Couple of Silly Questions on the DBP

We pulled the trigger on bought the DBP today for our Harmony cruise in a couple of weeks. Like many, we stalked the Royal site and today the price was down low enough for us to buy it. 

Here's my silly questions. 

Does Royal require you to wait a set period of time between ordering drinks?

If you got a frozen rum drink, will they allow a floater with the drink, have you wait, or do they even do floaters??

5 minutes ago, willing292 said:

What’s a floater?

If you get a frozen drink..often times a rum drink..the bartender will "float" another shot of rum on top of the drink. Some bars but the shot in a sort of test tube, and insert it in the drink, and the extra shot sorta "floats" in the tube until it's pulled out.

I had no issue with ordering a second drink after finishing the first one.  If you're asking because you'd like to order a drink then get a second drink for someone else, I'd advise against that as I'm a rule follower and would hate to ruin the fun for other people who follow the rules.  That being said, you did in NO WAY intimate that was the case but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.  As I said first, I never had any issue with a second drink after the first.

Not sure about the floater but find yourself a great bartender, tip with cash, and I'm sure they'll make it happen!

• Like 2

A lot of bartenders play loose with the time between drinks.  It’s one drink at a time and I think the guidance is 15 minutes but it can depend on the person and the drinks they are ordering as to how long before they will pour another one.  One bartender told me for “short” drinks (like a rum and coke) he waited 5 minutes but if someone is doing Long Islands he makes them wait a few minutes longer if they are pounding them down.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeepierRoad said:

I had no issue with ordering a second drink after finishing the first one.  If you're asking because you'd like to order a drink then get a second drink for someone else, I'd advise against that as I'm a rule follower and would hate to ruin the fun for other people who follow the rules.  That being said, you did in NO WAY intimate that was the case but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.  As I said first, I never had any issue with a second drink after the first.

Not sure about the floater but find yourself a great bartender, tip with cash, and I'm sure they'll make it happen!

Nope...not for a second person at all...all for me!! I been around this rodeo for a while, and I also prefer to follow the rules and not contribute to ruining anyones fun.

But it's really simple. One of my cruise indulgences is to enjoy a cigar or 2, in the appropriate smoking section, with a bourbon or scotch or whiskey. Takes a while to good through a decent cigar, and one or two drinks...usually not enough...I enjoy most of my brown liquors neat.......so just looking for ways to keep my glass "full" as simply as I can. Doubles would be nice, but can't always seem to get them. 

As for floaters...I totally get the "good tipping" part....though many bars will provide or offer a floater with a rum drink..say a rum runner...for an additional cost usually. If Royal does not offer that...maybe then nice tipping will "fix that"!!

• Like 2

If we know we are going to be at a bar/lounge for a long time (or even when beginning our dinner service) -- we tip very well for the 1st drink and ask the server to keep bringing them when they see our glass getting low.  Got to a point where we walked into the bar/lounge and our drinks would appear without us asking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Anton said:

A lot of bartenders play loose with the time between drinks.  It’s one drink at a time and I think the guidance is 15 minutes but it can depend on the person and the drinks they are ordering as to how long before they will pour another one.  One bartender told me for “short” drinks (like a rum and coke) he waited 5 minutes but if someone is doing Long Islands he makes them wait a few minutes longer if they are pounding them down.  

Interesting. Carnival states pretty clearly with the information for their Cheers drink package, a 5 minute wait between drinks, I couldn't find what that was for RCI. Most times it's a none issue, but pretty silly when a bar offers a floater to accompany a rum runner, to serve the rum runner, then tell you, you have to wait 5 minutes for the floater!!! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

If we know we are going to be at a bar/lounge for a long time (or even when beginning our dinner service) -- we tip very well for the 1st drink and ask the server to keep bringing them when they see our glass getting low.  Got to a point where we walked into the bar/lounge and our drinks would appear without us asking.

I do that without tipping.  Wait, I did tip, 18%

On 4/27/2023 at 3:47 PM, bar1068 said:

Nope...not for a second person at all...all for me!! I been around this rodeo for a while, and I also prefer to follow the rules and not contribute to ruining anyones fun.

But it's really simple. One of my cruise indulgences is to enjoy a cigar or 2, in the appropriate smoking section, with a bourbon or scotch or whiskey. Takes a while to good through a decent cigar, and one or two drinks...usually not enough...I enjoy most of my brown liquors neat.......so just looking for ways to keep my glass "full" as simply as I can. Doubles would be nice, but can't always seem to get them. 

As for floaters...I totally get the "good tipping" part....though many bars will provide or offer a floater with a rum drink..say a rum runner...for an additional cost usually. If Royal does not offer that...maybe then nice tipping will "fix that"!!

I'm a big fan cigars (the smell of) and scotch/bourbon/whiskey.  If you're sitting outside, I'd flag down a roving waiter and tell him your plan.  That way when it's time to order the next drink hopefully you won't have to wait too long between rounds.  Thank you for your gracious response to my response. ❤️  Bon voyage!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, bar1068 said:

Not sure about doubles, but I've definitely had bartenders on RC tell me that I couldn't order a shot and a beer together on the same package, even if the intent was to do the shot right in front of them and then drink the beer while sitting at the bar.  They'd make me order the shot, drink it, and then wait to order the beer- but usually not long (my recollection is kind of hazy- I wonder why!- but I seem to recall that they would pour the beer as soon as I finished the shot, they just had to see me down the first drink before they would pour the second).  

You'll figure out your favorite bartenders on the ship pretty quickly, and they'll take care of you.  I have no doubt that after the first day or so you'll find one that's willing to either do doubles or figure some other way to make sure you're happy.  

• Like 1