Newbie Oceania questions

FeelingCruisy

6 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

The restaurants sounds fancy.   Which one is the steak restaurant?  I'm guessing Oceania is similar to Crystal, where they also allow one reservation for the specialty per cabin..looks really yummy especially the French.   No I would never pour anything out of the cabin, I promise !!

You are  allowed to pre book  1 or 2  per restaurant per cabin depending on Cabin category & length of sailing

Once onboard  you can go to the reservations desk on deck 5 & ask for other seating   based of availability

Nothing like Crystal

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant-

1 minute ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Oops last question I promise.  Dining options.  Does Oceania do early , late or anytime options that we need to pick from when we book ???

For the specialty restaurants you make reservations in advance (timing dependent upon your cabin type) and can try to make additional ones on and after embarkation. Had been as early as 6:30 PM on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022) but I've read that at least one ship (Marina?) was starting around 6 PM. And since the nightly shows start at 9:30 PM, most are done eating by then.

5 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Oops last question I promise.  Dining options.  Does Oceania do early , late or anytime options that we need to pick from when we book ???

Just show up  between 6:30 & 9 pm

except  when you book the Specialties  you  choose a time when booking those

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And please DO NOT pour and take your personal wine out of your cabin to meals or other public venues. Bottles only and pay the $25 corkage. O will store and retrieve unfinished wine for you. 

I'm curious why you emphasized that as if you either find it personally offensive, or you work for Oceania?  I am not meaning to be snarky at all, just curious why you seemed so emphatic.

1 minute ago, CruisinShips said:

I'm curious why you emphasized that as if you either find it personally offensive, or you work for Oceania?  I am not meaning to be snarky at all, just curious why you seemed so emphatic.

I know for ME, we bring our own beer, hard liquor and wine on board at embarkation and at the ports. WE do NOT want to lose this wonderful privilege because people abuse it. We've read the claims of others discussing how they would surrepticiously drink their own alcohol across the ship in violation of the policy. I do NOT want to have to contemplate a future like other cruise lines where one has to either go all inclusive, pay for a drink package or try to smuggle alcohol on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MEFIowa said:

I know for ME, we bring our own beer, hard liquor and wine on board at embarkation and at the ports. WE do NOT want to lose this wonderful privilege because people abuse it. We've read the claims of others discussing how they would surrepticiously drink their own alcohol across the ship in violation of the policy. I do NOT want to have to contemplate a future like other cruise lines where one has to either go all inclusive, pay for a drink package or try to smuggle alcohol on board.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for that explanation.

23 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Despite its CYA “6 bottle limit” statement, O has never enforced it. Bring onboard as much wine/booze as you want (at embarkation or in ports enroute). To keep it that way, just follow the rules about personal booze consumption.

That said, there are the occasional cheapskates who insist on pouring wine in their cabin and carrying it to meals or other public venues in order to avoid the $25 corkage. Really? How ridiculously petty. 

Fortunately, cabin glassware is different from the glass ware in the bars and, lately, Maitre d’s have been more vigilant about sensitively reminding offenders of the booze policies. In addition, you’ll see occasional policy reminders in the daily Currents, particularly when there’s more than a handful of these offenders.

Also, as you look at various other policies and practices on O being discussed here on CC, you’ll find that many of the “O regulars” have strong opinions about some items whenever changes are proposed/introduced by Oceania. Since it’s beginning, O has been focused on a particular demographic (no, not just age) and M.O. that keeps the “regulars” coming back again and again.

FWIW: Covid has tested the above premise as will O’s eventual need to cater to more than just accomplished/well traveled baby boomers. But, many of the traditionalists will not go along without complaining.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

The attire in the restaurants (2-R class/4-O class specialty & GDR) for men is essentially shirt with collar, pants, socks & shoes.

Wait, what?? We have to wear socks?!? I guess I'll be packing a checked bag next time 😉 (and don't make the UK pax snicker with the "pants"...we'll have them showing up in scandalous attire 🤪)

5 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

don't make the UK pax snicker with the "pants"

You say tomato and I say tomato. 😀

I did have the other side of that "leg covering" coin a year or so back on another non-travel forum when an American asked me what the heck were these "trousers" I was mentioning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

...(and don't make the UK pax snicker with the "pants"...we'll have them showing up in scandalous attire)

Though in the UK they don't keep socks in their boots, but spare tyres. And they don't wear bonnets, they check the engine fluids under them. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1