Anyone on Mariner recently?

symphony

7 hours ago, marycruz said:

Was there no seating in the Mariner Lounge or was there just no drinks or music?

Interested to know which PH you were in since we have one in upcoming cruise and one person stated that their PH suite had alot of issues but did not state which one.

There was seating.  There was no entertainer/pianist.  There was no lounge music anywhere on the ship.

Our stateroom was 923. It was very tired and needed an update.

7 hours ago, Eno-Bob said:

We spent a month on Mariner last Dec into Jan and had no problems at all -- loved every minute!  It was absolutely 5 Star for us.  We're boarding Mariner again on Sep 3 for 28 nights and absolutely looking forward to it. 

Thanks.  We'll be on the ship during the same time.  Probably see you on board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

There was seating.  There was no entertainer/pianist.  There was no lounge music anywhere on the ship.

Our stateroom was 923. It was very tired and needed an update.

Thanks for responding.  I wonder why there was no music.   Last time we went on Mariner they had music in the lounge every night.  I guess al lot  has changed since COVID.

23 hours ago, marycruz said:

Thanks for responding.  I wonder why there was no music.   Last time we went on Mariner they had music in the lounge every night.  I guess al lot  has changed since COVID.

We were on the Mariner two weeks ago.  Our experience was excellent.  The food, service, and physical condition of the ship were top notch, far superior to SB and SS which we also sailed recently.  The ship's "orchestra" and duo were very talented and accommodating as to requests.  There was a piano player in one lounge or another every evening.  We would not hesitate to sail on the Mariner again.  I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

We were on the Mariner two weeks ago.  Our experience was excellent.  The food, service, and physical condition of the ship were top notch, far superior to SB and SS which we also sailed recently.  The ship's "orchestra" and duo were very talented and accommodating as to requests.  There was a piano player in one lounge or another every evening.  We would not hesitate to sail on the Mariner again.  I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks.   The only question I would have pertains to the first night on board.  How strict are they on the dress code the night of embarkation?   if you haven't unpacked can you wear jeans if you wore them to the ship?

12 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Thanks.   The only question I would have pertains to the first night on board.  How strict are they on the dress code the night of embarkation?   if you haven't unpacked can you wear jeans if you wore them to the ship?

The dress code on embarkation day is the same as the other days. The only casual night is the night before disembarkation. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:32 AM, marycruz said:

The bags were at the Cabin at about 2:00 pm so there was no problem having access to clothes.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:49 AM, 1teach53 said:

This is the same experience we had earlier this year. Plus toilet that didn’t flush & flooding from bathroom into the walk in closet. Not 5 star!!

Geez. Yesterday Marie and I booked the NYC-Miami 10/31 trip after I did some hunting for deals out of the Big Apple. I'm kind of bummed to hear this ship is in this condition, and some of the comments about the food and service upsetting to read. Should I jettison my reservation? (I think I can still back out.)

We did a fall RT out of NYC in 2017 on the Navigator and thought the whole thing was great.

1 hour ago, olindacat said:

Geez. Yesterday Marie and I booked the NYC-Miami 10/31 trip after I did some hunting for deals out of the Big Apple. I'm kind of bummed to hear this ship is in this condition, and some of the comments about the food and service upsetting to read. Should I jettison my reservation? (I think I can still back out.)

We did a fall RT out of NYC in 2017 on the Navigator and thought the whole thing was great.

Well, we are hoping for the best. We are on 10/31 cruise.  We enjoyed Mariner May 2022 in Alaska. 

3 hours ago, olindacat said:

I don’t usually inspect the furniture when I get into my suite but I probably will when we board in Montreal on October 20th. Whatever I see I don’t expect it to ruin my time unless it looks like a hillbilly crime scene. 

I haven’t seen any recent reviews of food or service on Mariner, and any such commentary from 2022 or early this year are simply too old to be meaningful. Regent has historically been very proactive addressing service issues. Even if there were complaints about the current cruise out of Venice I would expect any service issues to be a thing of the past by October. 

