In a handicap cabin, but dont need it.

jonthomas

9 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

How would I prove they chose the cabin?

Of course, you cannot prove it now.  Just call and be persistent (why would you ask for that cabin if you really don't need it; it would be very unusual for a person who needs it and asked about it to change their mind later asking to assign a regular cabin; it would occur if, for example, you broke your leg, but then you most likely still wouldn't request such a cabin 2 years ahead of your cruise) and mentioned the agent's name, too (most likely they have that person's name anyway associated with your booking).

Well that certainly applies to us. I have been in touch with the O rep, he knows he put us in that cabin without our consent. 

We have turned the booking over to a TA. She said she now has us waitlisted for the same cat we are in. So I checked with our O rep, he said NO, we can't be waitlisted for the same cat we are already in.

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

The same thing happened to us on our April 2025 cruise. There were several cabins available in our category, the Oceania agent booked a cabin for us and it turns out it's an accessible cabin. By the time I discovered that the cabin was accessible, the category was sold out. Upgrading would cost more than we're comfortable with, so I'm hoping for a price drop and then we'll change cabins.

Patty, you are also 2 years away. What is your TA telling you to do?

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Since an Oceania agent d (not a personal travel agent) did it without your consent, I would contact the cruise line for a complimentary upgrade, because unless you request the accessible cabin and other cabins are available in the same category, the agent may not book an accessible cabin, because they are specifically reserved for people who need them (it's just a mistake).

I don't want the O rep to get into hot water. He is a really good guy. We have dealt with him for a long time. He meant well, but I don't see any other way to get out of this mess. You have given us some very good advice here.

It will also be our 15th O cruise, so hope it holds some weight.

May then be easier for you to deal directly with O.

Most of the time they won't talk to you when you have a TA.

Please let me know what you will do. It's helpful to know I am not alone in this.

Edited by jonthomas

39 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

May then be easier for you to deal directly with O.

Most of the time they won't talk to you when you have a TA.

Please let me know what you will do. It's helpful to know I am not alone in this.

They typically don't talk if a discussion is in regard of a financial aspect.  They must be able to talk directly to a customer about concerns and issues, and if they refuse I always ask them to transfer me to their supervisor (at that level they at least listen to one's whole "story" first).

Edited by kirtihk

I was also thinking of writing to guest relations but sometimes if you get a negative response and you take it further, you are told the matter has been answered and is now closed. Then my only option would be to cancel.

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I was also thinking of writing to guest relations but sometimes if you get a negative response and you take it further, you are told the matter has been answered and is now closed. Then my only option would be to cancel.

yes, we almost always make tough choices.

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

You also could  just  wait  a bit & see if the B5 cat opens up in the next year or so

As I said before  we  booked a B3 &  a week or so later  a B5 opened up  so we switched  to that

You have made your TA & Rep aware of the situation   so let them deal with it  

Also keep watching to see if the B5 comes available

If it is stressing you out this much might be time to reconsider  the cruise

JMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Just re read your post. NO OTHER CABINS were available in the same cat, but he should still have asked us before putting us into it and losing our chance of getting on a wait list.

Totally confused. We have never been put in a cabin we didn’t want. I’m willing to bet the O rep placed you into the cabin with a 7 day hold. During that seven day period you had the opportunity to decide if you would accept the cabin, and contract, by making down payment for such. You could have rejected the contract, waited, and possibly later either rebook as a waitlist, or when/if a different cabin became available.

Why are you blaming the O rep for your exercise of Free Will?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Totally confused. We have never been put in a cabin we didn’t want. I’m willing to bet the O rep placed you into the cabin with a 7 day hold. During that seven day period you had the opportunity to decide if you would accept the cabin, and contract, by making down payment for such. You could have rejected the contract, waited, and possibly later either rebook as a waitlist, or when/if a different cabin became available.

Why are you blaming the O rep for your exercise of Free Will?

We paid the deposit when we booked the cruise. We were NOT on hold. 

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

We paid the deposit when we booked the cruise. We were NOT on hold. 

The British system is obviously different from what we do in the USA.

Here, we individually us a Travel Agent. The TA ( or O rep if used) makes an initial cabin booking. The passengers are then sent an invoice/ contract spelling out the cabin number, any applicable PPG, OBC, and other perks for the contract. Also a very long list of T&Cs are included. One has seven (7) days to accept said booking and pay the appropriate deposit confirming said contract, or rejecting it and not making deposit.

No one is placed or forced into any cabin Or contract. Deposit is never made ( on our part) until we have seen and clarified any issues with the contract.

It will be interesting to learn how the procedure differs for you Brits.

57 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The British system is obviously different from what we do in the USA.

I think Patty is in the USA   ..

Washington State ???

