Newbie Oceania questions

FeelingCruisy

Just reserved a cabin on Oceania, not sure of certain things.  11 nights cruise.  On the bottom of the reservation it says 

OLife is included in the above fare.

**OPTION - No OLife**

Total $3698.00 with no $600.00 of OBC.

Free $600.00 onboard credit, beverage package (select non-alcoholic drinks), internet access and specialty restaurant dining included with your cabin

I am assuming the $600 is the Olife credit that was selected for me right (or I could've picked excursions or the wine and beer during lunch and dinner).  I would've picked the $600 anyway if that's the case.  

I assume I still have to pay for gratuity.  Can I apply the Olife credit towards the gratuity?  Do I need to tell them when onboard or will it automatically be deducted from my $600 credit daily?  (Is there a tv screen I can view my expenses)

I can use the rest of the credits on drinks, alcohol, etc correct?

I think I read we are allowed 6 bottles of wine to bring onboard per cabin, and then some other source was saying 3 bottles per cabin.  Which info is true?

Was also searching and found out we can also bring wine onboard when we are at land.  Is that also true?  How many bottles?  

I would think there's a corking fee.   Can we bring our glasses of wine with us to dinner to avoid corking fee?

Any formal nights? Slacks and polo collared shirts sufficient for lunch and dinner?

I would clarify  with who did the booking if you have the OBC or not  before making plans to spend it  😉

No formal nights on Oceania

You can bring as many bottles of wine as your like 

NO you should not take a glass  from your cabin to any of the public spaces

You can drink it in your cabin or pay the corkage

Please to not spoil Oceania generous policy of allowing pax to bring  wine onboard

I would take some time & read through the forum here  most of your questions will be answered already

Be sure to read the  T & C's  on your invoice

Also check the  FAQ's

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/

Enjoy  the cruise

• Like 2

Not looking to spoil anything for anyone.  Just looking for information. If it's frown upon, of course I would not do that.  I'm asking because I want to make a decision between this cruise or another cruise from another one on silverseas by tomorrow.  Gathering info as quickly as I can.  Cheers.  What's t and c ?

2 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Not looking to spoil anything for anyone.  Just looking for information. If it's frown upon, of course I would not do that.  I'm asking because I want to make a decision between this cruise or another cruise from another one on silverseas by tomorrow.  Gathering info as quickly as I can.  Cheers.  What's t and c ?

Terms & Conditions  also known as  "the fine print"

yes it is frowned upon on Oceania  to take  drinks from you personal stash  to public areas

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

23 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Just reserved a cabin on Oceania, not sure of certain things.  11 nights cruise.  On the bottom of the reservation it says 

OLife is included in the above fare.

**OPTION - No OLife**

Total $3698.00 with no $600.00 of OBC.

Free $600.00 onboard credit, beverage package (select non-alcoholic drinks), internet access and specialty restaurant dining included with your cabin

I am assuming the $600 is the Olife credit that was selected for me right (or I could've picked excursions or the wine and beer during lunch and dinner).  I would've picked the $600 anyway if that's the case.  

I assume I still have to pay for gratuity.  Can I apply the Olife credit towards the gratuity?  Do I need to tell them when onboard or will it automatically be deducted from my $600 credit daily?  (Is there a tv screen I can view my expenses)

I can use the rest of the credits on drinks, alcohol, etc correct?

I think I read we are allowed 6 bottles of wine to bring onboard per cabin, and then some other source was saying 3 bottles per cabin.  Which info is true?

Was also searching and found out we can also bring wine onboard when we are at land.  Is that also true?  How many bottles?  

I would think there's a corking fee.   Can we bring our glasses of wine with us to dinner to avoid corking fee?

Any formal nights? Slacks and polo collared shirts sufficient for lunch and dinner?

O Life is whichever of the three options you select. Know, however, the the SBC option has zero value since you pay for it in the O Life cabin fare - dollar for dollar. The tours option allows you to double its base $100 per tour value by booking the most expensive of the allowable tours up to $199. The booze option is good for some folks - particularly if you want to then upgrade to unlimited booze for about $25/day/person extra.

O’s non-refundable SBC can be used for all on board purchases (except future cruise deposit) and for gratuities coverage. 

