Hop on Hop off buses in Porto

I am posting this question on this and the Spain forum.  According to reviews on Viator, the yellow Hoho buses got terrible reviews.  Many said the translation earphones were not working and many had to wait sometimes two hours to get back on the bus if they got off downtown.

Besides the ship excursions which are very expensive, this seems to be the easiest way to get from the port Lexios to downtown Porto.  I know you can take the 500 bus but it seems like a far walk to the bus stop.  Is there a public shuttle from the port to downtown?  Anyone have experience with the hoho bus or the 500 bus?

Anyone have experience with the hoho bus or the 500 bus?

Been twice and used neither of these.

We used the metro  to get from the dock to town and back again, only having to make one change  from one line to another to reach Vila Nova da Gaia.

There will be many past threads you could find helpful to read.  if you do not know how to use the SEARCH tool, go to the general Other Mediterranean Ports Forum, (not an individual thread)and input the word Leixões into the empty search box directly under your username, then hit the little spy glass.  All previous threads and posts with that name in them should appear ready for you to read.

You could also try the same tool but using the words OPorto and Porto at different times as it spells both ways.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 3:13 AM, cyntil8ing said:

We used Uber. It cost 9€. IMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.603ae4e94beba609a9c710d16e4d38c9.jpeg

Thank you, that's very useful information I tried putting the Uber route in before I posted, and it said they did not operate in this area.
Was there a ride share pick up area at the port? 

4 hours ago, debsjc said:

Was there a ride share pick up area at the port? 

There is a shuttle bus from the ship to exit the port. The Uber picked us up and dropped us off right at that spot outside the gate.

Taxi drivers, I think, were allowed to drop off at the ship, but not Ubers. We still had to take the shuttle bus.

The ride back was more expensive because it was peak travel time. It was 23€.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

We went in October last year.

yellow hop on hop off bus was horrendous and an absolute rip off. We had to wait 1.5 hours for the bus. The queues at each stop were miles long, it was painfully slow… it actually took us back to the port, so we cut our losses and got off. 

we took a shuttle bus from the port to the center of Porto ( free)  , a little water taxi across the river.. then we should have just explored on foot. It would have been much better.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, edinburgher said:

Anyone have experience with the hoho bus or the 500 bus?

Been twice and used neither of these.

We used the metro  to get from the dock to town and back again, only having to make one change  from one line to another to reach Vila Nova da Gaia.

There will be many past threads you could find helpful to read.  if you do not know how to use the SEARCH tool, go to the general Other Mediterranean Ports Forum, (not an individual thread)and input the word Leixões into the empty search box directly under your username, then hit the little spy glass.  All previous threads and posts with that name in them should appear ready for you to read.

You could also try the same tool but using the words OPorto and Porto at different times as it spells both ways.

Thanks for the info - I was wondering if you can remember the name of the station where you had to change trains from one line to another before reaching Vila Nova Gaia - would hate to get off at the wrong station

10 hours ago, lydnsyd said:
On 4/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, edinburgher said:

Thanks for the info - I was wondering if you can remember the name of the station where you had to change trains from one line to another before reaching Vila Nova Gaia - would hate to get off at the wrong station

Sorry no I cannot but a very easy journey and an easy change.

You only need pul up the Oporto metro system map and all the lines and stations will be shown.  You would be boarding at Leixoes  port, at(something like Matsoinhos) on the west side, and continuing on that line until the interchange station which should be clearly marked, at which point you switch to the line which heads vaguely south. I remember we got off  close to the huge bridge at a station with a name which began with the word "jardim".  I remember because of the  fabulous views from there, so we took photos then walked down to the waterfront.

The metro/tram is part overground/ part underground but most is overground.Remember to keep your tickets for  journeys until they are complete as there may be inspectors. There should also be online info about how to buy tickets and use the metro/tram. Google is your best friend. All will become clear if you put a bit of time into research as suggested, and remember that knowledge is confidence.

would hate to get off at the wrong station 

We have all done that at some point in our lives somewhere in the world have we not?.  Do as you would do anywhere, ie if too soon, get on the next metro/tram and continue to the correct station.  If you overshot, to change direction you would usually need to cross to the opposite side, get on the next metro/tram and return to the correct station.  Simples. If you research as suggested you should not make a mistake as it was an easy journey to make.

I think you will enjoy your day. Do visit at least one of the many port houses, again Google is your best friend for info..  And the station with the wonderful tiles as it is in the old town only 5 minutes or less walk from the big bridge.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1