Adapter needed?

Vineyard View

Thank you for the link. I saw that warning about public chargers recently as wall. 
Will have adapters and have ordered a charger as well as multi ‘prong’ on a single cable to try prior to sailing. I want to see how efficient it will be prior to sailing. As Nancy posted, of you have recommendations I am sure open to them. 

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but on the Quest (so probably also the Sojourn) there is a regular US outlet at the bottom of the cabinet next to the table next to the wall.  That allows plugging in a laptop if using at the table.  It took us awhile to notice it since it is sort of hidden.  The only other outlet is at the mirror/shelf next to the bathroom.  You have to be careful bringing extension cords, etc. since it is important that they not be surge protected.  As long as they are not and are UL listed you should be fine bringing onboard.

The outlet by the table has very little clearance so any cord that goes down or to the side of the plug will not work due to the close quarters. 

Edited by mcmarya

On 4/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, nancygp said:

which “good chargers” do you recommend?

I'm a fan of Anker products.  Both chargers and cables - top quality and extremely reliable.  Cables are another place where you don't want to skimp.  Back in the days of very low power charging, the cable quality didn't really matter.  Now, with higher draws, the quality of the cable matters.  Be sure to note what the power rating on the cable is, so you use the right cable for the right device.

Important question to start with is:  What am I charging now and what may I be charging in the near future.  If only tablets and phones, you can get away with a lower-powered charger.  If you want to juice a laptop, that will require a more powerful model.

In that realm, I have a HyperJuice 100w charger than can fully power my laptop and phone together.  It's pricey, but when you need power, it has it.  But that's overkill unless you want something to do laptops and devices.  (Be sure to determine what the requirements are for your computer.  Or, just stick with the original charger that came with the laptop).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mcmarya said:

...The outlet by the table has very little clearance so any cord that goes down or to the side of the plug will not work due to the close quarters. 

Encore comment - my curling iron has a GFI socket with cord out the bottom.  Plug-ins near the mirrors (vanity and full length) didn't have the clearance needed so that item stayed in the suitcase.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:00 AM, FlyerTalker said:

I'm a fan of Anker products.  Both chargers and cables - top quality and extremely reliable.  Cables are another place where you don't want to skimp.  Back in the days of very low power charging, the cable quality didn't really matter.  Now, with higher draws, the quality of the cable matters.  Be sure to note what the power rating on the cable is, so you use the right cable for the right device.

What a great post, also a fan of Anker products in terms of quality and reliability.

I’ll add that less techie minded folks might look for the term “GaN” when looking for a high power charger.  I won’t go into what GaN is just say it’s the latest semiconductor technology for high power handling.  

Newer IPhones and iPads charge very quickly using such technology, presumably the same is true for latest Android devices though I’m not expert there.  As suggested elsewhere, pay attention to which socket you use for what, most GaN chargers have one port that delivers max power, plus 3 or 4 lower power sockets.  Also, maximum power is divided over the number of sockets in use, so if you’re trying to get a quick charge of your phone, have it be the only thing plugged into the max socket (for example).

• Like 1

We will not really need fast charging as we will mostly use it at night. I found a multi device use on one cable on Amazon  that will charge 1 A, 2 C, and IWatch at one time. It is not fast charge, but I am going to test it out ahead to see how it does. The brand is Top-up.  I am hoping I can attach that to the Anker charger, attached to the adapter, and eliminate bringing multiple cables. ‘

Does this make sense and has anyone done this? 

Edited by Vineyard View

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We will not really need fast charging as we will mostly use it at night. I found a multi device use on one cable on Amazon  that will charge 1 A, 2 C, and IWatch at one time. It is not fast charge, but I am going to test it out ahead to see how it does. The brand is Top-up.  I am hoping I can attach that to the Anker charger, attached to the adapter, and eliminate bringing multiple cables. ‘

Those "multi" cables are generally junk.  I tried one once, putting on an Apple and an Android device on the same charger port.  Things slowed to a crawl.

"Top-Up".  Another no-name, interchangeable name Chinese retailer who just takes generic products and slaps a label on it.  Try to find a review for the "Top-Up" brand anywhere else but on Amazon.

