Baggage Pre-Board

Hello all! I am sailing on Explorer of the Seas out of Venice on September 24, 2023. I will be arriving in Venice from Rome via railway train around 9:30 am. Does anyone know if I am able to drop and check in my baggage before my scheduled boarding time? I want to see venice for at least a couple hours because I will be unable after deembarkation but, won't work with baggage. If anyone has any info, that would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, browneyedangel74 said:

I want to see venice for at least a couple hours because I will be unable after deembarkation but, won't work with baggage.

Maybe you don't now that the ship leaves/arrives in Ravenna which is at 2+ hours away from Venice and what you are contemplating won't work?

But, yes, you can usually drop off luggage without having to check in.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe you don't now that the ship leaves/arrives in Ravenna which is at 2+ hours away from Venice and what you are contemplating won't work?

My apologies I didn't know these two things either

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I am glad I made this post because I may have never realized that before it was too late. Thank you!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, browneyedangel74 said:

I am glad I made this post because I may have never realized that before it was too late. Thank you!

Hopefully you can change your train tickets! (though I didn't realize those were on sale yet) I wouldn't want to make the trek from Rome to Venice and THEN another 2 hours to Ravenna on the same day, could you possibly go to Venice earlier from Rome and then leave sometime mid morning to get to Ravenna?  

39 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

Hopefully you can change your train tickets! (though I didn't realize those were on sale yet) I wouldn't want to make the trek from Rome to Venice and THEN another 2 hours to Ravenna on the same day, could you possibly go to Venice earlier from Rome and then leave sometime mid morning to get to Ravenna?  

Train tickets are not available yet for that date. I have been doing all my thinking with Venice port in mind so, I will just change my plans. I haven't booked flights yet either so, I think we will fly into Venice, spend the couple days there instead of rome, take train to Ravenna, and train back to Venice for the flight home. At least I will save money on flights because now its a round trip flight instead of multi-city flights!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Train between Ravenna and Venice is 4 hrs + Not a one day quick trip from Ravenna to Venice to Ravenna.  Car is 2+hrs . Bus is 3.

Italia Rail shows approx. 3 hours. I would be going Venice to Ravenna, cruise for 7 days, then train back to Venice for flight home. I am going to check out private transport also.

14 minutes ago, browneyedangel74 said:

Italia Rail shows approx. 3 hours. I would be going Venice to Ravenna, cruise for 7 days, then train back to Venice for flight home. I am going to check out private transport also.

yeah, I just checked trenitalia and it says 2.5-4..... I would suggest using trenitalia.com to purchase (in advance, as close to the schedule release as possible you can get good discounts! is it early june I think?) as that is direct from the source.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

yeah, I just checked trenitalia and it says 2.5-4..... I would suggest using trenitalia.com to purchase (in advance, as close to the schedule release as possible you can get good discounts! is it early june I think?) as that is direct from the source.....

Thanks for the information! Now I can plan properly 🙂

• Like 1

Another transfer option to consider.   Royal sells bus transfers from Venice Airport and Venice City “Center”.   City Center is at a parking garage area on the west side of Venice called Tronchetto.  It’s not really in city center.  But it’s reachable from the automated rail system called the “People Mover”.  

These bus transfers may be more convenient than taking the train to Ravenna and then a taxi or bus to the ship.  But it’s also more expensive. 

There are lots of options to consider over the coming months!

Edited by MeHeartCruising

15 hours ago, Kathscof said:

For planning purposes , i.e., making connections, always use to later time.  No need to cut it close.  But still, 5 hours back and forth (depending on departure times) is a bit of a busy day and limits time in Venice itself.   And still leavers OP with lugging baggage around. some where.

21 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

For planning purposes , i.e., making connections, always use to later time.  No need to cut it close.  But still, 5 hours back and forth (depending on departure times) is a bit of a busy day and limits time in Venice itself.   And still leavers OP with lugging baggage around. some where.

it would all depend on which train you took into which timing you would take into account, but the OP has now decided on the better way to spend her time, so back and forth is not needed anymore 🙂 

• Like 1

I know Venice is high on your priority list (it would be for me too if I was lucky enough to get back that way).  However, just wanted to offer another tip.  When thinking about airfare, please do consider flying to or from Bologna rather than Venice. Even if it's just one way.  The price difference may be well worth it than if you flew into Venice. You could always fly into Bologna and then stay in Venice for a day or two post cruise and then fly home from Venice?! Or try vice-versa.