7 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

terms and conditions 

like great food? Choose O

You can bring as many bottles of wine, beer and liquor aboard for consumption in your cabin.  Your room steward or butler will provide you with all the necessary mixers, condiments and glasses for your favorite cocktail.  You can take a bottle of wine to dinner and pay the $25.00 corkage fee.  They will store your unfinished bottle for you to enjoy another time in any venue.  We can not comment on this perk as an unfinished bottle of wine is not something we have encountered,....

You can take the beverage package that comes with OLife and then upgrade to the prestige beverage package onboard.  Taking the $600.00 OBC is the least valuable of the 3 options - unless you do not drink and do not take shore excursions.  

Flatbush-

O Life is whichever of the three options you select. Know, however, the the SBC option has zero value since you pay for it in the O Life cabin fare - dollar for dollar. 

What does that mean?

My partner drinks and I don't.  So can we opt for $300 Olife money and he gets the drink package?

Basor - I was aware of wine, liquor as in scotch are OK too?  I was reading the very confusing Oceania, sounded like 6 bottles of wine and then if I buy at port, I can do a limit of 3 total, if I'm reading it correctly.   Didn't know about the liquor!  Wow.  

Finally can I not take Olife and pay as I use if I can't split it to 300 and drink package ?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

3 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

flat - like great food? Choose O

Is it because.if.i don't have Olife I can't go to specialty restaurant?

Dining on O including the specialty restaurants is included complimentary for everyone and has nothing to do with OLife - the same as WIFI (one free account per room), etc.

Yes - you can bring any kind of alcohol on board, for consumption in your cabin, at embarkation and at ports.  There is no limit to the number of bottles...

Edited by basor

O as in Oceania, got it.   

I think I am getting it with the Olife options.  I doubt if I can split the olife (drinks and cash).  I wonder if I can just opt out of Olife and pay as I go? 

The way I see it the 600 is like an upfront payment for my future expenses on the ship if I'm not doing the drinks or excursion package.   Have been to most of the ports, some more than once, so would be happy just to walk around ourselves.  

Thanks so much for your help!

Bringing alcohol on the ship - is it just carry on ourselves?  We probably don't have a check bag.   And if we do, will it all go into the suitcase?

If you do not drink  or take ships tours skip the O life

O life does not have anything to do  with  the airfare, specialties. or internet

If on the larger ships  La Reserve   & Privee are fee based  dining venues

7 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

O as in Oceania, got it.   

I wonder if I can just opt out of Olife and pay as I go? 

Of course you can

The way I see it the 600 is like an upfront payment for my future expenses on the ship if I'm not doing the drinks or excursion package.   Have been to most of the ports, some more than once, so would be happy just to walk around ourselves.  

BINGO

Thanks so much for your help!

Bringing alcohol on the ship - is it just carry on ourselves?  We probably don't have a check bag.   And if we do, will it all go into the suitcase?

I would put any bottles in your carry on

it is not  a problem

Thanks so much everyone LHT BASOR FLAT..everyone else, so kind to help.

We normally just do a carry on these days, since I believe the ship have complimentary laundromat.  But we may have to bring some good scotch from Canada sailing from Rome.  Have some researching to do.  

Can we bring a few bottles in one of the many ports if we find something good or is it only during embarkation?  The rule is 3 isn't it at port (not embarkation).

So excited.  Think we will end up Oceania.

We have a Celebrity booked right after this, well a few days in Turkey before getting on Celebrity, my retirement almost back to back.

FeelingCruisy,

You can bring as much booze as you want no matter the ports - embarkation or otherwise. Don't worry about the O guidelines. The rules are trite and unenforced. 

As has been noted your potables are for consumption in your cabin or on your balcony.

The corkage fee is for your personal wine collection consumed in the dining rooms and is $25 per bottle.

The specialty restaurants are by reservation and prebooking can be done prior to the cruise. Numbers and booking dates are based on cabin category. Additional reservations are often available once you board.

Oceania is a little confusing, especially the O Life component but once onboard everything works.

11 hours ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Just reserved a cabin on Oceania, not sure of certain things.  11 nights cruise.  On the bottom of the reservation it says  OLife is included in the above fare.

