Hamburg on Sunday Christmas Eve

Hello All

since 12/24 is a Sunday this year , I am wondering if there are any

locsls on here that can tell us what will be open, it appears from the 22/23 Christmas market schedule it said 12-6 on sundays. What else if anything will be open? We will be in port for 14 hours so have a lot of time to do anything and everything lol. Thank you in advance for your time!

12 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

Hello All

since 12/24 is a Sunday this year , I am wondering if there are any

locsls on here that can tell us what will be open, it appears from the 22/23 Christmas market schedule it said 12-6 on sundays. What else if anything will be open? We will be in port for 14 hours so have a lot of time to do anything and everything lol. Thank you in advance for your time!

Have been wondering the same thing!!! This was certainly a bummer finding this out after booking the cruise. Trying to figure out what to do with the time.

32 minutes ago, beyondthepalace said:

Have been wondering the same thing!!! This was certainly a bummer finding this out after booking the cruise. Trying to figure out what to do with the time.

I have contacted chamber of commerce and welcome visitors center - I will report back once I receive their response. 

5 minutes ago, scoochy12 said:

I have contacted chamber of commerce and welcome visitors center - I will report back once I receive their response. 

Awesome..Please do! I realize that a lot of places do not have their plans set yet but its crazy stress on us cruisers!

• 4 weeks later...

I would see if you could fit in a Christmas Eve church service in one of the old , historic Hauptkirche St Petri.  I bet it will be music filled and quite wonderful.   no matter  your persuasion music in these spaces is usually worth experiencing

In Germany we have on Sundays in general closed most of the shops and small vendors. Museum, Zoo, Tourist Attractions etc. are open.

On the Christmas Eve even those tourist attractions could be closed, as this is the most celebrated evening of the christmas days. Santa Clause and the "Christkind" are bringing traditionally the presents on the 24th late afternoon/early evening - so from 3pm you will find the streets mostly empty. Also Cafes and Restaurants often close on this afternoon/evening. So please check carefully if the place you choosed to go is really open on this day.

• 1 month later...

On Christmas Eve Germany shuts down around 2 pm - even if it is not a sunday

Christmas markets end usually the day before, most attractions won’t be open after 2 pm (if even), no supermarkets will be open - and limited hours for cafes and restaurants

def recommend a Christmas church service - they are typical in the early afternoon aswell 

otherwise it’s possible to explore Hamburg of course all the time without anything been open, just enjoy exploring the city 

attractions should have listed their closing days on the site (the famous miniaturenland is open - pre book any tickets)

If there is a cafe or restaurant you plan to visit, contact them in November and inquire about their Christmas Eve hours

Edited by schnapperin

On 6/30/2023 at 4:06 AM, schnapperin said:

On Christmas Eve Germany shuts down around 2 pm - even if it is not a sunday

Christmas markets end usually the day before, most attractions won’t be open after 2 pm (if even), no supermarkets will be open - and limited hours for cafes and restaurants

def recommend a Christmas church service - they are typical in the early afternoon aswell 

otherwise it’s possible to explore Hamburg of course all the time without anything been open, just enjoy exploring the city 

attractions should have listed their closing days on the site (the famous miniaturenland is open - pre book any tickets)

If there is a cafe or restaurant you plan to visit, contact them in November and inquire about their Christmas Eve hours

This is great advice. Thank you!