Look...a cable weighs two or three ounces, if that.  Take the multiple cables.  It never hurts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Those "multi" cables are generally junk.  I tried one once, putting on an Apple and an Android device on the same charger port.  Things slowed to a crawl.

"Top-Up".  Another no-name, interchangeable name Chinese retailer who just takes generic products and slaps a label on it.  Try to find a review for the "Top-Up" brand anywhere else but on Amazon.

Look...a cable weighs two or three ounces, if that.  Take the multiple cables.  It never hurts.

I know that with all probability you are absolutely correct. I was just hoping. Ha! And trying not to take 5 cables with us! 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:06 PM, cruiseej said:

@Vineyard View I suggest you take a multi-outlet adapter, which can either be part of or in addition to an extension cord. I seem to recall that last time we were on Quest, I plugged in an extension cord across the room and ran it across to near the bed for my wife's CPAP machine. It could be a simple, under-$10 extension cord like this or and under-$20 one which has USB ports as well as power ports like this.  

image.thumb.png.fb29bc589ff661211c146788e99ea205.pngimage.thumb.png.41c31d760c8144df8ed4da8904cf5492.png

We have used the Anker cube in the past, but just replaced them with the newer Anker power strip. The cube's pictures don't really show its size, and the cube is larger than we expected. Here's the link to the power strip. This strip has 2 US style outlets, 2 USB-A outlets and 1 USB-C outlet and does not require you to turn it on to use it as the original cube does.

One thing to be aware of is this product (and the cube) use a 3-prong plug, so it you are intending to use it in a non-US outlet, you need to have an adapter which supports 3 prongs.

51ZNXY5JARL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. Our issue with our Anker (and many other options) is that they support more USB-A rather than multiple C, and we have greater need for USB C. 
‘it sounds like if we have a couple two prong adaptors, both for our hotel prior to, and for Quest, we should be okay with charging both Cpap and Phones/etc that we have at home. It just will require more cables than I had hoped. I queried the hotel and they confirmed TypeF. Obviously that will vary based on where one is staying off ship. 

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for sharing this. Our issue with our Anker (and many other options) is that they support more USB-A rather than multiple C, and we have greater need for USB C. 
‘it sounds like if we have a couple two prong adaptors, both for our hotel prior to, and for Quest, we should be okay with charging both Cpap and Phones/etc that we have at home. It just will require more cables than I had hoped. I queried the hotel and they confirmed TypeF. Obviously that will vary based on where one is staying off ship. 

I use the USB-C for an Apple MagSafe charger which I charge my iPhone with. The two USB-A slots have an Apple Watch charger and a USB-A to Lightning cable (for my iPad). I plug my CPAP machine into one of the 3-pronged outlets. I’m not particularly concerned about the charging speeds, since most of my charging is done overnight. My wife has her own power strip for her iPhone, iPad, and Kindle. Her USB-C slot has a USB-C to Lightning cable. These worked really well for our recent cruise on Cunard as well as our pre-cruise stay in Singapore. We are particular with our cables. They are either Apple or Anker cables. I really like the Anker nylon braided cables. 

1 hour ago, shellbeachjim said:

My wife has her own power strip for her iPhone, iPad, and Kindle.

Curious that she uses both an iPad and a Kindle.  Mrs FT ditched her Kindles for the Kindle app on an iPad Air.

37 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Curious that she uses both an iPad and a Kindle.  Mrs FT ditched her Kindles for the Kindle app on an iPad Air.

It’s a Kindle Oasis which is smaller and lighter than her iPad. It also has buttons for turning pages which she also prefers over finger swipes. Yes, it’s one more device, but I don’t tell her what to pack… 😺

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

‘it sounds like if we have a couple two prong adaptors, both for our hotel prior to, and for Quest, we should be okay with charging both Cpap and Phones/etc that we have at home. It just will require more cables than I had hoped. I queried the hotel and they confirmed TypeF.

