NCL Prices have gotten out of hand!!!

expectthebest

On 4/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, expectthebest said:

Hello Cruisers,

It’s been 3 1/2 years since we last cruised on NCL.. and boy have these prices gone sky high!! I know all things must go up in price… but a club balcony out of San Juan next March for $8100 for my wife and I along with our 2 children…is insane… it’s not even a suite or the “Haven” then we add airfare out of Philly and it tops out at just over 11k…. Not a typo… $11,000 Dollars… was hoping to book a club balcony and then upgrade  to the Haven with a little luck.. but now.. I think this cruise is off the table… Am I the only one who thinks these prices have made cruising out of reach for most families??

Thanks for listening,

I share the sentiments in your initial post. Since I first began cruising many years ago, it seems to me that NCL's rates have risen disproportionately.  However, that seems to have been an intentional decision based on both practical need and marketing for, if I am correctly recalling, when Frank Del Rio took over from Kevin Sheehan several years ago, one of his first pronouncements was in regard to his intention to raise base prices on NCL. His stated rationale for doing so was two-fold: (1) the obvious goal of generating more revenue and (2) he implied that low pricing sends a message...pricing something at a discount rate suggests it's a "bargain basement" line and he wanted to nullify any such perception that NCL was in the same class as some other cruise lines.

At the risk of repeating what others have noted, we've found ways to sail NCL, or any line, without breaking the bank but it always comes down to personal choice in class, cabin, amenities, etc.  Also, if one has flexibility in timing and  itinerary, I've noticed that the rates for some NCL cruises tend to drop significantly a few weeks prior to the sailing date. Of course, others rise so waiting is always a bit of a mystery and gamble.

In reading through this thread, I was a bit surprised (although I probably should not have been!) by the condescension and snarkiness of some posts.  Is that a reflection of our current socio-political divide where ad hominens instead of polite discourse seems to have become the norm or is CC inevitably heading the way of other social media?  CC still remains a tremendous resource where those less experienced in cruising can pose questions that may seem obvious to the more seasoned cruisers and where even those of us who've cruised numerous times can seek guidance and information. It would be a shame to regress to the level of some other social media site where one must expect to be mocked or ridiculed for asking a question...

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I had the same issue.  I had Prima booked for March 2024.  NCL told my TA that they wouldn't allow us to take advantage of the military discount.  We cancelled Prima March and rebooked Prima Feb 2024.  The discount was applied to that cruise.   We choose Feb because TA had a promo for that cruise that included paid DSC.  

Late I booked another cruise for 2025 and the discount was applied.

Well, I will likely do the same re-booking. Seems silly to have me, my TA and NCL to all go through the hassle of canceling then re-booking, but for 10% it is worth it.

5 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Well, I will likely do the same re-booking. Seems silly to have me, my TA and NCL to all go through the hassle of canceling then re-booking, but for 10% it is worth it.

You may run into an issue.  NCL wouldn't allow a cance/rebook on the same cruise when we tried to apply the military discount.  Be prepared to choose a different date.  

On 4/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, expectthebest said:

Hello Cruisers,

It’s been 3 1/2 years since we last cruised on NCL.. and boy have these prices gone sky high!! I know all things must go up in price… but a club balcony out of San Juan next March for $8100 for my wife and I along with our 2 children…is insane… it’s not even a suite or the “Haven” then we add airfare out of Philly and it tops out at just over 11k…. Not a typo… $11,000 Dollars… was hoping to book a club balcony and then upgrade  to the Haven with a little luck.. but now.. I think this cruise is off the table… Am I the only one who thinks these prices have made cruising out of reach for most families??

Thanks for listening,

You do realize that in a free market system the buyer sets the price.  If you do not like the price something is being offered for, do not buy it.  It is a simple concept.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may run into an issue.  NCL wouldn't allow a cance/rebook on the same cruise when we tried to apply the military discount.  Be prepared to choose a different date.  

Not a problem. There are other dates that would work fine for us.

Doug

• Like 1