QM2 TA crossing questions

fsufancc

Sailing a TA on the QM2 is a "bucket list" trip for us and I am curious about Cunard and how their pricing works and best times to sail. 

Do the transatlantic crossings sell out frequently?

Is there a "shoulder" season for TA crossings that would have less passengers and better discounts?

Does Cunard have a "Going, going, gone" type webpage to find last minute deals?

Once a sailing and room has been chosen, are there any options for upgrades?

Is it less expensive to go in a specific direction? UK to US or vice-versa?

Sorry if these questions seem rudimentary, but I just don't know a lot about Cunard.

Summer TA's tend to be more expensive.

There are Sailing Soon rates after final payment date where entire fare is due at booking assuming the voyage is not sold out.

Cunard has recently introduced Bid For Upgrades available approximately 80 days before sailing on select voyages. Currently only for passengers who booked directly with Cunard. Jury is still out on this since it's so new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

Sailing a TA on the QM2 is a "bucket list" trip for us and I am curious about Cunard and how their pricing works and best times to sail. 

Dynamic pricing and the whims of the 'upgrade fairy' do their best to fill the ship to capacity - see also the 'sailing soon' prices for bookings within the final payment window.

Is there a "shoulder" season for TA crossings that would have less passengers and better discounts?

Not so much a season as matching special events [when the events are announced sufficiently in advance] There are special crossings for fashion week, a 'festival of food and wine', literary stuff & a crossing with the English National Symphony. We did not know in advance, but lucked into crossings with the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts [2019] and the Royal Shakespeare Company [2022]. 

The December crossings feature the ship decorated for Christmas.

We looked at doing a conventional fly then sail back trip back in 2017. Airfare, plus hotel stay, ground transportation and other expenses seemed to put a round trip sailing into the same ballpark. So, we decided to book a round trip. We's done two more round trips [2019 & 2022] with a fourth booked for 2024.

Westbound crossings feature 25 hour days as you cross 5 time zones. Flying east you would loose all five hours at between wheels up and wheels down.

Sorry if these questions seem rudimentary, but I just don't know a lot about Cunard.

• Thanks 1

OP’s questions seem to be about least cost for a TA.

Monitor TA’s that do not have a theme , non summer .

In the US Cunard has 1 Sale after another . Some better than others 

watch for the ones with Paid Grats , upgrades , speciality dinners ,and OBC, then book.

Find a good travel agent that has a Group for better rate and some amenities. additional .

Cunard permits travel agents to discount their best rates . ( can’t advertise them , must contact).

Cunard does require that you cancel and rebook to take advantage of a lower fare .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tv24 said:

We have found that the crossings between Thanksgiving and Christmas are priced a bit lower than others.

This is also what we have seen. We have done the mid-December (December 15 or so) westbound crossing a few times and found it generally to be the lowest priced one offered in almost all years.

23 hours ago, fsufancc said:

Summer is more expensive, and I think westbound is more popular, because of the New York arrival and the longer days with the clock changes.  Westbound is however typically a lot more windy on deck. The outward facing cabins sell out and Cunard then has to shift the interior ones - for a first timer an inside cabin is perfectly acceptable - you’ll be out enjoying the ship all the time, not sitting in the cabin, and the ship is stuffed with attractive places to hang out when you need some quiet time.  There are often last minute offers on inside cabins.  You can opt for an upgrade, and you never know - I got one on my very first TA, but not since.

• Thanks 1