Historic Steamship Sudan On The Nile - Have you sailed on her?

Smokeyham

Samantha Brown (PBS) did a show on Egypt several years ago.  She sailed on the Sudan and had a lot of good things to say about the experience.

Yes, it did look fascinating; very old-school, in the Agatha Christie manner.

In 2019 we sailed past her as she was docked in Luxor, but we were on Uniworld.

4 hours ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

Samantha Brown (PBS) did a show on Egypt several years ago.  She sailed on the Sudan and had a lot of good things to say about the experience.

Yes, it did look fascinating; very old-school, in the Agatha Christie manner.

In 2019 we sailed past her as she was docked in Luxor, but we were on Uniworld.

Thanks..... I will see if I can find that episode.  I looked on the six seasons of her show that are available on PBS "Passport" but did not see it there.

It does look amazing.

Abject apologies!  It was a different young woman traveler and my brain evidently morphed her into Samantha Brown.  Unfortunately, now I cannot remember the name of the show or the host.

However, I will be in Egypt again next month.  I will keep an eye out for the Sudan and if I pick up any worthwhile firsthand information, I will certainly post it here for you.

22 hours ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

Abject apologies!  It was a different young woman traveler and my brain evidently morphed her into Samantha Brown.  Unfortunately, now I cannot remember the name of the show or the host.

However, I will be in Egypt again next month.  I will keep an eye out for the Sudan and if I pick up any worthwhile firsthand information, I will certainly post it here for you.

Thanks so much.  I appreciate it and hope you have a great time in Egypt!

On 4/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, Smokeyham said:

Just ran across a website for the historic Steamship Sudan.  It looks fascinating.  I also found one review on TripAdvisor.  

Has anyone taken a cruise on this ship?

I've long had my eye on it -- in fact, their site is in my favorites list. I would love to do a cruise on it if/when I return to Egypt. After 5 visits there in the 2000's, I didn't feel the tug to return for a while, but now I think I will plan something -- once the new Egyptian museum is finally and fully open.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've long had my eye on it -- in fact, their site is in my favorites list. I would love to do a cruise on it if/when I return to Egypt. After 5 visits there in the 2000's, I didn't feel the tug to return for a while, but now I think I will plan something -- once the new Egyptian museum is finally and fully open.

It does look beautiful! I hope you have a chance to sail on her.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tracked down the correct information.  The show was part of the British television show Globe Trekker. It was broadcast by PBS in the U.S.

They had a series called “Tough Boats of the World”.  One of the shows took place in Egypt and was hosted by a young woman named Holly Morris.  The original broadcast took place on May 7, 2017.

Holly started her Nile cruise by sleeping on the deck of a felucca and living out of her backpack.  Then she transferred to the Sudan, where everything was beautiful and luxurious, and she was seriously underdressed!