Cruise Insurance

Katflorida

What other options for insurance, other than Celebrity CruiseCare, has anyone used?  If you cancelled the cruise prior to leaving, we you satisfied with the turnaround of your claim?  I am waiting six weeks and counting for my claim to be processed by AON (Celebrity CruiseCare).  I have called AON several times but they say they are behind in processing claims.  Celebrity has said they cannot do anything. It’s up to AON.  I am looking for alternatives for future cruises.  Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Katflorida said:

What other options for insurance, other than Celebrity CruiseCare, has anyone used?  If you cancelled the cruise prior to leaving, we you satisfied with the turnaround of your claim?  I am waiting six weeks and counting for my claim to be processed by AON (Celebrity CruiseCare).  I have called AON several times but they say they are behind in processing claims.  Celebrity has said they cannot do anything. It’s up to AON.  I am looking for alternatives for future cruises.  Thanks. 

I go thru AMEX.  Much cheaper and you choose what you want to insure.

I have purchased insurance through TripInsuranceStore.com. I generally enter my cruise info on their website so that i can see my options. I then call and ask any questions I have about the policies and finalize my purchase over the phone. I have worked with Steve, Deanna and Kim for years and have always been happy with their service. Two points of information that are worth mentioning: When I purchase the policy, I paid for the minimum amount of insurance (typically $500 pp) so that my nonrefundable deposit was covered, and I added insurance coverage as I incurred additional nonrefundable expenses. We were also able to transfer the insurance policy from one cruise to another, when we decided to cancel a cruise (prior to final payment) and book a different cruise. I highly recommend checking their website (tripinsurancestore.com) and calling them (888-407-3854) if you are investigating your options.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisin lady ca said:

I have purchased insurance through TripInsuranceStore.com. I generally enter my cruise info on their website so that i can see my options. I then call and ask any questions I have about the policies and finalize my purchase over the phone. I have worked with Steve, Deanna and Kim for years and have always been happy with their service. Two points of information that are worth mentioning: When I purchase the policy, I paid for the minimum amount of insurance (typically $500 pp) so that my nonrefundable deposit was covered, and I added insurance coverage as I incurred additional nonrefundable expenses. We were also able to transfer the insurance policy from one cruise to another, when we decided to cancel a cruise (prior to final payment) and book a different cruise. I highly recommend checking their website (tripinsurancestore.com) and calling them (888-407-3854) if you are investigating your options.

This is exactly what I did too.  Steve was great and spoke with me on the telephone and answered all my questions.   I also only insured our cruise deposits for a 2024 TA, and will pay the balance of the policy when we make our final deposit in January 2024.  

The only other thing I would add to the above is that you'll need the cost per person and that's not necessarily the total cruise divided by the number of people traveling.  Steve kept asking me what the cost per person is, and I took the total cost of the trip and divided by two.  But when I actually looked at the invoices, Celebrity charges different for the 1st and 2nd person.   Just say that the cruise was $10,000, it was broken down $8,000 for 1st passenger and $2,000 for 2nd passenger.   We're also taking a Cunard cruise as part of the trip, and Cunard's breakdown is 50/50.  So, just say that cruise was also $10,000, their invoice shows $5,000 for both.  So the insurable costs are $13,000 for the 1st passenger and $7,000 for second.  Not $10,000 each.  He says it doesn't make much difference when you're quoting the insurance, but if you make a claim, the insurance company are sticklers and will want proof of the loss, and your invoice from Celebrity will be not broken down 50/50.  

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Katflorida said:

We have always used TravelGuard.  

Since we are taking 5 cruises between Feb 2023 and Feb 2024, we decided to go with an annual travel policy rather than purchase separate insurance for each cruise. We are fortunate to be able to drive to the ports from which we sail and take our time getting there (of course, not to say an accident couldn't happen) so our primary concerns are medical and evacuation. Most carriers seem to allow upgrades to the policy to increase coverage amounts as one wishes.  I'd suggest anyone who is taking multiple trips in a 12 month period to at least investigate an annual policy for it's considerably less expensive than "a' la carte".

1 minute ago, Bluewake said:

Since we are taking 5 cruises between Feb 2023 and Feb 2024, we decided to go with an annual travel policy rather than purchase separate insurance for each cruise. We are fortunate to be able to drive to the ports from which we sail and take our time getting there (of course, not to say an accident couldn't happen) so our primary concerns are medical and evacuation. Most carriers seem to allow upgrades to the policy to increase coverage amounts as one wishes.  I'd suggest anyone who is taking multiple trips in a 12 month period to at least investigate an annual policy for it's considerably less expensive than "a' la carte".

