Boarding time question

Sheep Flavour

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

We are party of 11 eri boarding time and have just got our boarding times. 12.15 for 2 of us and 4pm for the rest. As we are all travelling together we will turn up  12.15 and hope they let us on.

Might have done a few years ago, however they are cracking down on people arriving very early for their boarding time. People are reporting having to queue standing outside for a long time. Therefore I would say unlikely. If you ask P&O the standard reply is all board at the later time. It is different I think with people in the same cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Good luck to the terminal staff when they have 4 bored noisy boys running around the terminal creating mayhem for 4 hours. And my diabetic daughter in law who will not have thought to bring snacks with her.....

It would seem harsh not to allow us to board together. The cheapest way for us all to get to the port was by hiring a minibus and driver, rather than 4 taxis.  We live within an hour of the port and althugh our family is spread around the country they will all be with us the night before. 

I think as you live within an hour of Southampton and everyone is staying with you the night before, I would be inclined to wait at home until 2pm so everyone can eat and the kids can wear themselves out.

I wouldn’t take the risk of having to wait over 4 hours outside on the outside chance P&O will let you on at 1215
Have a lovely time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Seeing the queue is outside. They won't be too bothered 

I have found there is a playground nearby and of course West Quay but I am loathe to wander around Southampton with passports - I know of 2 people denied boarding in the last 10 day as their passports were stolen in the city.

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

Don't hold your breath!

You may find, as the majority are the later time, the first two will be given the opportunity to wait with them.

Ha, that's great for us but not for everyone else! 

31 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Off to the park with the  children then.

You could of course board early, and.have 4 hours peace before the others arrive

You may need it if they have all stayed overnight! 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

We are party of 11 and have just got our boarding times. 12.15 for 2 of us and 4pm for the rest. As we are all travelling together we will turn up fpr 12.15 and hope they let us on.

In your situation, I would aim for around 3pm. You can’t expect 9 other passengers to jump the queue. 

34 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

In your situation, I would aim for around 3pm. You can’t expect 9 other passengers to jump the queue. 

We are looking to see if we can change the time the minibus is picking us up. I get your point about queue jumping but my DH has just said that people arriving by coach with late boarding times will be able to board straightaway. If this wasn't such an important cruise for us (DH is 70 that day) I wouldn't be bothered about the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

We are looking to see if we can change the time the minibus is picking us up. I get your point about queue jumping but my DH has just said that people arriving by coach with late boarding times will be able to board straightaway. If this wasn't such an important cruise for us (DH is 70 that day) I wouldn't be bothered about the time.

I know it’s an outside chance, but is it worth phoning P&O and asking that as it’s a special birthday and can you all possibly board together at an earlier time? It’s always worth a try!

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Coaches are scheduled to arrive during a 2pm to 3pm slot according to molecrochip, a regular on this board who has inside information.  4 pm does sound very late though, have you been told what the last embarkation time is, which is what would bother me?

I understand they let you drop luggage off early, so that would make it easier to roam off with just hand luggage.  Perhaps keep passports well buried in your bags.

Edited by tring

Hi 

Thank you for your advice. I will check the last boarding time and they can drop off the luggage. I might keep the passports with me and then pop off the ship when they are ready to board.

The people who lost their passports had their bags stolen so lost money and credit cards too😪

12 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

The people who lost their passports had their bags stolen so lost money and credit cards too

There are plenty of secure passport pouches on Amazon

13 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

and then pop off the ship when they are ready to board.

I wouldn't count on that being a possibility as getting back out to the arrivals hall will not be straightforward.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

There are plenty of secure passport pouches on Amazon

I wouldn't count on that being a possibility as getting back out to the arrivals hall will not be straightforward.

Thanks I'll look into that

16 hours ago, tring said:

Coaches are scheduled to arrive during a 2pm to 3pm slot according to molecrochip, a regular on this board who has inside information.  4 pm does sound very late though, have you been told what the last embarkation time is, which is what would bother me?

I understand they let you drop luggage off early, so that would make it easier to roam off with just hand luggage.  Perhaps keep passports well buried in your bags.

Last boarding time stated as 4.30pm on my 4.00pm boarding pass.  However now that my assistance is confirmed my boarding pass has been changed to show to be confirmed. I assume I'll get further updates however intend to arrive for 3.00pm as indicated by the person who dealt with the assistance form.

Interestingly had an email confirming how P&O deal with hidden disabilities which states 3.00pm as the quietest time for people needing calm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Last boarding time stated as 4.30pm on my 4.00pm boarding pass.  However now that my assistance is confirmed my boarding pass has been changed to show to be confirmed. I assume I'll get further updates however intend to arrive for 3.00pm as indicated by the person who dealt with the assistance form.

Interestingly had an email confirming how P&O deal with hidden disabilities which states 3.00pm as the quietest time for people needing calm.

That's interesting as 3 of the 11 of us have hidden disabilities, so I will ask if we can change to 3pm. thank you.

1 minute ago, Cathygh said:

That's interesting as 3 of the 11 of us have hidden disabilities, so I will ask if we can change to 3pm. thank you.

