage tag from Cruise Control. Once at the airport, you need to check into your flight as normal. Once you've landed, collect your luggage and make your way through to the Arrivals Hall. A Marella Cruises Representative will meet you and direct you to your transfer coach. When you reach the port, your luggage will be taken straight to your cabin. 
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Prestonscotty said:

The standard email says the following:

CHECKING-IN YOUR LUGGAGE
To check in your bags in the UK you'll need to have printed and attached your Marella Cruises luggage tag from Cruise Control. Once at the airport, you need to check into your flight as normal. Once you've landed, collect your luggage and make your way through to the Arrivals Hall. A Marella Cruises Representative will meet you and direct you to your transfer coach. When you reach the port, your luggage will be taken straight to your cabin. 

Thanks prestonscotty -  I heard it was “bonded” at Dubrovnik so a possibility of luggage direct to ship - I believe some other cruise lines do this there.

Flew into Dubrovnik last august, after collecting luggage the passengers went on the coach and the luggage went in a van! At Dubrovnik port, all passengers got off coach, went through immigration again, back on coach for about one minute, then off again to check in. 

I think luggage was bonded on way home, can't remember, but do remember the queue of about 10/12 coaches all from the ship to do the port immigration thing again. You literally walk through a small building, get passport stamped, and back on bus. 

Dubrovnik airport coming home had the longest queue for security that I had ever seen, hopefully just last year's problem. Airport was rammed. 

Edited by Pink15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pink15 said:

Flew into Dubrovnik last august, after collecting luggage the passengers went on the coach and the luggage went in a van! At Dubrovnik port, all passengers got off coach, went through immigration again, back on coach for about one minute, then off again to check in. 

I think luggage was bonded on way home, can't remember, but do remember the queue of about 10/12 coaches all from the ship to do the port immigration thing again. You literally walk through a small building, get passport stamped, and back on bus. 

Dubrovnik airport coming home had the longest queue for security that I had ever seen, hopefully just last year's problem. Airport was rammed. 

Thanks Pink15.

From the TUI airways online site.

Bonded luggage
If your cruise is sailing from the Caribbean or Dubrovnik, your luggage will be transported from the airport to the ship as part of our bonded luggage service. If this applies to you, it’ll be noted in your booking confirmation – it’s important to check, as it’s only available at certain times. You’ll receive a luggage label 14 days before you travel, which you’ll need to secure to your luggage. Once you’ve checked in, it’ll be security sealed and transported for you – you won’t need to collect it at the airport, as it’ll be delivered straight to your cabin.

The last time that we cruised from Dubrovnic this was the case.

Edited by Brummijam
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

From the TUI airways online site.

Bonded luggage
If your cruise is sailing from the Caribbean or Dubrovnik, your luggage will be transported from the airport to the ship as part of our bonded luggage service. If this applies to you, it’ll be noted in your booking confirmation – it’s important to check, as it’s only available at certain times. You’ll receive a luggage label 14 days before you travel, which you’ll need to secure to your luggage. Once you’ve checked in, it’ll be security sealed and transported for you – you won’t need to collect it at the airport, as it’ll be delivered straight to your cabin.

The last time that we cruised from Dubrovnic this was the case.

Thanks Brummijam - I thought I had seen it mentioned somewhere - didn’t think to check the TUI airways site - although others here say it doesn’t t always happen.

Re this bit - “If this applies to you, it’ll be noted in your booking confirmation”

where in the booking confirmation does it show if this bonded transfer is applicable to the specify cruise ? 

update - just found this on my booking blurb:

CHECKING-IN YOUR LUGGAGE
To check in your bags in the UK you'll need to have printed and attached your Marella Cruises luggage tag from Cruise Control. Once at the airport, check into your flight as normal and we'll security seal your bag. Upon arrival in your destination, there's no need to collect your bags when you land as they’ll be sent straight to the ship - just make your way through to the arrivals hall where a Marella Cruises Representative will meet you and direct you to your transfer coach. There might be a short delay in your cases being delivered to your cabin when you board the ship, so pop any essentials into your hand luggage before you leave the UK. Please have your cruise boarding pass printed and ready for inspection - you'll need this to complete check-in and board the ship for the first time. Once onboard, you can swap your cruise boarding pass for your onboard account cards which will be waiting for you outside your cabin.
Would self service checkin work ok!?
Edited by paulatsea

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks Brummijam - I thought I had seen it mentioned somewhere - didn’t think to check the TUI airways site - although others here say it doesn’t t always happen.