I have seen a policy from Chubb but it does not include trip cancellation coverage.  Is there one that covers this?

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

We have always used TravelGuard.  

We have also used AIG TravelGuard for many years and have always been happy with their service. One feature we like is that they offer a waiver for pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within approximately 2 weeks (can't remember exact number of days) from the time that the cruise was booked. We had to cancel a cruise once due to a major illness and successfully filed a claim. In 2020, we had a land trip cancelled by the tour operator when Covid caused countries to ban travel. The tour operator refunded our money and TravelGuard gave us a voucher for the amount of the policy which we were able to use when we rebooked our trip for 2022.

3 hours ago, cruisin lady ca said:

I have purchased insurance through TripInsuranceStore.com. I generally enter my cruise info on their website so that i can see my options. I then call and ask any questions I have about the policies and finalize my purchase over the phone. I have worked with Steve, Deanna and Kim for years and have always been happy with their service.

They are the best, they even answered and recommended things outside of their insurances.  Ie I had just upgraded my Chase sapphire to Reserve which has cruise insurance.  They said all I really need is a yearly travel med policy.  Which I got thru Geoblue, they did not push and say get a full trip insurance that also covered the costs.  Very professional and easy to deal with 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Katflorida said:

I have seen a policy from Chubb but it does not include trip cancellation coverage.  Is there one that covers this?

Check out Nationwide Travel Plus/Pro.  You can pay more to increase the amount of aggregate cancellation coverage.  However, it is not a “cancel for any reason” policy.  There are designated circumstances that must exist.  I think Allianz may also have an annual policy that has a cancellation feature.

1 hour ago, marys350 said:

We have also used AIG TravelGuard for many years and have always been happy with their service. One feature we like is that they offer a waiver for pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within approximately 2 weeks (can't remember exact number of days) from the time that the cruise was booked. We had to cancel a cruise once due to a major illness and successfully filed a claim. In 2020, we had a land trip cancelled by the tour operator when Covid caused countries to ban travel. The tour operator refunded our money and TravelGuard gave us a voucher for the amount of the policy which we were able to use when we rebooked our trip for 2022.

We also always purchase our insurance within a week after booking the cruise specifically for the pre-existing conditions waiver.  If we didn't, we would have been out $8000 for the 12 night back to back January Beyond cruises we had to cancel due to issues that resolved from my October knee replacement. 

Edited by Loracpin2
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, marys350 said:

The policies that the Trip Insurance Store offers also provide for a waiver of pre-exiting condition if purchased soon after booking. Having just done this, the window was on the order of 20-21 days. 

Another strong recommendation for TripInsuranceStore!

But *CALL* them.  There is no way the online summaries can adequately convey the details that may be needed for the various "what if's" for each person, for each trip, etc.

And most of the complaints when claims are denied turn out to be because the claim was not for a covered reason.  Steve and his associates can help you figure out what *your* insurance needs are likely to be, by asking some questions or by listening to what you are saying.  And... they can help with claims if desired.

All but one of our policies have been with Travel Insured, and ALL of our claims have been with them.  All of those claims (including some large claims) were paid promptly, without nonsense.

The "deadline" to purchase to get the pre-existing conditions covered can be as short as 10 days; it's not always 20.  Insurance is regulated by the states, so there are differences in the policies or even whether certain types of policies can be sold.

Again, make SURE that you understand what *your* needs are, and speaking with someone like Steve is an excellent way to get a good match with the policy you purchase.

GC

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bluewake said:

22 hours ago, Bluewake said:

Check out Nationwide Travel Plus/Pro.  

14 minutes ago, Katflorida said:

Thanks to everyone for the great information.  

Be careful if you are considering an annual comprehensive travel insurance plan.  While they definitely can be a lot cheaper than purchasing multiple individual plans, the coverage is not the same.  For many people they are not worth it.  It all depends on your individual situation and risk tolerance.  If you already have good foreign emergency medical coverage, take several inexpensive trips per year and have no pre-existing conditions (as defined in the policy), then either of the two Nationwide policies mentioned above could be a good value.  If not, be sure you understand everything.  