And don't forget to play (and win) at Team Trivia when on board; the travel adaptor is really good and compact for travelling.  20230503_190932.thumb.jpg.dc852f292d0584c4c35c60b5c21b2c44.jpg20230503_191008.thumb.jpg.87a738dad7c1f695990c881d12896a86.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, johng75370 said:

And don't forget to play (and win) at Team Trivia when on board; the travel adaptor is really good and compact for travelling.  20230503_190932.thumb.jpg.dc852f292d0584c4c35c60b5c21b2c44.jpg20230503_191008.thumb.jpg.87a738dad7c1f695990c881d12896a86.jpg

Will let DH know about this!  He’s pretty good. Me - not so much so! Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 6:36 PM, ejincali said:

Ovation has US style, Europe style, and USB on both sides of the bed.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:57 AM, Darspurs said:

Can someone please confirm for the Encore please.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:36 PM, ejincali said:

On 4/25/2023 at 9:03 PM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. I appreciate that info. We are sailing on Quest so want to be prepared 

Guess i am out of practice with multi quotes.  I was going to say that only the Ovation and Encore have both on each side of the bed as well as USB ports.  However, the handicap accessible suites do not have USB ports next to the bed.  There is a red emergency button in it's place.  Which we found out the hard way, when I plugged in my USB adapter into the outlet next to it, which was large enough to push in the button.  I was startled when the medical response team was suddenly in our room.   

1 hour ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Guess i am out of practice with multi quotes.  I was going to say that only the Ovation and Encore have both on each side of the bed as well as USB ports.  However, the handicap accessible suites do not have USB ports next to the bed.  There is a red emergency button in it's place.  Which we found out the hard way, when I plugged in my USB adapter into the outlet next to it, which was large enough to push in the button.  I was startled when the medical response team was suddenly in our room.   

So Quest will only have one power outlet on one side of the bed? 

There are USB outlets but no US power outlets by the bed on the Quest--I think 2 on one side and one on the other side with the phone.  These are pretty slow charging.  There is one US outlet and one European at the shelf under the mirror by the bathroom (see photo) and one at the bottom of the cabinet next to the table as I mentioned above.  The Anker power strip mentioned above would probably not work with the latter since there is very little clearance.  The photo shows that the other outlet has a little more clearance so it might be OK there.  I did not take a photo of the outlet near the table but it is very close to the floor and the wall next to it.  I think the Sojourn and Oddysey have the same outlets as the Quest.  Sounds like they included more outlets on the newer ships.

DSC07727.JPG

Okay. Thank you. They are probably USB-A so I will need to use an adapter with a USB-C

I will have two adapters with me so hopefully we can make DH CPAP machine work on one side. That is the priority. 
We will figure it all out. I appreciate all the input 

If you’re worried about the Anker power strip fitting as shown in the picture, I would use a European to US adapter with the Anker strip. I’ve included a link to an example on Amazon. Notice, it has three slots on the US side, so the Anker strip will work. I’ve used the Ceptics British adapter successfully with the power strip, so I’d expect the European adapter to work too. 

Ceptics European Adaptor

Thank you once again. I do have two of these converters for use in the hotel pre cruise and for on the ship. Most of the devices I looked at did not have more than one usb c port so I just purchased an Anker charger with two usb c ports too,use with one adapter. With DH CPAP I should be able to use the other adapter next to one side of the bed. I think this should work without an extension cord. Am I correct?

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you once again. I do have two of these converters for use in the hotel pre cruise and for on the ship. Most of the devices I looked at did not have more than one usb c port so I just purchased an Anker charger with two usb c ports too,use with one adapter. With DH CPAP I should be able to use the other adapter next to one side of the bed. I think this should work without an extension cord. Am I correct?

Ah, extension cords…

I always pack an extension cord for my CPAP, but I am uncomfortable using it with 220V service. It’s fairly light and I’m not sure if it can handle higher voltages. It is UL rated, but the tags on it are long gone. So, I only use it with 110V. Most CPAPs are multi-voltage now (thankfully). I’ve never had a problem plugging mine into 220V service. I have used the cord in cabins where the only outlet is away from the bed. In that case I unplug it in the morning and stuff it under the bed until the next evening. 

On 5/4/2023 at 4:01 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Kindles are far superior to iPads for reading outside, no glare. I still use both for that reason.

• Like 1