Yup also gave deposit right away.

And you are correct, I should have checked out the cabin before giving deposit. 

However the O rep should have made us aware that it was an HC cabin. It should not be assumed that anyone will take a cabin like that without any hesitation.

Yup some say wait, let your agent do their job and some say cancel right away.

I will wait knowing that without taking any other action, waiting will get me nowhere. 

24 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yup some say wait, let your agent do their job and some say cancel right away.

I will wait knowing that without taking any other action, waiting will get me nowhere. 

I am not sure what your expectations are  at this point in time ??

You said your TA has wait listed you for  another cabin

Just check  daily to see if any cabins  in the Category come available  then call your TA to grab it for you

I do not think Oceania is going to bump someone  out of a B5  for you

The other option is to find another cruise with a cabin that is available  that suits your budget

If it is making you miserable  then change   what you can & not dwell on things you cannot change

Ciao, Adios, Au Revoir

I guess this is more difficult to understand than I thought.

The TA can not wait list us for the cat we are already in.

O obviously can't give us a cabin they don't have.

I booked it on opening day to get the cat I wanted. Since all except HC was gone, the O rep should have given us a choice at that time. 

At that time we would have given deposit to be on a wait list in that cat. There was no wait list, we would have it by now.

Now the wait lists for both lowest categories are huge.

You are correct,  our only option is to cancel.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, kirtihk said:

If someone booked the same cruise and needs handicap cabin, and it's not available, the cruise line would automatically (without contacting) assign to a person (who currently has that cabin and didn't request it to be handicap) a different cabin of the same category (even if a newly assigned cabin is located in an undesirable position of the ship) or higher (similar to guaranteed cabin category) - it's in fine print.  That's what my travel agent warned me on a few occasions within last 24 years.  So, there is no "need" to feel guilty.

Absolutely, totally incorrect. 

This is not true AT ALL 

23 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I don't know why he booked handicap cabin without your request (unless only that cabin was available at a time of booking), and what he meant by "don't worry".

Because Oceania Cruises is an ableist company. 

They do not care about being accessible.  They care about filling the cabins. 

12 minutes ago, latitude 22 said:

Absolutely, totally incorrect. 

This is not true AT ALL 

Hmm, if that is absolute not true how come did I experienced it about 15 years ago?  Did it occur to me on a different planet? Also why do people write everything so forceful and in a harsh way these days?

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Hmm, if that is absolute not true how come did I experienced it about 15 years ago?  Did it occur to me on a different planet? Also why do people write everything so forceful and in a harsh way these days?

Have you read my past posts on this thread?  

Oceania has not supported me as a disabled person whatsoever in obtaining an accesible cabin

when an able bodied person booked it, 

Oceania has actually told inhabitant of an accessible cabin who tried to trade with me while onboard, that they as an able bodied person shoukd just keep and enjoy it because it was bigger than what I had. 

And i said earlier I’m leaving on a cruise in a couple of days. I came down with a massive and severe Rheumatoid Arthritis flare so my doctor has me on high dose prednisone. 

So, i’m not my normal gracious smile sweetly and suck it up self, 

while I experience ableism. 

Roid rage is real and I have no sensor.  

2 hours ago, latitude 22 said:

Have you read my past posts on this thread?  

Oceania has not supported me as a disabled person whatsoever in obtaining an accesible cabin

when an able bodied person booked it, 

Oceania has actually told inhabitant of an accessible cabin who tried to trade with me while onboard, that they as an able bodied person shoukd just keep and enjoy it because it was bigger than what I had. 

And i said earlier I’m leaving on a cruise in a couple of days. I came down with a massive and severe Rheumatoid Arthritis flare so my doctor has me on high dose prednisone. 

So, i’m not my normal gracious smile sweetly and suck it up self, 

while I experience ableism. 

Roid rage is real and I have no sensor.  

Oh, boy!  Sorry to hear that.  That is not acceptable situation whatsoever! No way! I would go all the way up to bring this matter to a proper resolution. It just doesn’t make any sense!  The cruise line must do what I wrote originally without any hesitation.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

and what you wrote "kirtihk" was the only thing that made sense to me....

to call customer service, appraise them of the situation , that I was given an accessible cabin without my approval, once I realized what it was I was stuck in a category that I could not wait list for...and keep calling them....

hate to do that since I value my O rep, a wonderful fellow who in this case made a mistake...

just cancelling accomplishes nothing, nothing for me, nothing for anyone who NEEDS this cabin, as probably someone will take it for its size and it does not prevent O from doing the same thing over and over again....so not even a small  policy change...

policy changes do not happen when someone like me cancels a cruise....

yeah maybe you are laughing, that who does he think he is to hope to change policy, yeah I hear you...

but at least I have to try....