Apex April TransAtlantic Weather

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Mcgeneseo said:

@Jim_Iain, in your experience, which is a smoother crossing, fall or spring? I know it's up to Mother Nature, but I want to do a TA and I don't do well with rough seas.

One never knows which will be smoother 

I would book on itinerary, also do you want to explore ports before or after seadays 

do you want to gain a hour a day or lose a hour a day 

14 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I have a friend on the Westerdam on the Transpacific which left April 24 from Japan heading to Kodiak, Alaska. They are having storms every day, gusts of 80km per hr and she said 40’ waves. Very wild ride for those passengers.

That would get your attention.  It is always a good reminder to those that are considering a TA or TP that every cruise is different ans some are like a roller coaster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mcgeneseo said:

@Jim_Iain, in your experience, which is a smoother crossing, fall or spring? I know it's up to Mother Nature, but I want to do a TA and I don't do well with rough seas.

Honestly it is at the luck of the draw.     Pre-Covid when we hit Zenith-  It was worse than this and had to go South of the Azores to escape the worse of it.   Put us into Boston a day late, Cancelled Bahamas  all ports shifted 1 day.   Many had tickets for Hamilton in NY and the day we were there the theaters were dark.

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One never knows which will be smoother 

I would book on itinerary, also do you want to explore ports before or after seadays 

do you want to gain a hour a day or lose a hour a day 

You guys look like are having a wonderful cruise.   How's the temperatures as you approach the Canaries.   Was your the ship that had to skip Azores and to to Madeira instead?    If so I wouldn't have complained... Loved Madeira.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

You guys look like are having a wonderful cruise.   How's the temperatures as you approach the Canaries.   Was your the ship that had to skip Azores and to to Madeira instead?    If so I wouldn't have complained... Loved Madeira.

We going to Cadiz, get there in 2 days , no stops in Azores or Madeira 

a little overcast this morning 

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.894201c42a7ff05443b1f3171bf1cef1.jpeg
IMG_3186.thumb.png.2a980d1dadea6e106617464bb7201424.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess there's a reason Captain Nikolaos had all our furniture tied down for the past 4 days.

Ours was also tied down

i wonder if it was the difference of RCCL ( multiple ships ) providing better information to the captains than Virgin ( one ship) was able to provide to their captain 

On 5/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Fly and Sail said:

After following your detailed thread closely, I've come to the conclusion that Atlantic/Pacific crossings aren't my cup of tea. 🙂

We've done 9 TA's and the weather was great for all but this one, so never say never.  This one was tough but we still had a great time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

We've done 9 TA's and the weather was great for all but this one, so never say never.  This one was tough but we still had a great time. 

I agree 
Where in the world can you  be guaranteed great weather 

I be more worried about taking a fall colour cruise as the weather on the east coast can be all over the place 

• Like 1