Antarctica Holiday Voyage

mumcat

Good morning, we are currently considering the 20 day cruise Antarctica Holiday Voyage in December. It begins in Buenos Aries and ends in Rio. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this itinerary or something similar. The itinerary includes 3 days in the Antarctic Sound. From what I  have read, at the time of year, there should be a lot of marine life sightings, specifically whales which is my main interest. My previous attempts in whale watching have been disasters - specifically South Africa, Greenland , Canaries - each times for the best whale sighting opportunities but I have yet to spot anything but the far distant spout!  

I've done that voyage. The scenery is spectacular, but of course it's a drive by. We saw some penguins, but I don't recall much whale activity near us. I've never had much luck whale spotting. Tried it in Hawaii and the same result. Very little action to see. But the Antarctica cruise was very special. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the Antarctic cruise a few years ago and agree that it is spectacular.

However we had better Whale sightings in Alaska and New Zealand.

The best ever was on a Whale watching trip off the coast of New England in the Spring, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the moment the Roll Call for this particular cruise is very quiet! But hoping more may join us, so please do and connect on the roll call!

We have not done this trip before but have seen whales on cruises to Alaska and Hawaii. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We are on the preceding cruise, and are staying on in Rio for new year followed by a trip to Iguazu Falls.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate that the scenery in the Antarctic Sound will be wonderful but I'm a little concerned that 3 days sailing may be a bit boring?  Last year we sailed from Northern Ireland to Greenland which was a 3 day sail and saw absolutely nothing at all so by the end of the 3rd day we were ready to get off the ship. Unfortunately thanks to  fog and icebergs we could not get into port and had another sea day. - with nothing to see!