Seabourn Venture July 29, 2023 to Greenland

PEBLaw

We are going on the Venture on July 29, 2023 which includes a  one night stay in Reykjavik at the  Parliament Hotel by Hilton. We then board a charter flight  to Greenland on July 30th.

We are thinking about adding 2 nights before the cruise starts so we can see some sights in Reykjavik and the rest of Iceland that the cruise does not cover. 

Before we book any day tours for our pre-cruise stay, we are wondering whether Seabourn includes any excursions or meals 

for the included stay of July 29 and also would like to know what time we board the charter flight to Greenland on July 30th.

Also any advice or recommendations for some day tours during our pre-cruise stay in Reykjavik would be appreciated as we want to see as much as we can without any overlaps. Thank you.

Seabourn will include breakfast out your hotel.    If your flight is to Greenland you will have an early start.   The charter plane takes you to Greenland and picks up the passenger who debarked.   Those passengers are loaded onto your plane and flown back to Iceland.

I would take a day tour of the Golden Circle.  There are lots available.  They go to Thingvellir National Park, the Geysir geothermal area and Gullfoss waterfall.  We had  a car and drove the route so I cannot recommend a company, but the sites, especially to the last two, are pretty cool.

16 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

Go to the Blue Lagoon. Best cure ever for jet lag. Be sure to make a reservation for the day/time you want to go. 

Interesting.  We're going to Iceland in Sept.  Jet lag on the day of our arrival is concerning me.  Our flight lands at 6am, which will be midnight for us.  It's unlikely we will get much if any sleep on the plane due to the timing.  My thinking was to book the Blue Lagoon for the following day when we would be semi-recovered from jet lag.  Your suggestion says otherwise and I'll have to reconsider.  My plan was for arrival day to be a down day, but it does pose a problem as to what to do for the 9 hours between landing (6am) and when our hotel room will be ready (3pm).  My thinking was to have a lazy breakfast and then do a walking tour which departs right across from our hotel.  I'm not sure if this is preferable to catching a bus to the Blue Lagoon or not.  It's certainly simpler.  Now you've got me reconsidering🤔

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

Interesting.  We're going to Iceland in Sept.  Jet lag on the day of our arrival is concerning me.  Our flight lands at 6am, which will be midnight for us.  It's unlikely we will get much if any sleep on the plane due to the timing.  My thinking was to book the Blue Lagoon for the following day when we would be semi-recovered from jet lag.  Your suggestion says otherwise and I'll have to reconsider.  My plan was for arrival day to be a down day, but it does pose a problem as to what to do for the 9 hours between landing (6am) and when our hotel room will be ready (3pm).  My thinking was to have a lazy breakfast and then do a walking tour which departs right across from our hotel.  I'm not sure if this is preferable to catching a bus to the Blue Lagoon or not.  It's certainly simpler.  Now you've got me reconsidering🤔

You might like to take into consideration that the Blue Lagoon is only 20 minutes by car from the airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavik.

• Like 1

I recommend spending your first night at the hotel that encompasses the semi private part of the blue lagoon,  it’s close to the airport, you get the blue lagoon experience without the crowds and it has a nice restaurant for dinner And nice rooms.  I think it’s called the retreat. It’s a great way to spend the day you are over your jet lag.   We were there pre Covid and spent our first night there. Then moved after the first night into a hotel in town where we spent one day exploring the town and the other doing the circle tour mentioned above.  We did it by private tour driver/ guide but don’t recall the name.   We had a very nice time before getting on Quest which went to Greenland and Canada ending in Montreal.  They used to call it Route of the Vikings.  

If your flight is arriving at 6am, I would suggest booking a hotel room for a day prior to your arrival with a notation that you will be arriving early the next day. That way you can get to the hotel, have a quick nap and get on their time zone. That is my plan for our trip in June.