Victoria for 4 hours at night - Worth it?

Hi All,

Ā 

I am taking an Alaska cruise, and we have a stop in Victoria. The only issue is that we arrive at the port at 8 pm and depart at 11:59 pm. So, basically, three full hours at night to see the beauty of Victoria. Is there anything that we can do that late or is it not even worth leaving the ship?

Ā 

TIA!

The only actually-open things are likely to be the pubs & restos; maybe the Royal BC Museum if it's a Fri/Sat and they do their late opening again this summer; maybe a few touristy shops in peak summer still open too.

Ā 

But Victoria is very pretty, and you paid the port fees, so frankly even if all you do is walk along the harbourfront for an hour or two, enjoying Ye Olde Buildings nicely lit-up, it's money and time well-spent! Personally I couldn't imagine even this short a stop without sinking a few pints in Swans - you can compare and contrast the same brew in it's original form (~10C, hand-pumped without extra fizzy gas added) as well as in the way the unfortunate souls of this continent have been conditioned to believe beer should be served (~4C, with extra fizz) because they maintain two beer cellars at different temps, virtually unheard of anywhere else on the continent (Spinnakers, also in Vic, also does this). šŸ˜‰

• Like 1

15 hours ago, martincath said:

The only actually-open things are likely to be the pubs & restos; maybe the Royal BC Museum if it's a Fri/Sat and they do their late opening again this summer; maybe a few touristy shops in peak summer still open too.

Ā 

But Victoria is very pretty, and you paid the port fees, so frankly even if all you do is walk along the harbourfront for an hour or two, enjoying Ye Olde Buildings nicely lit-up, it's money and time well-spent! Personally I couldn't imagine even this short a stop without sinking a few pints in Swans - you can compare and contrast the same brew in it's original form (~10C, hand-pumped without extra fizzy gas added) as well as in the way the unfortunate souls of this continent have been conditioned to believe beer should be served (~4C, with extra fizz) because they maintain two beer cellars at different temps, virtually unheard of anywhere else on the continent (Spinnakers, also in Vic, also does this). šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Excellent suggestions Martin. Two of my favourite pubs in Victoria. If fact, we will be heading out for a walk shortly around the harbour, stopping at Swans for lunch.

Ā 

I'll have my ale hand-pulled, if you please barman.šŸ˜

• Haha 1