Here are some of the limitations for the Nationwide Travel Pro and Travel Plus Plans

• Maximum available trip cancelation/interruption combined benefit is $10K per year.  This is the total for all people on the policy combined. If you max out early in the year, you can't add more coverage.
  • Maximum medical is $10K per person, per trip.  Way too low in my opinion, unless you already have good coverage and only need this plan to cover deductibles and co-pays.
  • Medical coverage is secondary to your existing home medical coverage. Sometimes this is important and other times it can just be an inconvenience. It depends on you regular medical insurance.
  • Pre-existing conditions are subject to a 90 day lookback period. No waiver of pre-existing conditions is available. Most losses caused by or resulting from pre-existing conditions are excluded. Make sure you understand the definition of a pre-existing condition for travel insurance in case it could apply to you. 
  • Medical Evacuation is $50K per person, per trip. If all of your trips are to the Caribbean, this amount is adequate.  But still read the rules and limitations.  Unfortunately most single trip policies have similar rules.

Travel insurance is more complicated than it should be.  As others have suggested, speaking with a knowledgeable broker can help you gat the best policy for your personal situation.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Be careful if you are considering an annual comprehensive travel insurance plan.  While they definitely can be a lot cheaper than purchasing multiple individual plans, the coverage is not the same.  For many people they are not worth it.  It all depends on your individual situation and risk tolerance.  If you already have good foreign emergency medical coverage, take several inexpensive trips per year and have no pre-existing conditions (as defined in the policy), then either of the two Nationwide policies mentioned above could be a good value.  If not, be sure you understand everything.  

Here are some of the limitations for the Nationwide Travel Pro and Travel Plus Plans

• Maximum available trip cancelation/interruption combined benefit is $10K per year.  This is the total for all people on the policy combined. If you max out early in the year, you can't add more coverage.
  • Maximum medical is $10K per person, per trip.  Way too low in my opinion, unless you already have good coverage and only need this plan to cover deductibles and co-pays.
  • Medical coverage is secondary to your existing home medical coverage. Sometimes this is important and other times it can just be an inconvenience. It depends on you regular medical insurance.
  • Pre-existing conditions are subject to a 90 day lookback period. No waiver of pre-existing conditions is available. Most losses caused by or resulting from pre-existing conditions are excluded. Make sure you understand the definition of a pre-existing condition for travel insurance in case it could apply to you. 
  • Medical Evacuation is $50K per person, per trip. If all of your trips are to the Caribbean, this amount is adequate.  But still read the rules and limitations.  Unfortunately most single trip policies have similar rules.

Travel insurance is more complicated than it should be.  As others have suggested, speaking with a knowledgeable broker can help you gat the best policy for your personal situation.

Thanks for the very informative post.   We fall into the category you described so an annual policy seems to work for us. Our trips are all less than 10 days, are in the Caribbean, are not especially expensive because we stick to traditional inside/oceanview/balcony cabins as opposed to being in a Haven, Yacht Club, or Retreat, we are assuming/gambling we wouldn't need to cancel multiple cruises before final payment (fingers crossed!), and we have refundable deposits so we can cancel up to final payment.  As you noted, however, an annual policy probably would not work for those whose travels and accommodations are more extensive or "luxurious".   The only thing I'd add is that the medical coverage amounts for our Nationwide annual plus policy are a little bit higher than you suggested. Ours are as follows:

* Emergency Medical Expense $20,000 per person/per trip (secondary)

* Emergency Dental Expense $750 (included in Medical) per person/per trip (secondary)

* Emergency Medical Evacuation Emergency Medical Evacuation $250,000 per   

person/per trip  (secondary)

* Repatriation of Remains $250,000 per person/per trip (secondary)

Thanks for the great information you've offered.

Edited by Bluewake

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Another strong recommendation for TripInsuranceStore!

But *CALL* them.  There is no way the online summaries can adequately convey the details that may be needed for the various "what if's" for each person, for each trip, etc.

And most of the complaints when claims are denied turn out to be because the claim was not for a covered reason.  Steve and his associates can help you figure out what *your* insurance needs are likely to be, by asking some questions or by listening to what you are saying.  And... they can help with claims if desired.

All but one of our policies have been with Travel Insured, and ALL of our claims have been with them.  All of those claims (including some large claims) were paid promptly, without nonsense.

The "deadline" to purchase to get the pre-existing conditions covered can be as short as 10 days; it's not always 20.  Insurance is regulated by the states, so there are differences in the policies or even whether certain types of policies can be sold.

Again, make SURE that you understand what *your* needs are, and speaking with someone like Steve is an excellent way to get a good match with the policy you purchase.

GC

Thank you, @GeezerCouple and others who recommended Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com!   We called him today and were extremely pleased.  He is very easy to talk to, great at figuring out what's needed, and doesn't try to sell you stuff you don't need.  That was a great recommendation!  

• Like 1