Booking without flight option?

On 4/26/2023 at 12:32 PM, Lonedaddy said:

I would book the air upfront you can always have it removed if you find something better - if you add it later it might go up.  

Our TA always does it in reverse--books us on cruise only, and then we can add the air later if we wish.  It makes the deposit a bit smaller that way.

We have used Regent Air, and have rolled our own.  By all means use points or miles if you have lots and you can find the flights you need.  Always deviate and fly in the day before the cruise.

The times we have used Regent Air is when we could not find a Business fare comparable to what they could offer (deviation fees included)--they can often do much better than paying those fares.  But if I have the points, I will use them.

Is it possible to decline the pre-cruise air but use Regent Air post-cruise? A test booking on the website doesn't offer that option, but I thought I remembered reading that it was possible. We're pricing out a trans-Atlantic cruise and just need BC coming back home.

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Our TA always does it in reverse--books us on cruise only, and then we can add the air later if we wish.  It makes the deposit a bit smaller that way.

We have used Regent Air, and have rolled our own.  By all means use points or miles if you have lots and you can find the flights you need.  Always deviate and fly in the day before the cruise.

The times we have used Regent Air is when we could not find a Business fare comparable to what they could offer (deviation fees included)--they can often do much better than paying those fares.  But if I have the points, I will use them.

Thank you. That makes sense. It might be difficult in todays astronomical airfares to know whether the airlines will back off pricing and miles requirements next year, or if Regent will increase for next year. We have miles, but it took so many for this upcoming trip that if that keeps up, they won’t be there as long as I had hoped and planned. 
I like that there is the option to choose to book with air, or to add air later even though it’s a crapshoot. 

Vineyard:  Would not expect any diminution in FF mile requirement or basic fares for the rest of '23 and into '24.  Particularly as to international flights to, and from, Asia. Simply a matter of supply and demand. 

Example:  United recently increased FFs by 25,000 miles per passenger for Polaris Class seats from Japan back to the USA.  Fortunately, we booked ours eight months ago at a lower rate for this October's return from Tokyo. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Is it possible to decline the pre-cruise air but use Regent Air post-cruise? A test booking on the website doesn't offer that option, but I thought I remembered reading that it was possible. We're pricing out a trans-Atlantic cruise and just need BC coming back home.

ABSOLUTELY.  We haver done this on both our cruises.  Since our flights to the cruises would be domestic (Honolulu and Montreal) but our return International (Sydney and London) and we deviated both directions, I was able to book First Class domestic for not all that much more than coach once all the fees and the air credit was factored in.  

Anyway, no problem at all only using Regent air in one direction.  You get the appropriate air credit for the city pairing you don't fly.

9 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Vineyard:  Would not expect any diminution in FF mile requirement or basic fares for the rest of '23 and into '24.  Particularly as to international flights to, and from, Asia. Simply a matter of supply and demand. 

Example:  United recently increased FFs by 25,000 miles per passenger for Polaris Class seats from Japan back to the USA.  Fortunately, we booked ours eight months ago at a lower rate for this October's return from Tokyo. 

GOARMY!

Unfortunately, I do not doubt that you are absolutely correct. We can wish all we want to, but Europe and other places in our world are seeing explosions of travel so yes, economics 101A. That is one of the key reasons we are taking an itinerary next month that is more ‘off the beaten path’ - in hopes that excessive crowds will be at the major ports of which we have been to a lot. That may also be wishful thinking, but it will be great to travel again. Regent certainly has my attention with a couple itineraries next April so I appreciate all this information. 

Edited by Vineyard View