I’m not suggesting that you are trying to do this, but those who try to ‘play’ the assisted boarding service in order to try to queue jump can often find that it backfires plus, of course, it delays those who genuinely need the service. We disembarked Queen Mary 2 yesterday, which is relevant as they use the same shore based assistance staff as P&O. 

During the cruise, my wife was one of only a very small number of wheelchair users on the ship. We also saw very few people with walking difficulties. However, when we went to the Golden Lion (the area used for assisted disembarkation) it was absolutely rammed with people who all of a sudden needed assistance to walk the very short distance off the ship. We have noticed this on every P&O cruise we have done as well. 

We arrived after our designated disembarkation time as we were a little late leaving breakfast and my heart sank when I saw the crowds waiting for assistance, because I cannot push my wife and our luggage at the same time. I went to the assistance desk to ask if there were porters available, with a view to pushing my wife off the ship myself and getting assistance in the luggage hall. Anyway, as we had arrived after our designated time, we were allocated a ‘pusher’ immediately and taken straight off the ship without even needing to wait at all, whilst all those in the assistance lounge continued to wait.

As we disembarked I noticed that there were virtually no queues at all, so those not needing assistance would have been walking straight off, whereas by requesting assistance and arriving early for it most likely resulted in a delay. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m not suggesting that you are trying to do this, but those who try to ‘play’ the assisted boarding service in order to try to queue jump can often find that it backfires plus, of course, it delays those who genuinely need the service. We disembarked Queen Mary 2 yesterday, which is relevant as they use the same shore based assistance staff as P&O. 

During the cruise, my wife was one of only a very small number of wheelchair users on the ship. We also saw very few people with walking difficulties. However, when we went to the Golden Lion (the area used for assisted disembarkation) it was absolutely rammed with people who all of a sudden needed assistance to walk the very short distance off the ship. We have noticed this on every P&O cruise we have done as well. 

We arrived after our designated disembarkation time as we were a little late leaving breakfast and my heart sank when I saw the crowds waiting for assistance, because I cannot push my wife and our luggage at the same time. I went to the assistance desk to ask if there were porters available, with a view to pushing my wife off the ship myself and getting assistance in the luggage hall. Anyway, as we had arrived after our designated time, we were allocated a ‘pusher’ immediately and taken straight off the ship without even needing to wait at all, whilst all those in the assistance lounge continued to wait.

As we disembarked I noticed that there were virtually no queues at all, so those not needing assistance would have been walking straight off, whereas by requesting assistance and arriving early for it most likely resulted in a delay. 

I cannot see why those people were needing to do that on QM2.  I did not register for help even though it could have been done but as the disembarkation on QM2 was direct from cabin in an allocated space could not see the need to interfere with the needs of those requiring assistance with walking.  My time was 9.00am from my cabin, so breakfast at 7.15 followed by a stroll and then sitting watching the news in my cabin,  I left there at 8.55 arriving in the deck 2 disembarkation area at precisely 9.00am and a small moving queue off the ship by 9.10, luggage collected and out of the door by 9.15am. My husband on receipt of my text from luggage hall was pulling into the pick up zone at 9.20am and we were straight out and home by 9.55am.

Disembarkation from Arvia looks far more complex and stressful.  Here is the text of the email I received.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Recognising that time in the terminal for guests with hidden disabilities can be stressful, I can confirm I have added embarkation assistance to your booking.

Upon arrival at the correct terminal in Southampton, you will be directed to a drop off lane where you unload your luggage, porters are available to assist with this. Your luggage will then be transferred onto the ship and will be outside your cabin when you arrive. When boarding you should only be carrying your hand luggage on board with you.

Once you dropped off your luggage, please make yourselves known to the assistance team in the high visibility vests for assistance, they will guide you to the registration area at the enquiries desk, then we can assist you through the terminal and onto the ship, they can also direct you to a quieter space to wait prior to embarking.

Once embarkation is underway, the Ground Services team will be able to guide you through security and safely on board as efficiently as possible, in order to make it a smooth embarkation.

The Enquiries desks are located at:

·       Ocean Terminal - Upper level, to the right of the escalator

·       Mayflower Terminal - Top of the Ramp, to the right

• QEII Terminal - Right hand side as you enter the check-in area

For disembarkation, we would recommend self-disembarking early or to wait in a quiet area and proceed ashore as late as you are able to.

We kindly request that you arrive at your allocated embarkation time on your boarding pass or after 15.00. This is an anticipated quieter time for guests embarking with hidden disabilities and 15.00 onwards is generally free flowing onto the ship and a more comfortable experience for all.  If guests arrive earlier than their allocated time, an extended wait may be incurred whilst waiting for the available team to prioritise guests adhering to their correct arrival time.   No priority can be given to guests arriving early and they may be asked to wait until their allocated time. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Unquote 

You will note they advise either self disembarkation or wait to the very end, so I don't think that special assistance for leaving the ship would be needed for anyone other than wheelchair users etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Hi. I can understand that would be frustrating. Recently at Miami airport I saw a lot of people with walking sticks do down the assisted line at passport control who did not need them afterwards.

All of our issues have medical or educational paperwork to back it up so we will see if P&O will help.

