Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Ave

Apologies if this has been asked many times before (I couldn't find the answer when I searched). We are staying at the Holiday Inn the night before sailing on Iona. Is it close enough to walk to the Ocean Terminal (easy route for dragging suitcases etc) or would a taxi be better. We're leaving the car at the hotel for the duration...

Any advice would be appreciated.

EC

It's around a mile walk between the hotel and the ship I believe.  I'd be surprised if the taxi was more than £8.

If you have booked the hotel and car parking together then it may be worth speaking to the hotel, because sometimes the package includes a voucher for a return taxi journey between the terminal and your car, or you can add that on. Personally, I would normally walk it, but not if I was pulling cases - get a cab.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Edna Cloud said:

Apologies if this has been asked many times before (I couldn't find the answer when I searched). We are staying at the Holiday Inn the night before sailing on Iona. Is it close enough to walk to the Ocean Terminal (easy route for dragging suitcases etc) or would a taxi be better. We're leaving the car at the hotel for the duration...

Any advice would be appreciated.

EC

Just get a taxi. Less than £10.

Just to add, you would normally ask this sort of question in the "ports of call " forum, as it is not P&O specific.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

It's around a mile walk between the hotel and the ship I believe.  I'd be surprised if the taxi was more than £8.

If you have booked the hotel and car parking together then it may be worth speaking to the hotel, because sometimes the package includes a voucher for a return taxi journey between the terminal and your car, or you can add that on. Personally, I would normally walk it, but not if I was pulling cases - get a cab.

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just get a taxi. Less than £10.

Just to add, you would normally ask this sort of question in the "ports of call " forum, as it is not P&O specific.

Thank you both; excellent advice (and very speedy) and apologies for posting in the wrong place.

I would suggest that when you check-in ask the receptionist at the holiday inn to book your taxi for the next morning.  We have stayed there many times and it can be a bit chaotic when everyone is trying to check-out at the same time and wanting them to book taxis.  The taxi drivers usually come into reception and call your name.

• Thanks 1

3/4 of a mile, about a 15 minute walk.

All on sidewalks on level ground, pleasant route, stay on the water side of the road so there are no major roads to cross, easy with rolling luggage.

We'd choose to walk.

But rapidly change our minds in inclement weather 😏.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 2

Does anyone know which room to book for the City Cruise Terminal (Royal Caribbean) view?  There are City, Premium City, Harbour, and Premium River view rooms.  Looking at the hotel it looks like there is only two sides, so I am not sure which one to book (guessing not city).  I booked the Premium River view since there were less of these rooms still left to book, but I will change it in case Harbour View is the way to go.  If the Harbour View and Premium River View rooms are the same side/view, what if any are the differences, besides room size.  I noticed the photos for each seemed to be the same and there was no real description for the differences.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by TheBucketLister

2 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

Does anyone know which room to book for the City Cruise Terminal (Royal Caribbean) view?  There are City, Premium City, Harbour, and Premium River view rooms.  Looking at the hotel it looks like there is only two sides, so I am not sure which one to book (guessing not city).  I booked the Premium River view since there were less of these rooms still left to book, but I will change it in case Harbour View is the way to go.  If the Harbour View and Premium River View rooms are the same side/view, what if any are the differences, besides room size.  I noticed the photos for each seemed to be the same and there was no real description for the differences.  Thank you in advance.

To cut a long story short, Harbour view (at the back of the hotel) looks over City cruise terminal, and your ship when it arrives at daft o'clock in the morning.

Without cutting the story short,.............

Rooms at the front look past  Ocean Terminal and the Old Docks, & down Southampton Water.

Rooms at the back look over City Terminal and the New Docks and up Southampton Water.

So both have harbour views & there's no "river view" - the River Test is waaaay out of sight at the head of Southampton Water.

So I phoned the hotel, chose  "Reception", no reply.

So I phoned again, chose "Room reservations". Goy didn't have a clue, he's elsewhere and deals with multiple HI's. He eventually put me thro to someone in Southampton, who said folk could e-mail to specify. I told her folk make their choice on the booking form.

She eventually said that rooms at the back are Harbour View.

Such are the problems of multi-national organisations having centralised back-offices, staff in a hotel not taking bookings, and an ambiguous website. 🙄

Rant over 😏 - but I suggest you clarify in the "requests" part of the booking form.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2