I think I read we are allowed 6 bottles of wine to bring onboard per cabin, and then some other source was saying 3 bottles per cabin.  Which info is true? Was also searching and found out we can also bring wine onboard when we are at land.  Is that also true?  How many bottles?  I would think there's a corking fee.   Can we bring our glasses of wine with us to dinner to avoid corking fee?

We do CRUISE ONLY to avoid all the complications & pitfalls and just book our own airfare and make our own excursions, to get what we want at real "retail".

You can BRING beer, hard liquor and wine on to the ship at embarkation and in ports. ONLY drink any beer and hard liquor in your cabin! IF you want to drink your wine outside your cabin at a meal, you need to pay the $25 corkage fee in the restaurant.

The attire in the restaurants (2-R class/4-O class specialty & GDR) for men is essentially shirt with collar, pants, socks & shoes. The Terrace Cafe is much more informal, so that can include shorts, ballcaps, etc. There will be a Captain's Party, but attire same as for the restaurants. YOU never have to wear a suit or jacket or tie in a restaurant if you don't want to.

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We do CRUISE ONLY to avoid all the complications & pitfalls and just book our own airfare and make our own excursions, to get what we want at real "retail".

You can BRING beer, hard liquor and wine on to the ship at embarkation and in ports. ONLY drink any beer and hard liquor in your cabin! 

The attire in the restaurants (2-R class/4-O class specialty & GDR) for men is essentially shirt with collar, pants, socks & shoes. The Terrace Cafe is much more informal, so that can include shorts, ballcaps, etc. There will be a Captain's Party, but attire same as for the restaurants. YOU never have to wear a suit or jacket or tie in a restaurant if you don't want to.

And please DO NOT pour and take your personal wine out of your cabin to meals or other public venues. Bottles only and pay the $25 corkage. O will store and retrieve unfinished wine for you. 

Also if you don't have one already, worth looking into finding a TA.  Most on these boards would agree it can be worth your time and money.  We are not allowed to suggest TA's on these forums but as you were also looking at a luxury cruise, that is how we started looking for our TA.  

To be clear, Oceania is not always easy for all TA's to grasp but if you are able to find one of their preferred ones it can save you money.  We took our first cruise in January, on the Riviera and got free gratuities and a check back for 5% of the fare.  Not huge dollars on our B3 cabin but every bit helps and if you start cruising often or moving up to lengthier cruises in suites this could be some real dollars.

If you can't find a good O TA before your first cruise the consensus seems to be to ask around when cruising on O and find out the good TA's for any future cruises.

If you go and enjoy do sign up on board for a future cruise (which can be moved to a TA within 30 days.)

Finally, big O sale right now as you will see on these boards.  If you can snag one of these for sale cruises (hard to know how many are left,). You could score a big savings.

• Like 1

The restaurants sounds fancy.   Which one is the steak restaurant?  I'm guessing Oceania is similar to Crystal, where they also allow one reservation for the specialty per cabin..looks really yummy especially the French.   No I would never pour anything out of the cabin, I promise !!

3 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Also if you don't have one already, worth looking into finding a TA.  Most on these boards would agree it can be worth your time and money.  We are not allowed to suggest TA's on these forums but as you were also looking at a luxury cruise, that is how we started looking for our TA.  

To be clear, Oceania is not always easy for all TA's to grasp but if you are able to find one of their preferred ones it can save you money.  We took our first cruise in January, on the Riviera and got free gratuities and a check back for 5% of the fare.  Not huge dollars on our B3 cabin but every bit helps and if you start cruising often or moving up to lengthier cruises in suites this could be some real dollars.

If you can't find a good O TA before your first cruise the consensus seems to be to ask around when cruising on O and find out the good TA's for any future cruises.

If you go and enjoy do sign up on board for a future cruise (which can be moved to a TA within 30 days.)

Finally, big O sale right now as you will see on these boards.  If you can snag one of these for sale cruises (hard to know how many are left,). You could score a big savings.

Thanks for the info.  We have sailed many different lines, but wanted to try Oceania because I was told the food is exceptional.  The 5% you mentioned certainly gave me a good clue. Hehehe LOL