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I cannot see why those people were needing to do that on QM2.  I did not register for help even though it could have been done but as the disembarkation on QM2 was direct from cabin in an allocated space could not see the need to interfere with the needs of those requiring assistance with walking.  My time was 9.00am from my cabin, so breakfast at 7.15 followed by a stroll and then sitting watching the news in my cabin,  I left there at 8.55 arriving in the deck 2 disembarkation area at precisely 9.00am and a small moving queue off the ship by 9.10, luggage collected and out of the door by 9.15am. My husband on receipt of my text from luggage hall was pulling into the pick up zone at 9.20am and we were straight out and home by 9.55am.

Disembarkation from Arvia looks far more complex and stressful.  Here is the text of the email I received.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Recognising that time in the terminal for guests with hidden disabilities can be stressful, I can confirm I have added embarkation assistance to your booking.

Upon arrival at the correct terminal in Southampton, you will be directed to a drop off lane where you unload your luggage, porters are available to assist with this. Your luggage will then be transferred onto the ship and will be outside your cabin when you arrive. When boarding you should only be carrying your hand luggage on board with you.

Once you dropped off your luggage, please make yourselves known to the assistance team in the high visibility vests for assistance, they will guide you to the registration area at the enquiries desk, then we can assist you through the terminal and onto the ship, they can also direct you to a quieter space to wait prior to embarking.

Once embarkation is underway, the Ground Services team will be able to guide you through security and safely on board as efficiently as possible, in order to make it a smooth embarkation.

The Enquiries desks are located at:

·       Ocean Terminal - Upper level, to the right of the escalator

·       Mayflower Terminal - Top of the Ramp, to the right

• QEII Terminal - Right hand side as you enter the check-in area

For disembarkation, we would recommend self-disembarking early or to wait in a quiet area and proceed ashore as late as you are able to.

We kindly request that you arrive at your allocated embarkation time on your boarding pass or after 15.00. This is an anticipated quieter time for guests embarking with hidden disabilities and 15.00 onwards is generally free flowing onto the ship and a more comfortable experience for all.  If guests arrive earlier than their allocated time, an extended wait may be incurred whilst waiting for the available team to prioritise guests adhering to their correct arrival time.   No priority can be given to guests arriving early and they may be asked to wait until their allocated time. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Unquote 

You will note they advise either self disembarkation or wait to the very end, so I don't think that special assistance for leaving the ship would be needed for anyone other than wheelchair users etc.

That’s good to hear. As you know it was our first non-P&O and therefore first Cunard cruise. We were hugely impressed with many things that we felt Cunard do better and the disembarkation process was one of them. We thought that it is strange that as the two cruise lines are part of the same company why best practice from one isn’t adopted by the others. Bit of a random question, but given your user name (the penny having just dropped), were you by any chance the lady who was accompanied by a teddy bear? 🤔

• Like 1

people who all of a sudden needed assistance to walk the very short distance off the ship

I remember on one cruise that there was a lady (using the term generously!) announcing in a very loud voice "I always use a walking stick when embarking/disembarking as it is quicker, but otherwise I leave it in my cabin"

So it is nothing new.

Ultimately it will result in having to have a "doctor's note" to access this facility.

That’s good to hear. As you know it was our first non-P&O and therefore first Cunard cruise. We were hugely impressed with many things that we felt Cunard do better and the disembarkation process was one of them. We thought that it is strange that as the two cruise lines are part of the same company why best practice from one isn’t adopted by the others. Bit of a random question, but given your user name (the penny having just dropped), were you by any chance the lady who was accompanied by a teddy bear? 🤔

Yes, I had him with me. He loves a good Cunard cruise!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, I had him with me. He loves a good Cunard cruise!

I wish I had twigged on the ship. I saw you a couple of times with the bear and one time you were sat in the G32 nightclub during the daytime on your iPad when I was showing my wife the areas of the ship that she hadn’t yet seen. I said good morning to you as we walked past but am now kicking myself that I didn’t realise who you were as I would have stopped to have a chat. I hope that you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wish I had twigged on the ship. I saw you a couple of times with the bear and one time you were sat in the G32 nightclub on your iPad when I was showing my wife the areas of the ship that she hadn’t yet seen. I said good morning to you as we walked past but am now kicking myself that I didn’t realise who you were as I would have stopped to have a chat. I hope that you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did. 

Never mind, maybe next time.  I did break cover at breakfast one morning to help three solo travelling ladies who were having insurance problems from a previous P&O cruise when one became very unwell.  Apart from that I stayed pretty much incognito although a lady I'd dined with on my WC in 2019 came rushing up to me at the Coronation Fayre as she recognised the bear, not me mind you! We had a good laugh about that and enjoyed a nice chat. The bear is famous not, it seems, his esteemed travelling companion.

I'm glad you enjoyed my all time favourite ship.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do you actually carry the bear around the ship then? 

I take the bear out for photographs and return him to the cabin.  I've been taking him round the world for photographs since 2011 when my friend who gave him to me was seriously unwell and asked me to take him on my travels so that she could live vicariously through him..  He had a blog until the pandemic.  He's quite well known in places I visit regularly.

• Like 3