Booking flights through NCL?

Bandit2301

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

The point was, the airlines do prioritize passengers.

Any reference to priority status had to do with type of tickets, not how they were purchased.  I don't doubt that first class passengers would get priority treatment. 

Not proof that there is any advantage to purchasing economy tickets directly from the airlines over purchasing economy tickets through NCL or another 3rd party - with respect to rescheduling, bumping, etc.

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The point was, the airlines do prioritize passengers.

the problem with arguing with a straw man is the sudden twists and turns in the wind. oh, it's this thing.... once that thing is successfully debunked, it's this other thing over here. when that is successfully debunked, it becomes some new and different thing over there.

for the record, it's the passenger's status, achieved either through purchasing a premium class ticket or by achieving an elite status in the airline's frequent flyer program, that may determine priority or preferential treatment.

and that status carries over regardless of where or how they purchased their ticket.

Edited by UKstages
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the problem with arguing with a straw man is the sudden twists and turns in the wind. oh, it's this thing.... once that thing is successfully debunked, it's this other thing over here. when that is successfully debunked, it becomes some new and different thing over there.

for the record, it's the passenger's status, achieved either through purchasing a premium class ticket or by achieving an elite status in the airline's frequent flyer program, that may determine priority or preferential treatment.

and that status carries over regardless of where or how they purchased their ticket.

Are you saying I am the straw man?  The OP I replied to claimed that if you booked through NCL and flights got delayed or cancelled and missed your cruise, you are not going to get compensation from NCL.  I have been firm on that is no different than if you booked directly with the airlines and missed your cruise.  Some how its been devolved to priority of the booking which had nothing to do with the original post. 

People booking their airfare through NCL are expecting NCL to hold the cruise for them if their flight gets cancelled or delayed over something NCL has no control over.  If you booked that same flight on your own, would you expect NCL to hold the cruise.  No you wouldn't.  Also, why would NCL be liable to compensate you for something that happened with your flight.  They are just acting as the travel agent in this situation.  I am not going to expect my TA to compensate me for missing my cruise because they put me on a flight that was delayed or cancelled.  With the state of airlines today, there is a more than likely chance that your flight is going to have issues.   

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Any reference to priority status had to do with type of tickets, not how they were purchased.  I don't doubt that first class passengers would get priority treatment. 

Not proof that there is any advantage to purchasing economy tickets directly from the airlines over purchasing economy tickets through NCL or another 3rd party - with respect to rescheduling, bumping, etc.

First class, then business, then premium economy, then economy, then 3rd party.

The airlines will treat their customers better than those who booked through expedia, etc.

um, no.

in the case of rebooking after an air travel interruption, the priority is super premium elite frequent flyers, followed by premium elite flyers, followed by elite flyers, followed by premium cabin passengers, followed by coach passengers

(for instance, a passenger who has united airlines global services status traveling on a discounted coach ticket has greater status than a generic united mileage plus member who has purchased a first class ticket.)

how they purchased their ticket - directly from the airline, through a travel agent, through a consolidator, through another airline or a travel website or other so-called "third party" or by cashing in frequent flyer miles - has absolutely no bearing on the airline's legal responsibility to get the distressed traveler to their destination nor does it factor into the priority or courtesy given them during the rebooking process.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

First class, then business, then premium economy, then economy, then 3rd party.

The airlines will treat their customers better than those who booked through expedia, etc.

Or so you keep saying, with no proof.  Got it.

Hadn't noticed the big "3rd PARTY BOOKING" on my ticket before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Or so you keep saying, with no proof.  Got it.

Hadn't noticed the big "3rd PARTY BOOKING" on my ticket before.

Do you know what all those codes/numbers on your ticket mean?

And, no, the airlines aren't going to publically admit their prioritization.  

I simply see no reason to use a third party booking agent.  

If you bought  your ticket through expedia and someone else bought their direct, all things considered, who do you think gets the last seat?

