Civitavecchia

LondonLad60

My wife and I will be on SoD's Classical Italy and the Western Mediterranean cruise departing June 4th. What I would like to ask is, has anyone actually spent time in Civitavecchia rather than heading for Rome? Looking online it seems that there are some interesting sights to see, but are there any bars/cafes/trattorias for a leisurely glass of wine and a pizza or pasta? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

45 minutes ago, LondonLad60 said:

My wife and I will be on SoD's Classical Italy and the Western Mediterranean cruise departing June 4th. What I would like to ask is, has anyone actually spent time in Civitavecchia rather than heading for Rome? Looking online it seems that there are some interesting sights to see, but are there any bars/cafes/trattorias for a leisurely glass of wine and a pizza or pasta? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Solent Richard blog on one trip spends a day in civtavecchia itself. 

There is not a great deal to see in Civitavecchia in terms of formal sights, but it is a perfectly fine little port in which to spend a couple of hours. There is a market and sometimes additional market stalls in the promenade, plus the usual small shops, cafes and bars.

We were stuck there in 2018 because storms cancelled our stop in Naples.  We did not find anything exciting to do.   If you are stopping in Civi and don’t want to go into Rome I would recommend Tarquinia as a nice low-key day out.  

Having looked online for places nearby and having seen lots of train passengers clearly on the way to the beach, you might find more of interest taking the short train ride to Santa Marinella.  I wish that we had thought about there when the storms scuppered the Amalfi drive for us.  

Civitavecchia has not much to offer, there are shops in the center, and a nice promenade. But if you are looking for something really interesting, you might consider The Etruscan Necropolis of Monterozzi, located on a hill east of Tarquinia, which ollienbertsmum  has already recommended to you. And, The Etruscan Necropolis of Banditaccia, located on a hill north of Cerveteri and is undoubtedly one of the most interesting archaeological sites to visit and has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

The Necropolis of Banditaccia is by far the most extensive ancient necropolis of the entire Mediterranean area. Very beautiful is also the National Archaeological Museum of Cerveteri, with authentic masterpieces of Etruscan art.

• 2 weeks later...