Re this bit - “If this applies to you, it’ll be noted in your booking confirmation”

where in the booking confirmation does it show if this bonded transfer is applicable to the specify cruise ? 

update - just found this on my booking blurb:

CHECKING-IN YOUR LUGGAGE
To check in your bags in the UK you'll need to have printed and attached your Marella Cruises luggage tag from Cruise Control. Once at the airport, check into your flight as normal and we'll security seal your bag. Upon arrival in your destination, there's no need to collect your bags when you land as they’ll be sent straight to the ship - just make your way through to the arrivals hall where a Marella Cruises Representative will meet you and direct you to your transfer coach. There might be a short delay in your cases being delivered to your cabin when you board the ship, so pop any essentials into your hand luggage before you leave the UK. Please have your cruise boarding pass printed and ready for inspection - you'll need this to complete check-in and board the ship for the first time. Once onboard, you can swap your cruise boarding pass for your onboard account cards which will be waiting for you outside your cabin.
Would self service checkin work ok!?

Was just about to post that for you,it was towards the bottom of the booking confirmation email .😉

Edited by Brummijam
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Was just about to post that for you,it was towards the bottom of the booking confirmation email .😉

Brummijam - did you use the self service bag drop on the flight out or the staffed checkin ?

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Brummijam - did you use the self service bag drop on the flight out or the staffed checkin

Hi Paul.

We used the staffed check in, Self service bag drop wasn’t available in 2017 at Birmingham Airport.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brummijam said:
13 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Brummijam - did you use the self service bag drop on the flight out or the staffed checkin

Hi Paul.

We used the staffed check in, Self service bag drop wasn’t available in 2017 at Birmingham Airport.

Thanks Brummijam - I’ll update this when I get back - for anyone who is interested ! 

Just now, Brummijam said:

When is your trip?

Fly out 0600 LGW 11 May - 2 weeks to go !

Haven’t flown for years - usually just go from Southampton - generally hate airports and queues and cramped planes but this feels like a novelty again. 
It’s the sail 3 seas itinerary which looks brilliant.

14 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Fly out 0600 LGW 11 May - 2 weeks to go !

Haven’t flown for years - usually just go from Southampton - generally hate airports and queues and cramped planes but this feels like a novelty again. 
It’s the sail 3 seas itinerary which looks brilliant.

I feel your pain regarding airports.🫣

Eastern Europe is my favourite part of the world, hoping you have a great trip.😉

4 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

I feel your pain regarding airports.🫣

Eastern Europe is my favourite part of the world, hoping you have a great trip.😉

Thanks very much - ditto re EE. It’s civilised interesting and beautiful isn’t it. 
👍

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - We had to collect our luggage at Dubrovnik airport (very slow) and then take it to a truck to transfer to the ship.

Going home the luggage goes straight to the aircraft from outside the cabin.

Luggage labels and boarding passes are delivered to the cabin.

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

FYI - We had to collect our luggage at Dubrovnik airport (very slow) and then take it to a truck to transfer to the ship.

Going home the luggage goes straight to the aircraft from outside the cabin.

Luggage labels and boarding passes are delivered to the cabin.

Thanks for letting us know. Although we usually like to slip last minute bits in the case before leaving but won't be able to do this. Hope you enjoyed your cruise 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:53 PM, dronnygirl said:

Thanks for letting us know. Although we usually like to slip last minute bits in the case before leaving but won't be able to do this. Hope you enjoyed your cruise 

It was great -  thanks - very rainy first few days then it got much better. Nice cruise.