54 minutes ago, UKstages said:

I believe that to be true. We started using American as our main airline several years ago and have status with them. So whether we pay full freight, use FF miles, or use NCL's BOGO air, as we have done, our status allows us free upgrades and the like. In other words, it's not how the tickets were purchased, it's your status that counts. Not where you bought your tickets, despite what some people seem to think.

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

most of them, yes. thanks very much for asking.

i'm a very frequent flyer, a super premium elite flyer, the kind who gets rebooked by the airline before the flight is even canceled, while the connecting flight is still in the air. i do know what most of those codes and numbers mean. and none of them carries a hidden message to treat flyers unfavorably if they purchased their tickets through a so-called "third party." (which is, in most cases, actually a second party, but why quibble among such esteemed friends and fellow cruisers?)

the source of the ticket revenue can be found by any gate agent or airline employee with just a few key strokes, but it's irrelevant to the rebooking process, unless a refund is being offered.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, no, the airlines aren't going to publically admit their prioritization.  

I simply see no reason to use a third party booking agent.  

If you bought  your ticket through expedia and someone else bought their direct, all things considered, who do you think gets the last seat?

Wow, what a blow to all those people using credit card points to book their flights, believing that they are in a better position than those booking with NCL.  Guess they need to just cash in their points and use the money to book directly.

Oh my gosh. The Points Guy? Again! Oh, deja vu...just a different topic. Seriously, could we have credible sources that actually relate to the debate being had. Don't change the topic to attempt to "win." I've yet to see a source that says a person that purchases their ticket non-direct is bumped before someone that purchased direct. Argh...facts folks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Are you saying I am the straw man?  The OP I replied to claimed that if you booked through NCL and flights got delayed or cancelled and missed your cruise, you are not going to get compensation from NCL.  I have been firm on that is no different than if you booked directly with the airlines and missed your cruise.  Some how its been devolved to priority of the booking which had nothing to do with the original post. 

People booking their airfare through NCL are expecting NCL to hold the cruise for them if their flight gets cancelled or delayed over something NCL has no control over.  If you booked that same flight on your own, would you expect NCL to hold the cruise.  No you wouldn't.  Also, why would NCL be liable to compensate you for something that happened with your flight.  They are just acting as the travel agent in this situation.  I am not going to expect my TA to compensate me for missing my cruise because they put me on a flight that was delayed or cancelled.  With the state of airlines today, there is a more than likely chance that your flight is going to have issues.   

And this post from today validates your and my statement (in post#3)

Sorry if I am hijacking someone else’s post, but I’m just rejoining CC because I’m researching a cruise from Seattle to Florida. My question relates to flights so here goes:

The cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale, where we want to stay rather than take the return flight to Seattle. Are we able to do this? Can we purchase one way flights through NCL? Or should we book our own? The price through NCL looks pretty good!

Thanks for any advice based on your experiences.

Edited by emmajo
Mistake

8 minutes ago, emmajo said:

Sorry if I am hijacking someone else’s post, but I’m just rejoining CC because I’m researching a cruise from Seattle to Florida. My question relates to flights so here goes:

The cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale, where we want to stay rather than take the return flight to Seattle. Are we able to do this? Can we purchase one way flights through NCL? Or should we book our own? The price through NCL looks pretty good!

Thanks for any advice based on your experiences.

Yes, you can just go 1-way. You will pay half of the quoted price, just need to decide before your final payment DUE date.  You can also start from 1 location, return to somewhere else, assuming it's a gateway that they would normally use.

• 4 months later...

My husband and I always use the BOGO promotion.  We fly out of Pittsburgh the day before and never had issues. We are flying out in February to Galveston and hoping for Southwest.  Many flights, and if this is the case, saving a lot of money and can also get the points on Rapid rewards 

8 minutes ago, preston said:

How do you get your TSA precheck and airline rewards on flights bought through NCL Bogo air?

go to the airline website and add them.  But you might have to call, depends on the airline.  I'm flying SW soon and wasn't able to access anything on the website, had to call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1