We board Mariner a week from today and I’m not worried. I fully expect to have a wonderful cruise enjoying the hallmarks of a Regent cruise… amazing service, delicious food, and interesting ports and sea days. We were on Splendor earlier this year and I get it that Mariner isn’t going to be as shiny and doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles but that won’t reduce my enjoyment. Each ship has its own character which we enjoy. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, puppyluv1 said:

We board Mariner a week from today and I’m not worried. I fully expect to have a wonderful cruise enjoying the hallmarks of a Regent cruise… amazing service, delicious food, and interesting ports and sea days. We were on Splendor earlier this year and I get it that Mariner isn’t going to be as shiny and doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles but that won’t reduce my enjoyment. Each ship has its own character which we enjoy. 

I actually like the older ships better than Explorer…haven’t been on Splendor yet.  However, I book by itinerary. 

We are onboard since Venice. We find the staff/ crew to be very service oriented as well as personable. The lounges are clean and comfortable w. pretty floral arrangements. Our PH is well appointed and in generally decent condition but the sofa has arms unpleasantly worn/ stained, not consistent w. luxury, five stars star bragging. We think that there has been a decline in the cuisine. The menu reads 5 star but not the product. For example, we had an unchewable rib eye steak, soups are very salty,  soufflés have thick crusts! ..french fries are never hot, etc. I had sauteed grouper that came out as firm as a hockey puck : I know  , hard to imagine.

Most lounges have music until 7:15 pre dinner and after the show/ Mariner Lounge seems short changed here. . There is an entertaining duo in Stars . One cast show was impressive ( Divos, Divas) and one depressing .(Tuxedo). Not a lover of magic, I do not hesitate to say that this magician was marvelous. He is the only headliner to date and tonite is a movie. Horizon Lounge has been offering some dance music after the show

These are our experiences and opinions and may differ from yours .

2 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I wish Regent would stop building new ships and spend some of that money on the ones they have. 

We agree. The Mariner is the best all around ship  in the fleet for comfort especially in the public areas. We find the regular suites very comfortable even if the smallest of all the ships except G&H’s on the newest ships and the G aft on the Splendor was very good, but the Splendor as a whole is to big, it has lost that special feel and is more impersonal with all the shinnyness…JMO.

Have not sailed on the Voyager, but the Navigator is wonderful….service and food great And her small size is perfect.

The Mariner has great longer itineraries which we love. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, olindacat said:

See post #30 above.  Keep in mind that this website is called "Cruise Critic" not "Cruise Enthusiast" so, by definition, many posts are critical.  Also, think about the number of people who have sailed on the Mariner in the past 6 months compared to the number of people posting negative reviews.

• Like 1

Our experience does not suggest that Mariner is in poor condition. In my note I tried to address recent posts hence the sofa observations. We like our PH.
I do agree that it would be good if Regent dedicated itself to its current ships and returned to the old beloved R.

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, Eno-Bob said:

We spent a month on Mariner last Dec into Jan and had no problems at all -- loved every minute!  It was absolutely 5 Star for us.  We're boarding Mariner again on Sep 3 for 28 nights and absolutely looking forward to it. 

Hi.  How was September trip on the Mariner?  We are thinking about October but I have seen many concerns about toilet issues causes terrible smells.   Love to hear your experience

We were on Mariner last October. Our toilet flushed every time. I don’t recall any aroma issues. 

Not everyone was so lucky. We saw crew working on clearing drains and some wet vacs and drying fans. We’re booked on Mariner again next year just before the dry dock. 

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

We were on Mariner last October. Our toilet flushed every time. I don’t recall any aroma issues. 

Not everyone was so lucky. We saw crew working on clearing drains and some wet vacs and drying fans. We’re booked on Mariner again next year just before the dry dock. 

That was probably us.   Suites were flooded and ours was the worst.  No toilet problems at all but a pipe broke in the hallway and 4-5 suites were affected.   Our entire suite was flooded, all the way up to the verandah door.   Was woken up at 5 AM by the noise in the hallway and stepped into more than an inch of water.   Luggage under the bed was soaked along with anything on the closet floor.   

I have to commend the staff on Mariner.   They were right there with the vacs and ripped up all the carpet in the suite.  They had to take out all of the furniture and we were moved 2 different times but moved back into the suite and had a brand new carpet which was nice.   BTW this was the second leg on a B2B cruise to New England/Canada.

The other good part was we had a great shower and toilet.  No problems in our suite.